Archive

Archive for May, 2012

PA Worker Electrocuted

PHILADELPHIA, PA — Authorities in Philadelphia say a worker has been electrocuted at a construction site north of the center of the city.

Police say the man was working on the third floor of a building under renovation in the Fairmount section of the city.

Police said he came in contact with an electric wire just before 1:30 p.m. Monday and plummeted from the scaffolding to the ground.

Witnesses told WCAU-TV that the victim was hoisting up a bucket with a large hook on it that hit a power line.

Police said the man, who was about 30 years old, was pronounced dead at the scene about 15 minutes later. His name has not been released.

Officials say it’s unclear whether he was killed by the electric shock or by the fall.

Story via www.wytv.com

INDIA: Contractor Negligence Causes Electrocution

Mahim, INDIA: A 21-year-old man was electrocuted at a bus stand in Mahim (East) on Thursday. The police have registered a case of negligence against the contractors of a billboard at the bus stand that is believed to have caused the electrocution.

The victim identified as Abdul Karim Shakil Shaikh, a resident of Rathi Killa Compound, Mahim (East) . Police officers said it was a short circuit in a billboard displaying a tea advertisement above the bus stand that electrocuted Shaikh.

The police have registered a case of causing death due to negligence under Section 304(A) of the Indian Penal Code against the contractors of the billboard.The police said Shaikh was a hawker who sold imitation jewellery sets on streets. He is survived by his mother and four brothers. “A probe is on,” said an officer.

Story via expressindia.com

England: Company Negligent in Electrical Accident

Cambridgeshire, ENGLAND:  A Cambridgeshire firm has been fined £3,500 after an employee was left unable to work for four months when he suffered an electric shock.

Tecvac pleaded guilty at Cambridge Magistrates’ Court to having neglected sufficient working safety standards.

Derek Offord, 45, was conducting a machinery operation at the company’s plant in Buckingway Business Park when he was shocked by electric volts from cables.

Mr Offord suffered gashes to parts of his arm and hands as well as burns to his left arm and knee. He remained in hospital for almost two weeks and was out of work for a further four months while his injuries healed.

An inquiry was held by the Health and Safety Executive (HSE) into the incident, which took place on 28 July last year, and it was concluded that Tecvac failed to supply a necessary safe working environment and failed to maintain a safe electrical system.

Tecvac Limited, pleaded guilty to infringement of Regulation 4 (3) of the Electricity at Work Regulations and the company was charged £3,500 with costs of £5,380.

Story via IOSH.com

For an Electrical Safety Audit  and Electrical Safety Training contact:

Martin Technical Electrical Safety Services Arc Flash

Advertisement – Click on Ad to visit Martin Technical

IL Maintenance Worker Shocked

BETHALTO, IL — An electrical accident during construction at Civic Memorial High School sent a school maintenance worker to the hospital Friday and students to the empty Bethalto West building nearby.

Bethalto Fire Chief Rich Mersinger said an accident involving an electrical box at the school resulted in a Bethalto School District employee suffering burns to his face, necessitating him being taken to Alton Memorial Hospital for treatment of his injuries.

“They were doing electrical work in the mechanical room when one of the wires on the electrical panel grounded out and started sparking,” Mersinger said. “The burns weren’t severe, but he was transported to Alton Memorial for more evaluation.”

The incident caused a power outage at the school shortly before 10 a.m., and students were evacuated from the building, first to the bleacher area of the football field, and then to the nearby building formerly used as Bethalto West Elementary School.

“We had the students by the track, but once we saw the rain, we moved them to the old elementary,” Principal Debra Pitts said. “No students were injured.”

“The outage was not due to an Ameren issue,” said Victoria Busch, a media responder for the utility.

Mersinger said an electrician on the scene isolated the circuit that had caused the problem from the rest of the building and reconnected the power.

Mersinger said he gave the OK for classes to resume about 10:30 a.m., and the high school finished the day on its normal schedule.

Story via thetelegraph.com

NY: 2 Electrical Contractors Injured, OSHA Investigating

Binghampton, NY:  One person has been treated and released from Lourdes Hospital following an electrical accident that left two electrical contractors injured on the job Wednesday afternoon.

Lourdes Hospital reported two electrical contractors were injured Wednesday.

One suffered burns and was flown by medical helicopter to Strong Memorial Hospital in Rochester.

It has been determined that both men were employees of MATCO Electric.

MATCO was unable to release the names of the employees, but would says the company was aware of the accident and is working with Lourdes Hospital and OSHA.

According the Binghamton City Fire Marshal, it’s believed that one of the injured men came in contact with 480 volts of electricity encased in steel. That contact caused a flash.

The Fire Marshal has declared the cause accidental.

OSHA, or the Occupational Safety and Health Administration is aware of the incident and has opened an inspection on the accident.

OSHA was unable to give any details on the inspection, but was able to confirm that its at the beginning stages of the inspection.

Source via WBGN.com

FL Electrical Worker Hospitalized

Mayo, FL — A Suwannee County man was seriously injured after making contact with a primary electrical line on Monday, Suwannee Valley Electric Cooperative Community Relations Manager Tom Tuckey confirmed.

According to Tuckey, 51-year-old Roger Alford was changing a transformer in the Mayo area when the accident occurred and was immediately rushed to Shands UF, where he remains.

“He came in contact with energized equipment while changing the transformer,” Tuckey explained.

As a result, Alford suffered burns, but is expected to make a full recovery and was even able to eat on his own Tuesday evening, Tuckey stated.

“We are just thankful that it is no worse than it is and we are keeping him and his family in our prayers,” Tuckey added.

Alford’s sister, Elizabeth Starling, is relieved that her brother is improving. According to Starling, Alford did talk a little Tuesday evening and will possibly undergo a skin graph on Friday.

“We’re so thankful that he is improving and words cannot express our gratitude for the prayers of everyone,” Starling said. “We just ask everyone to continue praying for his recovery.”

Tuckey emphasized that although it is uncertain what the length of Alford’s recovery might be, a full recovery is expected.

“We’ve had an excellent track record in safety, but this was a very unfortunate incident,” Tuckey said.

Alford, who has been employed with SVEC since 1989, was listed in fair condition at Shands UF Wednesday morning.

Story via Suwannee Democrat

For Electrical Safety Training contact:

Martin Technical Electrical Safety Services Arc Flash

Advertisement – Click on Ad to visit Martin Technical

India Power Plant Worker Killed in Electrical Fire

CHENNAI/METTUR  INDIA: The Tamil Nadu government has ordered an enquiry into the electrical fire accident at the 840MW Mettur thermal power plant which killed one person. The fire was sparked off from a conveyor belt carrying coal to the furnace. Sources in the Tamil Nadu Electricity Board told TOI that a probe would unearth the causes of the fire at the plant which forced managers to shut down the plant and deprive the state of a much-needed 800MW of supply.

Raising the issue in the state assembly, chief minister J Jayalalithaa said the fire, which broke out past midnight on Thursday, had completely damaged the conveyor belt and the space between the two towers in the coal handling area. All the four units at the power station were halted. Station chief engineer C Madhu told reporters soon after the fire was brought under control that the accident could have been caused by electrical short-circuit.

Story via Times of India