Archive

Archive for March, 2010

Worker Fatally Electrocuted in Kansas

March 29, 2010 Leave a comment

PARTRIDGE, KS – A member of an electrical crew from Texas was electrocuted while working in the 11000 block of West Lake Cable Road, about 2.5 miles south of Partridge, early Tuesday evening.

Five trucks from Bird Electric in Eastland, Texas, were working along Lake Cable Road and nearby Centennial Road, setting new power poles and stringing new wire.

Reno County Deputy Sheriff John Orrison said co-workers noticed that the man, who was suspended in a cherry picker while working on the lines, had been injured about 6 p.m. and called for emergency aid. The co-workers declined to comment on what happened.

An ambulance left the scene to take the man, whose identity was not being released, to Promise Regional Medical Center about 40 minutes after the initial call. The hospital said about two hours later that he had died.

 

Martin Technical Electrical Safety Consulting and Solutions

Advertisement

via Worker electrocuted in accident near Partridge.

PA Worker Dies After Electrical Shock at Delran Complex

March 26, 2010 Leave a comment

DELRAN, PA — One of two workers that were shocked by a power line at the Hunters Glen Apartments complex has died, police said Friday.

According to investigators, Pawel Pieklo, 52, of Trenton, and Jiri Niederle, 41, of Norrisville, Pa., were working at Building 27 in the complex off Route 130 at around 4:45 p.m. p.m. when a ladder they were moving cam into contact with some overhead wires.  The two suffered severe electrical burns and were taken to area hospitals, police said.

Pieklo was taken to Lourdes Medical Center of Burlington County in Willingboro, where he was pronounced dead Thursday night.

Niederele was taken to Cooper University Hospital in Camden. He was listed in critical but stable condition Friday morning, police said.

Investigators said the men worked as roofers for AIM Construction LLP of Morrisville, PA

via PhillyBurbs.com:  UPDATE: Worker dies after being shocked at Delran complex.

Puget Sound Energy Contractor Electrocuted

March 26, 2010 Leave a comment

KIRKLAND, WAPuget Sound Energy has confirmed that a contractor came into contact with electrical equipment near the Juanita Substation in Kirkland on the morning of March 19th.  The worker was transported to Harborview Medical Center for treatment.

PSE officials would not confirm the contractor’s condition but the worker was reportedly electrocuted. Emergency responders, including Kirkland and Redmond fire fighters, found the worker with electrical burns.

A neighbor notified the Kirkland Reporter that workers on the scene stated that the contractor was electrocuted while in the process of running new lines to the substation.

via PSE contractor reportedly electrocuted, sent to Harborview – Kirkland Reporter.

Categories: Industrial, Shock Tags: , ,

$1.6 Million Award in Workplace Electrocution Lawsuit

March 23, 2010 Leave a comment

SALINAS, CA –  A $1,642,475 net settlement has been awarded to the two children who lost their father to a workplace accident.  Daniel Raya, a 49-year old employee at a Salinas lettuce-packing plant, cut into a cable while installing a scale installation at the plant. He recieved an electrical shock with a 100 volt eletrical current and died.

Mr. Raya’s 19-year old daughter and five-year old son sued JCJ Electric Inc. for leaving a live cable source on the ground without warning about it and failing to turn off the power source at the main grid.

However, the defense argued that Mr. Raya was trained on electrical safety to check that a power source was inactive before starting a job, and in failing to do so he had disregarded his training. The jury awarded $5,322,256, but determined that JCJ was 30.8-percent at fault for the accident.

via Jury Awards $1,642,475 in Workplace Electrocution Lawsuit.

Florida Boy Touches 7,600 Volt Power Line inside Transformer Box in Neighborhood

March 23, 2010 Leave a comment

SARASOTA, FL – A  6 year old boy reached into a green transformer box and touched a live 7,600 volt wire.  The boy was outside playing when the  open door to the transformer attracted him.  The transformer lock kept its metal door shut, but neighbors knew for at least two years that the lock was defective. They called Florida Power & Light about the danger, and FPL locked a narrow steel safety band around the box to hold the door shut.  But neighbors say the band was flimsy and slid down around the base of the transformer after children used it as a step to climb on top.

The shock lifted him off his feet, scorching his face and arms, and melting his clothes to his skin.  Neighbors found the boy on the ground, convulsing and close to death. One neighbor performed CPR to restart his heart before he was taken to Tampa General Hospital.

via A child is burned, and a community feels stung | HeraldTribune.com.

25 Dead in Central China Coal Mine from Electrical Fire

March 23, 2010 Leave a comment

BEIJING  CHINA — An electrical fire at an illegal coal mine in central China has left 25 people dead.  The mine is located in Xinmi city, which is overseen by Zhengzhou city.

via The Associated Press: 25 dead in central China coal mine fire.

3 Houston Firefighters Hurt after Ladder Strikes Power Line

March 23, 2010 Leave a comment

HOUSTON, TX – Three firefighters were taken to the hospital with minor injuries this morning after a fire engine ladder touched a power line, causing the truck to become electrified and a tire to explode.  The firefighters were testing equipment around 10:30 a.m. at Station 51, located at 6902 Bellaire Blvd. in southwest Houston. When the ladder briefly touched the power line, some sparks flew up and other firefighters came over to see what was going on, a Houston Fire Department spokeswoman said.  Thats when the tire exploded, causing the firefighters to suffer ringing ears and headaches.  Officials said the firefighters were taken to an area hospital. They should be allowed to go home by early afternoon, the spokeswoman said.

via 3 Houston firefighters hurt after ladder strikes power line | Houston & Texas News | Chron.com – Houston Chronicle.

NH Student Critical after Electric Class Accident

March 23, 2010 1 comment

Dover, NH — An 18-year-old New Hampshire high school student was shocked while working on electrical circuits in an electrical trades class.    This was a low voltage accident as the maximum voltage in the classroom is 120 v.  CPR was performed by the teacher and was later flown to Massachusetts General Hospital in Boston, where he was listed in critical condition. 

Find out more and follow the story at the Boston Herald

PG&E Worker Dies In Benicia Electrical Vault Accident

March 22, 2010 Leave a comment

BENICIA, CA — A PG&E utility worker was killed Wednesday while working in an underground vault in Benicia, California.  Benicia fire officials said they received the initial report of the electrocution of a male employee in an underground vault at Panorama Court and Panorama Drive that contains 12,000-volt power lines at 9:53 a.m. and immediately dispatched rescue vehicles.  The victim, Max Martinez  a general construction lineman from Windsor, CA, was on a 4 man team, but was alone in vault at the time of the accident.

PG&E and CalOHSA investigators were on the scene attempting to determine the cause of the accident and if any safety rules were violated.

Get the full story and see the newscast at FoxReno

$3 Million Settlement for Electric Shock Injury

March 22, 2010 Leave a comment

OAK PARK, IL –  Timothy J. Cavanagh and Matthew M. Rundio of Cavanagh Law Group obtained a settlement of $3 million on behalf of their client, Carmen Shafer, for injuries she sustained after receiving an electric shock from the microwave oven in her kitchen.

On November 5, 2002, Plaintiff Carmen Shafer, age 30, received an electric shock when she brushed her right hand across the surface of the microwave in her kitchen at 1123 W. Washington St., Oak Park, Illinois. A post-incident inspection by the Village of Oak Park Electrical Inspector and a private electrician revealed that the electrical outlet to which the microwave was plugged in violated the village electric code because the hot and neutral poles were reversed, the outlet was not connected properly, and the outlet was not grounded. Experts agreed that the faulty outlet was the cause of the surface of the microwave oven becoming energized with electricity which caused Shafer’s shock.

via $3 Million Settlement for Electric Shock Injury – Chicago Injury Lawyers Blog.

Categories: Home, Legal, Shock Tags: , , ,