Home > Fatalities, Industrial, Shock > SC State Fair Worker Fatally Electrocuted

SC State Fair Worker Fatally Electrocuted

COLUMBIA, SOUTH CAROLINA – A worker at the South Carolina State Fair died Monday when he was electrocuted while setting up a ride.

State Fair General Manager Gary Goodman says 43-year-old Roger Thompson of Brooksville, Florida died in what he called a ‘tragic accident.’

Columbia Fire Chief Aubrey Jenkins said that his agency received a call just after 3 p.m. that a fair employee had been electrocuted.

According to Goodman, Thompson was working on electrical equipment on the ‘Rainbow’ ride. At the time, the tower on the ride was not secure. Other workers say they heard Thompson grunt, and found him after he had received a jolt.

Thompson had worked for North American Midway Entertainment for more than 25 years, and was the chief electrician for the show. He was married, and his wife was in town.

“I knew him, he was a fine fella,” said Goodman.

Multiple agencies are investigating.

The last time a worker died at the fair was in 2008, when an employee who worked maintenance for the ‘Inverter’ ride died when he was hit by a part of the attraction.

Officials did not know why he was standing so close to the ride, but he was not working at the time of his death.

Fair officials say their workers have constant training and safety is always at the top of their list.

Story via wltx.com

  1. No comments yet.
  1. No trackbacks yet.

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out /  Change )

Google photo

You are commenting using your Google account. Log Out /  Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )

Connecting to %s

%d bloggers like this: