Archive

Archive for May, 2012

MN Boom Lift Operator Electrocuted

May 22, 2012 1 comment

Bemidji, MN:  On May 17th at 11:00 AM, Bemidji Police Officers, along with Bemidji Fire and Bemidji Ambulance personnel, responded to a medical emergency at Acme Tools, located in the 2000 block of 30th St NW in Bemidji. A 49 year old Bemidji man was operating a boom lift when he came in contact with a power line and was electrocuted. Delwin Grage JR was transported to Sanford Medical Center in Bemidji where he was pronounced dead.

Story via Park Rapids Enterprise

Advertisements

INDIA: 20 year-old Worker Electrocuted

Srinagar, May 12: The alleged negligence of the Power Development Department (PDD) officials Saturday resulted in the death of a 20-year-old daily wager that triggered off protests here.  Bilal Ahmad, 20, son of Sonaullah Moglu of Khansahab, Budgam, who was working as a daily wager in the PDD, died of electrocution while repairing 11 KV power line near Sub-division Karan Nagar. He was brought dead to SMHS where hundreds of people including his family members and colleagues held protests and raised slogans against the higher ups.   The additional battalions of police wearing riot gears were deployed at the SMHS to prevent the escalation of protests. Scores of daily wagers gathered at Karan Nagar and staged anti-department demonstrations. Chanting slogans, the protesters charged the officials for the death of their colleague. Besides demanding compensation for the family of the deceased, the protesters also demanded implementation of risk and medical allowance to all daily wagers while performing their duties.
Several shops were also closed in the Karan Nagar area as a mark of protest.   According to the family, Ahmad joined PDD a nearly a year ago as a daily wager. “The department officials would often assign him the risky jobs to deal with the high tension supply line, which he was not trained in,” Bilal’s brother, Gulzar Ahmad told Greater Kashmir. “They killed my brother due to their unscrupulous nature.”  “We put our lives on risk to serve the department. The government, without any hesitation should implement risk, medical and welfare allowances to the PDD employees” Farooq Ahmad, a daily wager said.   “Such electrical accidents have become a daily affair. Every week a daily wager loses his life or turns disable due to the carelessness of the department. Chief Minister, Omar Abdullah must look into the matter and save the lives of PDD employees,” he said.   Bilal’s body was later handed over to his family members for last rites.

Story via Greater Kashmir

For Electrical Training Service visit:

Martin Technical Electrical Safety Services Arc Flash

Advertisement – Click on Ad to visit Martin Technical

TX Tree Trimmer Electrocuted

FORT WORTH, TX – A tree trimmer in Fort Worth was killed Monday morning.

The man was apparently working at a home on Warren Lane when he was electrocuted.

Fort Worth Fire Department spokesman Tim Hardeman said when rescuers arrived they, “Found a male who appears to be deceased, in a tree. Apparently he was trimming trees at a residence here and came in contact with some power lines.”

Though fire department personnel were on the scene in minutes they couldn’t immediately get up in the tree to the body of Jose Murcia of Arlington.

“Nothing we can do until they cut the power, at this time,” Hardeman said. “So, they are on scene and we should be able to get him down here shortly.”

The 31-year-old victim had a co-worker with him at the time of the accident. The co-worker was the individual who placed the 911 call.

Story via CBS Fort Worth

AZ: Whiskey Row Electrical Fire

Prescott, AZ – The fire that consumed three businesses along Prescott’s historic Whiskey Row was most likely started by an accidental electrical fire, according to the Prescott Fire Department.

Flames engulfed the Bird Cage Saloon, Pearl’s Place Cafe, and Prescott Food Store on Montezuma Street Tuesday evening. Witnesses report flames reaching over two stories high.

The Prescott Fire Department believes the fire originated in an appliance area in back of Pearl’s Place Cafe.

All three businesses were total losses, according to the Prescott Fire Department. Police had previously said that Prescott Food Store suffered damage over 80 percent of the business, but further inspection showed that it too was a total loss.

No injuries were reported in Tuesday night’s blaze but damage is expected to be “in the millions,” according to Lt. Andy Reinhardt, a Prescott Police Department spokesman.

Fire crews responded to the fire around 6 p.m. after receiving multiple calls about the flames.

“There’s a huge plume of smoke pouring out of the (PrescPott Food Store),” Bob Hoskovec, a Prescott resident, said about 7:15 p.m. while standing on the steps of the downtown Prescott City Court building, directly across from the fire.

Hoskovec said fire equipment occupied the entire city block.

At 7:30 p.m., Hoskovec said, police moved spectators back another 40 feet as fire crews began knocking down walls in the affected buildings.

Hoskovec said his sister-in-law was inside the Bird Cage Saloon when the incident began, and she believes the fire started inside Pearl’s Place Cafe.

Brian Evans, an employee at Coyote Joe’s Bar and Grill, about 100 yards from the fire, said at 8:15 p.m. that flames appeared to be dwindling.

“I can breathe now,” Evans said. “Earlier, it was like standing by a campfire when the wind’s blowing into you.”

Evans said he initially thought the fire was a controlled burn.

“I live about 2 miles away,” Evans said. “When I came around the corner of (Goodwin Street), I could see what was going on. It was pretty shocking.”

In 1900, a fire sparked by a blacksmith consumed all of Whiskey Row.

Story via azcentral.com

For Electrical Studies and Analysis visit:

Martin Technical Electrical Safety Services Arc Flash

Advertisement – Click on Ad to visit Martin Technical

VT: Utility Worker Electrocuted

MIDDLETOWN SPRINGS, Vt.  — State police say a utility worker has been killed on the job in Middletown Springs.

They say 53-year-old Russell Callahan was installing high speed internet service Wednesday afternoon when part of the bucket truck he was operating hit a power line. Authorities say he was electrocuted and then fell backward and hit his head.

Callahan, of North Palm Beach, Fla., was taken to a hospital where he was pronounced dead.

Authorities say because of the electrocution and head injury, it’s unclear exactly how he died. An autopsy will be performed.

State police say he worked for Adirondack Utility Construction, which was being subcontracted by VTEL.

Story via newstimes.com

 

India: Workers Electrocuted, Owner Arrested for Negligence

PUNE, INDIA: Two workers died due to electrocution at an ice cream manufacturing unit at Malwadi in Hadapsar on Wednesday. The incident took place when the two were working near a freezer and came in contact with a live electricity cable connected to it.

The Hadapsar police identified the deceased as Vinodsingh Shrisevaram Rajput (22), from Hadapsar, and Ramu Amarsingh Thakur (24), from Moshi. Rajput originally hailed from Rajasthan, while Thakur was from Uttar Pradesh. The owner of the unit, Prabhuram Chunnilal Kadwasara, a resident of Tupenagar in Hadapsar, was arrested by the police for causing death due to electrical safety negligence.

Story via Times of India

For Electrical Safety Services contact:

Martin Technical Electrical Safety Services Arc Flash

Advertisement – Click on Ad to visit Martin Technical

India: Construction Worker Electrocuted

Badung, Bali (INDIA): A man died after being electrocuted at a supermarket construction site in Badung, Bali on Sunday evening.

Arman, 40, was moving metal pipes with a co-worker Rapudin, when the two received severe electric shocks.

Arman, who was on the second floor, fell as a result of the electrical shock, he died instantly.

Meanwhile, 23-year-old Rapudin, who was on the ground floor, suffered severe burns and was rushed to Penta Medika hospital.

The police suspect that the metal pipe being handed over by Rapudin to Arman in some way connected with the electricity supply.

The case is under investigation.

Story via Jakarta Post

For Electrical Safety Training visit:

Martin Technical Electrical Safety Services Arc Flash

Advertisement – Click on Ad to visit Martin Technical