Home > International, Shock > Man in UK Receives Shock, Falls to Concrete Floor

Man in UK Receives Shock, Falls to Concrete Floor

Suffolk, United Kingdom – A Suffolk man suffered serious personal injury, when he plummeted five metres to the ground after being electrocuted climbing a crane ladder.

David Minor a mechanical fitter of Bury St Edmunds, suffered a fractured vertebra, broke his heel and sustained burns to his hands, when he was electrocuted and fell eighteen feet onto a solid concrete floor. Mr. Minor was employed by Graham Parish Engineering of Sudbury Road, Cockfield, who had been subcontracted by Cambridge based building and timber merchants Ridgeons Ltd. An investigation by the Governments Health and Safety Executive (HSE) revealed that Mr. Minor had been climbing a ladder in order to make repairs to an overhead crane system, when he came into contact with a live conductor which provided the main power channel to the crane. The resulting electric shock caused him to fall from the crane onto the concrete floor below. Even though the main power channel carried three phase 415v electricity, there was no warning sign and it should have been isolated before any maintenance work began.

Ridgeons Ltd was fined £5,000 with £4,344.70 in costs after pleading guilty to breaching Health and Safety Regulations at Bury St Edmunds Magistrates’ Court.

Story via injuriesdirect.com

Advertisements
  1. No comments yet.
  1. No trackbacks yet.

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out /  Change )

Google photo

You are commenting using your Google account. Log Out /  Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )

Connecting to %s

%d bloggers like this: