Archive

Archive for April, 2010

MS Girl on Farm Grabs Power Line in Electrical Accident

April 29, 2010 Leave a comment

TUNICA, MS –  Madysen Acey, a ten year old girl, was playing with a friend on a farm, climbing on some farm equipment, when she lost her balance and grabbed onto the first thing she saw; a live power line. 

The high voltage electricity shot through her body causing severe burns and damage to her limbs. She’s said to have lost her right arm, while doctors work to save her left.

She’s now at a Shriner’s Hospital in Cincinnati.

Story Via WREG News

Advertisements

IL Electrical Power Worker Found Dead at Substation

April 24, 2010 Leave a comment

BEDFORD PARK, ILComEd and Exelon officials are investigating an accident near a substation in Bedford Park that left an employee dead this afternoon.  It is unknown if the cause was an electrical accident.

A man in his 50s was pronounced dead at the scene of the work-related accident at 4:29 p.m. on the 5700 block of West 73rd Street in Bedford Park, according to a spokesman with the Cook County medical examiner’s office.

ComEd Spokesman Jeff Burdick said the man was employed by Exelon, the parent company of ComEd, but he refused to give any details about the man or his job description pending notification of the man’s family.

The man was found by another employee outside of the substation, Burdick said. He said officials are launching an investigation into the accident.

Story Via Chicago Tribune

UK Energy Co. Might Face Action for Electrical Shock Death of Lineman

April 24, 2010 Leave a comment

NORFLOK, UK – The region’s largest energy firm could face proceedings from the Health and Safety Executive after the electrocution of a worker in Diss.

Father-of-four Jonathan Crosby, from Dickleburgh, was 45 when he was killed while working on power lines on Saw Mills Road for EDF Energy.

A jury at a coroner’s inquest yesterday returned a verdict of accidental death but the Health and Safety Executive said it was still considering taking proceedings against his employer.

The highly-experienced worker died at the Norfolk and Norwich University Hospital on the morning of November 9 2007 after receiving a massive electric shock.

Evidence given at the inquest showed that a combination of factors including a failure to remove vital fuses and to use warning signs broke company policy on the day in question.

Stuart Cobb, who was working with Mr Crosby on the day he died, has been an EDF linesman for 26 years.

Giving evidence at an inquest yesterday at Assembly House in Norwich he said that he had known Mr Crosby “very, very well” and that he was a “top man”.

The men had been removing a transformer from a pole on Saw Mills Road in Diss to replace it with a more powerful model.

Mr Crosby and Mr Cobb were on a platform atop a crane driven by another EDF employee, Derek Mann, to remove the half-ton box from five and a half metres up.

The pair had been using a “short-stick” method which allowed the electricity supply to stay on while they carried out repairs thanks to eight-foot long, insulated rods with tools attached to the end.

But because a vehicle normally used by Mr Cobb was being repaired an unfamiliar one had been used, and some safety equipment was not aboard.

Normally a small notice would be attached to the pole to warn people that the lines were still live, but this was not present.

A set of fuses, which were supposed to be removed, were also left in the transformer by accident.

This meant that several wires thought to be safe to touch were actually live and carrying 430 volts.

Mr Cobb told the inquest that the pair had unbolted the old transformer and were lifting it with the crane when it tilted slightly and Mr Crosby leaned forward to adjust it.

It was then that the live lines touched the transformer and Mr Crosby was electrocuted by a 430 volt current.

“I could hear the arcing noise and I asked Jon what was happening but he didn’t answer,” said Mr Cobb.

“I looked over his shoulder and I could see a blue arc around his glove.”

Andy Sagrott, an electrical engineer with EDF and the supervisor on the day of the accident, said that he had told the workers to remove the fuses and that it was standard policy to do so.

It was a “mystery” why they remained in place, he told the inquest.

HSE Inspector Jonathan Elven led a lengthy investigation into the accident and told the inquest that the Health and Safety Executive were considering taking proceedings against the company.

Story Via – EDP24

Electric Current Passes Through Tree Branch & Shocks VA Worker

April 24, 2010 Leave a comment

HENRICO COUNTY, VA – Henrico County police identified the tree-service worker who was electrocuted on Thursday as Brian Daniel Morris, 27, of Reva.

The accident occurred just before 9 a.m. in the 1500 block of Timbercrest Lane in the western part of the county.

A branch he was cutting hit a power line, and the electrical current passed through the branch and into him, police said.

Henrico police Lt. Eric Owens said the victim was employed by Williams Landscaping and Tree Service in Madison.

He was an experienced tree-cutter, but it was his first day on the job with his new employer, Owens said.

Story Via Richmone Times-Dispatch

PA Comcast Worker Electrical Accident with Power Line

April 21, 2010 Leave a comment

NORTHAMPTON, PA – A Comcast worker was injured Wednesday afternoon when he came in contact with electrical power lines in Northampton.

The worker, whose name was not available, was repairing some cable lines, when he accidentally came in contact with the power line.   How he did this is unknown.

The worker was found on the ground when the rescue squad got to him and was then taken by the Tri-Hampton Rescue Squad to St. Mary Medical Center for treatement. No further information was released.

Story Via PhillyBurbs.com

NY Metro Worker Receives $1.1M for Electrical Accident

April 21, 2010 Leave a comment

BRONX, NY – Jim Deacon knew his work testing the electrical system for Metro-North was dangerous, but when he suffered severe burns in a high-voltage explosion, he didn’t expect the railroad to blame him for it.

The Oct. 28, 2006, accident, in which 700 volts of current exploded, severely burning Deacon’s left hand and forearm, has been settled with the commuter railroad admitting fault and awarding him $1.1 million.

The case was settled last week in U.S. District Court in New Haven.

“This whole hand was black with skin hanging off of it,” Deacon, 51, said Monday, showing a hand that looks only mildly scarred after three surgeries.

Deacon was working on a malfunctioning switch box next to the electrified third rail in the Mott Haven section of the Bronx, N.Y., when he took off his rubber gloves to thread a small wire. What he didn’t know was that a cable from the third rail to a motor inside the box had detached and the motor housing was electrified. When the wire touched the housing, the arc created the explosion.

Deacon’s lawyer, Charles Goetsch of New Haven, said when they brought the case to Metro-North, they found the detached cable had been removed and management allegedly denied a video taken the day after the accident existed.

However, Deacon was slipped a bootlegged copy, which showed a supervisor telling a worker who wasn’t wearing gloves to remove a tool from the switch box, in violation of safety rules.

Deacon, who started working for the railroad in 1980, said it’s standard practice not to turn off the power when making such repairs. Complaining would result in being disciplined “or you’d just be made a pariah. … They’ll just start giving you a hard time somehow, they’ll make you miserable.”

An analysis of the accident by railroad safety consultant James Sottile of Southbridge, Mass., concluded, “It was standard practice in the Metro North Test Department not to de-energize the 700 volt power to the (switch) box when performing that troubleshooting repair.”

Goetsch pointed out Metro-North has procedures that require power be turned off before working on high-voltage equipment and that regular inspections be performed, but it didn’t appear the switch box had been checked in years. “You eliminate the risk entirely if you follow those procedures,” he said.

Marjorie Anders, spokeswoman for Metro-North, confirmed the railroad admitted liability in the case, calling Deacon “a longtime employee who has now been fairly compensated for his injury.”

Anders said that under the Federal Employers’ Liability Act, blame must be assigned to one or both parties and there is no workers’ compensation process on the railroad, making legal action automatic.

Story Via New Haven Register

PA Tree Trimmer Killed by Electrical Line

April 21, 2010 Leave a comment

BETHEL PARK, PA – A tree cutter who was trimming a tree in Bethel Park was killed Tuesday when one of the branches he cut fell into an electrical line, police said.

Eric Arnold, 30, of Langloth, Washington County, was killed in the accident that occurred about 11:30 a.m. on Robert Drive, near Route 88, a spokesman for the Allegheny County Medical Examiner’s Office said. Power was cut to nearby electrical lines so crews could remove the body from the tree, police said.

Story Via Pittsburgh Tribune-Review