Archive

Archive for December, 2011

1 Worker Killed, 6 Injured in Electrical Accident in Phillipines

December 7, 2011 Leave a comment

Valenzuela City, Phillipines – One worker died and six others were hurt after a metallic round bar they were trying to attach to a wooden structure in a construction site hit a high-voltage transmission wire late Monday afternoon inValenzuela City.

Police named the fatality as Larry Ortega, 23, of Quezon province.

Those who were injured were identified as Jonathan Valenzuela, Jimmy Monares, Charlito Mepieza, Marlon Asidillo, Basilio Sedorio and Noli Patag.

The five are now confined atValenzuela Medical Center, said Police Officer 3 Dalton Rodriguez, case investigator.

Deadly contact

The accident happened at Cowloon Compound in Tatalon, Barangay (village) Ugong.

According to the police report, the contact between the high-voltage wire and the metallic bar sent electric shocks to six workers who were holding the bar.

Upon seeing this, Ortega rushed to help Valenzuela, the person nearest him, but he was electrocuted in the process.

Fellow construction workers managed to take the victims to the hospital, but Ortega was declared dead on arrival, Rodriguez said.

Electric currents

“Of the victims, only Ortega’s body did not release the electric currents trapped inside. That’s why he died. When you get electrocuted, your body has to release the currents,” he explained.

Work in the area resumed after what the police official called was an “unfortunate industrial accident.”

Senior Police Officer 3 Jess Sagisi, senior investigator, said that the other six who remain confined in the hospital were already in stable condition.

Story via Phillipine Daily Inquirer

Advertisements

Electrician Gets High Voltage Shock Working at University of Arizona

December 6, 2011 Leave a comment

Tucson, AZ – An electrician suffered life threatening injuries this afternoon while working on the University of Arizona campus.

The man, in his 30s, “was performing routine maintenance in a high voltage trailer” when he was shocked, at about 1:30 p.m., Tucson Fire Capt. Jeff Langejans said.

The victim was taken to University Medical Center, where he was reportedly conscious and speaking.

The incident caused a power outage in and around campus – including street lights and UA buildings – for about 90 minutes.

Story via Arizona Daily Star

Free Electrical Safety Resources

Click Logo for Free Resources

Senseco Marine Fined $62.7K by OSHA

December 6, 2011 Leave a comment

North Kingstown, Rhode Island – OSHA has cited Senesco Marine LLC for alleged serious and repeat violations of workplace safety standards. The North Kingstown, R.I., shipyard faces a total of $62,700 in proposed fines following an inspection conducted under OSHA’s Site-Specific Targeting Program, which directs inspections toward workplaces with a rate of workdays lost due to injuries and illnesses that is higher than the industry average.

The inspection by OSHA’s Providence Area Office identified a variety of mechanical, electrical, and exit hazards at the shipyard. These included a locked emergency exit, an inadequately guarded grinder, an ungrounded electrical cord, the lack of an emergency eyewash, an unattended powered industrial truck left with its motor running and its brake not secured, and a failure to provide annual respirator fit-testing for all members of the company’s emergency response team. As a result of these conditions, OSHA issued citations to Senesco Marine for eight serious violations, carrying $35,200 in proposed fines.

The shipyard also was cited for one repeat violation, with a fine of $27,500, for unguarded points of operation on a press brake and an ironworker machine. OSHA cited similar hazards at the shipyard following a 2007 inspection.

“Left uncorrected, these conditions expose workers to potential crushing and ‘struck-by’ injuries, lacerations, amputations, electric shock, and being unable to exit the workplace swiftly in the event of a fire or other emergency,” said Patrick Griffin, OSHA’s Rhode Island area director. “For the safety and health of its employees, this employer needs to correct these hazards and take effective steps to ensure that they do not occur again.”

Story via OHSonline

Tree Trimmer Suffers Electrical Burns in CA

December 6, 2011 Leave a comment

Santa Barbara, CA – A tree-trimmer suffered severe electrical burns on Wednesday after his rope wrapped around a power line.

Santa Barbara Fire Department spokesman Ryan DiGuilio said the man had thrown the rope over a tree limb he had been preparing to work on. The rope had some metal in it and when it went around an electrical line, it carried the current back up through the man’s harness, giving him severe electrical burns.

At 1:23 p.m. firefighters and paramedics received a report of a man caught in a tree on the first block of East Valerio Street.

When firefighters arrived, they found the man 30 feet in the air, hanging upside down. The man’s harness had slipped and only held him by the ankles.

Firefighters used a 35 foot ladder and a series of ropes and harness to get the man down. DiGuilio was still conscious on the way to Cottage Hospital.

Story via The Daily Sound.com

Electrical Malfunction Burns Down Apartment Building in CA

December 6, 2011 Leave a comment

Berkeley, CA – A devastating fire that tore through a Berkeley apartment building began with an electrical malfunction in the basement, fire investigators said Wednesday.

The fire was apparently an accident, starting in the elevator machinery and quickly engulfing the historic four-story apartment building just south of the UC Berkeley campus, according to the Berkeley Fire Department’s initial findings.

The Nov. 18 blaze, Berkeley’s largest since the 1991 hills firestorm, destroyed 39 apartments and two popular restaurants at Telegraph Avenue and Haste Street. Nearly all the 70 displaced residents were students or recent graduates.

The building owner could not be reached for comment Wednesday, but tenants said the building had a history of electrical problems, one of which caused a fire on the roof in February and another that trapped residents in an elevator. The owner of the building lost a small claims case in 2006 in which a tenant claimed his laptop and bedding were destroyed after an electrical short-circuit.

Story via SFGate.com

Electrical Safety Audits can Help Prevent Electrical Accidents and Inuries

Martin Technical Electrical Safety Service

Advertisement - Click on Ad to visit Martin Technical

2 Electrical Contractors Suffer Burns in Electrical Accident in UK

December 6, 2011 Leave a comment

Glenrothes, Scotland – Two men are recovering in hospital after being injured in an explosion at a Fife engineering factory on Monday.  The men, both electricians, were working at Raytheon Systems in Glenrothes when the incident happened shortly after noon.

It is understood the 48-year-old and 22-year-old were both contractors working for local firm CF Electrical Services.

The 500 employees at the factory — which supplies to the defence, automotive and space industries — were evacuated after the accident and the two casualties were treated for serious burns to their faces and hands.

They were then rushed under police escort to Queen Margaret Hospital, Dunfermline, where they were monitored in the intensive care unit.

It was stressed that, while serious, their injuries are not thought to be life threatening and their condition was described as comfortable.

The two men, who have not been named, had been carrying out maintenance on one of the factory’s distribution boards and it is thought something fell and caused the explosion.

Fife Fire and Rescue Service sent two appliances to the building on Queensway Industrial Estate, and firefighters applied a cooling treatment to the men’s faces until an ambulance arrived.

As a precaution, firefighters then entered the factory, which makes components used in missiles and tanks used by NATO forces.

Paramedics then spent several minutes applying further emergency treatment before requesting a police escort to transfer the casualties to hospital.

It is believed that as well as burns, the men may have suffered some damage to their airways in the explosion.

Nick West, communications director with Raytheon UK, said: ”Two contractors were injured earlier today, whilst maintaining electrical equipment on our site. Clearly it would be inappropriate to make any comment until the incident has been fully investigated.”

A spokeswoman for the Health and Safety Executive said the organisation was aware of the incident.

”We are making initial enquiries and an inspector is on site this afternoon,” she said.

Story via TheCourrier.Co.UK

3 Roofers Shocked & Burned by High Voltage Wire in WV

December 2, 2011 Leave a comment

Bramwell, WV –   Three men repairing a roof at one of Bramwell’s historic homes were electrocuted Monday morning after high winds blew their ladder into a high-tension line. (note from blog editor – “electrocuted” is not being properly used here by the reporter.  Electrocuted means they have deceased by an electric shock, which these men did not.  The men were shocked and burned, but were not electrocuted).

The three men, who suffered second- and third-degree burns to their feet, were on the ground but conscious when emergency personnel arrived on scene, Bramwell Fire Chief Joe Miller said. All three were transported by the Bluefield Rescue Squad to Bluefield Regional Medical Center. Miller said the men’s injuries were not believed to be life threatening.

Story via Bluefield Daily Telegraph