Home > Arc Flash, Industrial > 2 Electrical Contractors Suffer Burns in Electrical Accident in UK

2 Electrical Contractors Suffer Burns in Electrical Accident in UK

Glenrothes, Scotland – Two men are recovering in hospital after being injured in an explosion at a Fife engineering factory on Monday.  The men, both electricians, were working at Raytheon Systems in Glenrothes when the incident happened shortly after noon.

It is understood the 48-year-old and 22-year-old were both contractors working for local firm CF Electrical Services.

The 500 employees at the factory — which supplies to the defence, automotive and space industries — were evacuated after the accident and the two casualties were treated for serious burns to their faces and hands.

They were then rushed under police escort to Queen Margaret Hospital, Dunfermline, where they were monitored in the intensive care unit.

It was stressed that, while serious, their injuries are not thought to be life threatening and their condition was described as comfortable.

The two men, who have not been named, had been carrying out maintenance on one of the factory’s distribution boards and it is thought something fell and caused the explosion.

Fife Fire and Rescue Service sent two appliances to the building on Queensway Industrial Estate, and firefighters applied a cooling treatment to the men’s faces until an ambulance arrived.

As a precaution, firefighters then entered the factory, which makes components used in missiles and tanks used by NATO forces.

Paramedics then spent several minutes applying further emergency treatment before requesting a police escort to transfer the casualties to hospital.

It is believed that as well as burns, the men may have suffered some damage to their airways in the explosion.

Nick West, communications director with Raytheon UK, said: ”Two contractors were injured earlier today, whilst maintaining electrical equipment on our site. Clearly it would be inappropriate to make any comment until the incident has been fully investigated.”

A spokeswoman for the Health and Safety Executive said the organisation was aware of the incident.

”We are making initial enquiries and an inspector is on site this afternoon,” she said.

Story via TheCourrier.Co.UK

Advertisements
  1. No comments yet.
  1. No trackbacks yet.

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out / Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out / Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out / Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out / Change )

Connecting to %s

%d bloggers like this: