Home > Fatalities, Industrial, International, Legal, Shock > UK Energy Co. Might Face Action for Electrical Shock Death of Lineman

UK Energy Co. Might Face Action for Electrical Shock Death of Lineman

NORFLOK, UK – The region’s largest energy firm could face proceedings from the Health and Safety Executive after the electrocution of a worker in Diss.

Father-of-four Jonathan Crosby, from Dickleburgh, was 45 when he was killed while working on power lines on Saw Mills Road for EDF Energy.

A jury at a coroner’s inquest yesterday returned a verdict of accidental death but the Health and Safety Executive said it was still considering taking proceedings against his employer.

The highly-experienced worker died at the Norfolk and Norwich University Hospital on the morning of November 9 2007 after receiving a massive electric shock.

Evidence given at the inquest showed that a combination of factors including a failure to remove vital fuses and to use warning signs broke company policy on the day in question.

Stuart Cobb, who was working with Mr Crosby on the day he died, has been an EDF linesman for 26 years.

Giving evidence at an inquest yesterday at Assembly House in Norwich he said that he had known Mr Crosby “very, very well” and that he was a “top man”.

The men had been removing a transformer from a pole on Saw Mills Road in Diss to replace it with a more powerful model.

Mr Crosby and Mr Cobb were on a platform atop a crane driven by another EDF employee, Derek Mann, to remove the half-ton box from five and a half metres up.

The pair had been using a “short-stick” method which allowed the electricity supply to stay on while they carried out repairs thanks to eight-foot long, insulated rods with tools attached to the end.

But because a vehicle normally used by Mr Cobb was being repaired an unfamiliar one had been used, and some safety equipment was not aboard.

Normally a small notice would be attached to the pole to warn people that the lines were still live, but this was not present.

A set of fuses, which were supposed to be removed, were also left in the transformer by accident.

This meant that several wires thought to be safe to touch were actually live and carrying 430 volts.

Mr Cobb told the inquest that the pair had unbolted the old transformer and were lifting it with the crane when it tilted slightly and Mr Crosby leaned forward to adjust it.

It was then that the live lines touched the transformer and Mr Crosby was electrocuted by a 430 volt current.

“I could hear the arcing noise and I asked Jon what was happening but he didn’t answer,” said Mr Cobb.

“I looked over his shoulder and I could see a blue arc around his glove.”

Andy Sagrott, an electrical engineer with EDF and the supervisor on the day of the accident, said that he had told the workers to remove the fuses and that it was standard policy to do so.

It was a “mystery” why they remained in place, he told the inquest.

HSE Inspector Jonathan Elven led a lengthy investigation into the accident and told the inquest that the Health and Safety Executive were considering taking proceedings against the company.

Story Via – EDP24

  1. No comments yet.
  1. No trackbacks yet.

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out /  Change )

Google photo

You are commenting using your Google account. Log Out /  Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )

Connecting to %s

%d bloggers like this: