Home > Electrical Fire, Industrial > AZ: Whiskey Row Electrical Fire

AZ: Whiskey Row Electrical Fire

Prescott, AZ – The fire that consumed three businesses along Prescott’s historic Whiskey Row was most likely started by an accidental electrical fire, according to the Prescott Fire Department.

Flames engulfed the Bird Cage Saloon, Pearl’s Place Cafe, and Prescott Food Store on Montezuma Street Tuesday evening. Witnesses report flames reaching over two stories high.

The Prescott Fire Department believes the fire originated in an appliance area in back of Pearl’s Place Cafe.

All three businesses were total losses, according to the Prescott Fire Department. Police had previously said that Prescott Food Store suffered damage over 80 percent of the business, but further inspection showed that it too was a total loss.

No injuries were reported in Tuesday night’s blaze but damage is expected to be “in the millions,” according to Lt. Andy Reinhardt, a Prescott Police Department spokesman.

Fire crews responded to the fire around 6 p.m. after receiving multiple calls about the flames.

“There’s a huge plume of smoke pouring out of the (PrescPott Food Store),” Bob Hoskovec, a Prescott resident, said about 7:15 p.m. while standing on the steps of the downtown Prescott City Court building, directly across from the fire.

Hoskovec said fire equipment occupied the entire city block.

At 7:30 p.m., Hoskovec said, police moved spectators back another 40 feet as fire crews began knocking down walls in the affected buildings.

Hoskovec said his sister-in-law was inside the Bird Cage Saloon when the incident began, and she believes the fire started inside Pearl’s Place Cafe.

Brian Evans, an employee at Coyote Joe’s Bar and Grill, about 100 yards from the fire, said at 8:15 p.m. that flames appeared to be dwindling.

“I can breathe now,” Evans said. “Earlier, it was like standing by a campfire when the wind’s blowing into you.”

Evans said he initially thought the fire was a controlled burn.

“I live about 2 miles away,” Evans said. “When I came around the corner of (Goodwin Street), I could see what was going on. It was pretty shocking.”

In 1900, a fire sparked by a blacksmith consumed all of Whiskey Row.

Story via azcentral.com

For Electrical Studies and Analysis visit:

Martin Technical Electrical Safety Services Arc Flash

Advertisement – Click on Ad to visit Martin Technical

Advertisements
  1. No comments yet.
  1. No trackbacks yet.

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out / Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out / Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out / Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out / Change )

Connecting to %s

%d bloggers like this: