Archive

Archive for December, 2010

Firefighters Save Man Shocked by Power Lines

December 30, 2010 Leave a comment

St. Peter, MN – In what proved to be a brief but emotional event, several members of the Kasota Fire and Rescue Department were honored Wednesday evening for helping save the life of a Nicollet man who was electrocuted on October 20.

Le Sueur County Sheriff Tom Doherty and Chief Deputy Dave Tietz were on hand at the Kasota Community Center for a ceremony to honor John Iverson, Donnie Fromm, Bill Connors and members of the Kasota Fire Department for their efforts in saving Steve Barrer of Nicollet.

Barrer, along with Iverson, had been working on some power lines for the city of Kasota at around 2:45 p.m. when he was electrocuted. Barrer was elevated in the bucket of a boom truck while Iverson was down below when the incident happened.

While on the ground, Iverson looked up and noticed that his co-worker was slumped over in the bucket, possibly due to being electrocuted. Iverson then lowered Barrer down to the ground and removed him from the bucket.

Iverson could tell that Barrer was in full cardiac arrest and immediately began administering CPR on him.

Donnie Fromm and Bill Connors happened to be near by when the incident occurred and noticed there was a problem and quickly responded to where Iverson and Barrer were. Connors called for emergency assistance and monitored Steven’s vitals while Fromm helped Iverson with CPR.

Those three continued to provide medical attention to Barrer until the Kasota Fire Department arrived on scene. Once there, firefighters applied the automated external defibrillator (AED) to Barrer. The AED recycled twice and delivered two external shocks to Barrer, after which his heart began to beat once again on its own.

The firefighters continued to monitor Barrer until the ambulance personnel arrived at the scene. Barrer was later transported by Mayo One Air Ambulance to Regions Hospital in St. Paul where he received care and was released the following day without complications.

“I was advised by rescue personnel that following the shock from the AED that Steven  was actually speaking to them before being loaded and air lifted to Regions Hospital,” Doherty said. “I find it amazing that the tools we now have and have had for a long period of time are making the difference between life and death. And the knowledge, training and the willingness to get involved by the public in an emergency situation is incredible.

“I can’t say enough about our fire/rescue and ambulance personnel in Kasota and also throughout LeSueur County that do this on a daily basis without hesitation. Your efforts define the words ‘teamwork’.”

For Barrer, it was obviously an emotional moment for him seeing those responsible for saving his life as he expressed his thanks to each of them after the ceremony.

“I don’t remember anything about that day but eating dinner,” he said during the ceremony.

Kasota Fire Chief Lanny Woods commended his crew for job well done and emphasized how important the work is members of his department do in situations like the one Barrer experienced.

“It’s definitely great to put one in the ‘win’ column for a change,” Woods said. “We’ve had enough bad luck in this town for awhile and it’s nice to see something positive come out of this.”

Kasota Mayor Brett Christensen, whose term expires at the end of 2010, also expressed his thanks for the efforts of those first on the scene and also to his city’s fire department personnel.

“It’s nice to make an exit (as mayor) on such a high note,” Christensen said.

story via St.PeterHerlad.com


KS Man Found Electrocuted Near Power Pole

December 30, 2010 Leave a comment

Kansas City, KS – A Miami County man appears to have been electrocuted early today while working at a power pole, authorities said.

The body of Danny Joe Miller, 42, was found at the bottom of a power pole in front of his residence at about 7 a.m. in the 3400 block of W. 399th Street, according to the Miami County Sheriff’s Office.

An aluminum extension ladder was found leaning against the power pole. Miller was found lying at the base of the ladder. An autopsy will determine the cause of death.

Authorities don’t know how long Miller had been dead when he was found. His wife last saw him at about 4:30 this morning when he got home from work.

Investigators said Miller was trying to do something at the power pole, but what exactly they don’t know. Kansas City Power & Light was called to the scene and is doing its investigation.

The case is still open.

Story via TheKansasCityStar.com

Electrical Safety should always be practiced when using ladders.  Only qualified persons are permitted to work on electrical equipment.

Woman Shocked by sidewalk grate in DE

December 30, 2010 Leave a comment

According to police, the woman and her 14-year-old son were walking on the sidewalk underneath the 141 overpass when she stepped on the grate, exposing a live electrical wire underneath it. The woman was electrocuted and knocked to the ground by the charge, police said. She was able to call 911 on her cell phone and was transported to Christiana Hospital where she was being treated for injuries police say were not life threatening.

Police say the Delaware Department of Transportation made repairs to the area immediately after the 5:45 p.m. incident occurred.

Story via CommunityPub.com

<!– –>

CA Shocked Killed Trying to Steal Electrical Wire

December 30, 2010 2 comments

PERRIS, CA – A Perris man was electrocuted [blogger’s note:  the media has misused the word “electrocution” here as this refers to someone who has died from electric shock.  The appropriate word to be used her is “shocked”] during an attempt to steal electrical box wires from a vacant warehouse in the area, authorities said Friday.

Jose Vargas, 30, was found with severe electrical burns on his body when deputies from the Perris station arrived Tuesday night at the 24100 block of Orange Avenue to assist fire officials with a call requiring medical assistance, Sgt. Scott Forbes said.

Forbes said a preliminary investigation shows that Vargas was in the process of stealing the wire from an electrical box when he was electrocuted.

The suspect was airlifted to a local hospital and is being treated for his injuries, Forbes said.

The Perris Burglary Suppression Team is investigating the incident.

Read more: http://www.swrnn.com/southwest-riverside/2010-12-30/news/suspect-electrocuted-during-robbery-attempt-in-perris#ixzz19derUocn

Man Shocked in PA Working on Light Ballast

December 30, 2010 Leave a comment

INDIANA TWP., Pa. — Allegheny County 911 dispatchers said that a 20-year-old man was knocked unconscious after being electrocuted by a light ballast in Indiana Township.

The incident happened at Medrad Inc., around 2 p.m. on Thursday.

Dispatchers said that the man had to be rescued from the roof of a building.

The man was taken to a Pittsburgh hospital in critical condition.  

Indiana Township police are investigating the incident

Story via ThePittsburghChannel.com

Free Electrical Safety Resources

Man incarcerated for not complying with court sanctions enforcing OSHA

December 30, 2010 1 comment

The following is not known to be directly related to electrical safety violataions, but was posted as notice of the increasing enforcement of OSHA and repricussions of those who know of hazards and fail to properly warn and protect their workers.

ST. LOUIS, Mo. (MMD Newswire) December 29, 2010 — The U.S. Department of Labor’s Occupational Safety and Health Administration today announced the arrest of Brian Andre, former owner of Andre Tuckpointing and Brickwork, and Regina Shaw, owner of Andre Stone & Mason Work Inc., the successor company to Andre Tuckpointing and Brickwork. The Eighth Circuit Court of Appeals in St. Louis ordered their arrest and incarceration for repeatedly failing to comply with court sanctions enforcing OSHA citations that had become final orders of the Occupational Safety and Health Review Commission. The two were taken into custody today by authorities.

The order for incarceration stems from Mr. Andre and Ms. Shaw’s failure to comply with sanctions ordered by the Eighth Circuit Court of Appeals, following the court’s initial ruling of contempt against Andre and Shaw in January 2010.

“Employers who expose workers to hazards and blatantly ignore OSHA citations will not be allowed to escape their responsibility of keeping workers safe – or sanctions levied against them for failing to do so,” said Charles E. Adkins, OSHA’s regional administrator in Kansas City, Mo.

OSHA issued numerous citations from June 2003 to the present, to both the original company and its successor, for willful, repeat and serious violations related to fall hazards, scaffolding erection deficiencies, power tool guarding and other hazards in connection with multiple St. Louis-area projects. When the companies failed to comply with the court’s 11(b) order enforcing the Occupational Safety and Health Review Commission’s final orders, the Labor Department’s Office of the Solicitor filed petitions for contempt.

As a result, a special master of the Eighth Circuit Court of Appeals found Brian Andre, Andre Stone & Mason Work Inc. and Regina Shaw in contempt, and ordered various sanctions including requiring them to pay outstanding penalties, continually accruing interest and other miscellaneous fees in the current amount of $258,582. Andre Stone & Mason Work Inc. and Regina Shaw must pay a $100 daily penalty, calculated from the time of default in early 2008 on the Occupational Safety and Health Review Commission’s final orders. Andre Stone & Mason Work Inc. must provide OSHA weekly notification of all current jobs and known future jobs at least 72 hours prior to commencement of work for a period of three years. The company also must provide training to all persons currently and subsequently designated as jobsite “competent persons” prior to beginning any work and provide the department with records of such training.

Under the Occupational Safety and Health Act of 1970, employers are responsible for providing safe and healthful workplaces for their employees. OSHA’s role is to assure these conditions for America’s working men and women by setting and enforcing standards, and providing training, education and assistance

Story via MMD Newswire

Advertisement:

Free Electrical Safety Resources

Man Electrocuted in Antigua Working on Electrical System

December 30, 2010 Leave a comment

ST JOHN’S, Antigua, CMC – A 34-year old employee of the Antigua Public Utilities Authority (APUA) was electrocuted on Tuesday while assisting with the restoration of electricity following the passage of Hurricane Earl.

A brief statement from APUA confirmed that Colin “Relic” Warner, 34, was part of a four-member crew working in the vicinity of the English Harbour when the incident occurred. APUA said that it would be carrying out an investigation into the matter.

Parliamentary representative for the St. Paul constituency, Eleston Adams said that while Warner “was very familiar with the dangers associated with his job, (he) always placed country above…”

“Colin died in the service that brought joy and safety to others. All whom he came into contact with will miss him,” he added.

Prime Minister Baldwin Spencer said that the passage of Hurricane Earl, a Category Four storm, on Monday, had resulted in no death or injuries in Antigua and Barbuda but had resulted in an electricity blackout as it uprooted utility poles.

Story via Caricom News Network

Man Electrocuted in TX Working on Utility Pole

December 30, 2010 Leave a comment

GOLIAD, TX – Bonnie Hennig will always remember her 48-year-old son as a handyman of sorts.

Hennig’s son, Lacy McDonald, of San Antonio, was killed instantly on Dec. 19 when he was electrocuted by nearly 30,000 volts of electricity while trying to disconnect power on a utility pole at the Fair Oaks Village Shopping Center in San Antonio, said Christine Patmon, manager of news media and public relations of CPS Energy, the company that owned the pole.

McDonald, of San Antonio, was a self-employed electrician and not an employee of CPS Energy, Patmon said.

“It was an unfortunate incident,” Patmon said.

McDonald did not call the energy company to have the electricity shut off, she added.

McDonald was installing electricity for a business at the shopping center, Fair Oaks Ranch Police Chief Scott Rubin said.

Rubin was unsure of the business’s name.

Those were the answers Hennig had been looking for.

At first, she said she was unaware if he had called to have the power shut off.

“Pointing fingers and stuff like that won’t bring him back,” she said.

The 1980 graduate of Victoria High School had worked in electricity and construction since high school, McDonald’s mother said.

He had recently remarried and had two children and two stepchildren, she added.

McDonald had lived in San Antonio for the past 30 years.

“You just shouldn’t have to bury your children and write their obituary,” she said

story via Victoria Advocate.com

Underground Electrical Fault Shuts Down Major Road in Wimbledon

December 17, 2010 Leave a comment

One of Wimbledon’s town centre’s major roads was closed off this evening after an electrical emergency.

Worple Road was closed in both directions after what appeared to be a power cut as lights appeared to go out at about 7pm this evening.

But the reason for the loss of power appears to be an underground electrical fault which required emergency repairs.

Police cordoned off access to Worple Road from Wimbledon Hill Road until it was reopened at about 8.30pm.

James Triesman, a Wimbledon resident on his way to the station, said: “There was power out on one side of the road by the Alexandra pub and the Hand and Racket pub.

“The police had cordoned off the road opposite, towards where the entrance to Sainsbury’s is.

“There were no crashed cars or ambulances or signs of an accident.”

A spokesman for Wimbledon fire station said they had attended the scene when it was first reported, but left after the area was deemed secure.

It is not yet known what was the cause of the underground electrical fault.

Story via yourlocalguardian.co.uk

Multiple Electrical Safety Violations Leads to Condemned House of Landord in Wales

December 17, 2010 1 comment

Neath, Wales, United Kingdom – A Neath landlord has had his house of multiple occupation condemned by council officials.

Environmental Health officers found the property in Croft Road, Neath was at a substantial risk from fire and significant electrical faults potentially leading to electrocution of residents.

Head Of Business Strategy and Public Protection Angela Thomas said, “Conditions at the property were amongst the worse ever seen by officers. We were so concerned at the conditions, immediate enforcement action was necessary and the house was closed down to prevent further risk or injury to those living at the house.”

Council Leader Ali Thomas said, “It is everybody’s right to live safely within their home. Along with partners, we are committed to protecting the occupants of private rented properties, many of whom are vulnerable, throughout the county borough and we also look to work closely with the main private rented housing providers.

“Landlords who flout safety laws and fail to manage or maintain their properties put tenants’ lives at risk.”

story via newswales.co.uk