Archive

Archive for August, 2012

CANADA: Arc Flash at SIAST

August 21, 2012 Leave a comment

Regina, Canada: SIAST building at Wascana Campus in Regina will remain closed Wednesday after an electrical surge Monday caused blacked out power for all of Tuesday.  The Canadian Security Exam scheduled for this evening will be held at the SIAST Wascana Parkway Centre. Daytime Basic Education and ESL classes have been transferred to the SIAST Wascana Parkway Centre until power is restored.

Around 9:30 Monday night, a 29-year-old man was working on an upgrade being done to the electrical system of the building.  What happened next is being described as an arc-flash incident.  The man was sent to hospital but he will be fine. As of Tuesday night the power was still out at the building.  “We’re not even 100 percent certain that it was an arc flash,” explained Richard Murray with the Ministry of Central Services, “I’ve heard the term arc flash bandied about here today.  But until the investigation is complete, I’m not even certain if that’s what we’re facing here.” The building is run by the province.  Murray added that there is no danger to the public or students.

All normal operations were shut down at the building Tuesday including a couple of summer classes. A few summer classes were temporarily moved to SIAST’s Wascana Parkway Centre.
Tuesday evening, the school announced the main building would remain shut down for Wednesday as well.

Story via cjme.com

Visit Martin Technical for Arc Flash Analysis and Arc Flash Training:

Martin Technical Electrical Safety Services Arc Flash

Advertisement – Click on Ad to visit Martin Technical

Advertisements

WI: $123,000 Fine for Electrical Hazards

August 9, 2012 Leave a comment

GRANTSBURG, WI:  Federal officials say a northwest Wisconsin factory committed nine safety violations. The Parker Hannifin plant in Grantsburg was cited by the US Occupational Safety and Health Administration – and the agency is recommending $123,000 in fines.

OSHA said the plant committed two repeat violations for not protecting employees from electrical hazards and amputation. And among other things, the government said the plant has not made periodic reviews of its energy control procedures – and has not used machine guards at its mills. OSHA categorizes the violations as serious, saying the hazards pose a quote, “substantial probability that death or serious physical harm could result.” OSHA has given similar citations to other Parker Hannifin plants in Ohio and Mississippi in past years.

The Grantsburg plant makes quick couplings for numerous functions. The firm has not commented on the new violations. It has 15 days to decide whether to pay the fine, challenge the citation, or seek a settlement conference with OSHA.

Story via wtaq.com

Visit Martin Technical for Electrical Safety Audit Services:

Martin Technical Electrical Safety Services Arc Flash

Advertisement – Click on Ad to visit Martin Technical

NH: $173,500 OSHA Fine, Electrical Hazards

August 9, 2012 Leave a comment
Merrimack, NH:  The U.S. Department of Labor’s Occupational Safety and Health Administration proposed fines Monday totalling $173,500 for alleged workplace safety violations against 10 contractors that worked on construction of the Merrimack Premium Outlets shopping mall in Merrimack.  The proposed fines, citing alleged fall, electrical and other hazards, followed an inspection by OSHA’s Concord area office that began in January.  Cited were general contractor Hardin Construction of Atlanta, Ga., as well as nine subcontractors.
Besides Hardin, the subcontractors were roofing subcontractor P&A Roofing and Sheet Metal Inc. of Orlando, Fla.; steel-framing contractor F.L. Crane and Sons Inc. of Hutto, Texas; siding and trim contractor Palace Construction Inc. of Litchfield; MasRam Mechanical LP of Houston, Texas; Timber Structures of Auburndale, Fla.; Four Star Drywall LLC of Manchester; Professional Electrical Contractors of CT Inc. of Norwood, Mass.; Paul Modzeleski doing business as Sentry Roofing of Dunbarton; and J.M.D. Architectural Products Inc. of Tipp City, Ohio.
“Our inspection found workers exposed to a variety of common but avoidable hazards associated with construction work, notably falls and electric shocks,” Rosemarie Ohar, OSHA’s New Hampshire area director, said in a statement.
“Both of these hazards can kill or disable workers in seconds. For the safety of their employees, employers must adhere to required safeguards at all times on this and all job sites,” she said.
Each employer has 15 business days from receipt of OSHA’s citations and proposed penalties to comply, meet with OSHA’s area director or contest the findings before the independent Occupational Safety and Health Review Commission.
Stroy via UnionLeader.com
Martin Technical Electrical Safety Services Arc Flash

Advertisement – Click on Ad to visit Martin Technical

AJMAN: 6 dead from Electrical Fire

August 9, 2012 Leave a comment

Ajman, United Arab Emerates: A faulty electrical connection is being cited as the cause of a fatal electrical fire that claimed the lives of six people in Ajman early Tuesday, said authorities yesterday.  Fire officials told Gulf News that an electrical connection related to the air conditioning in the two-storey villa in Humaidiya residential district sparked a fire that swept through the dwelling. An Emirati widow, Haleema Mubarak, her three daughters, Mariam, Nouf and Moza, and two unidentified housemaids perished in the blaze shortly after 9am.  A lone surviving family member, 15-year-old son Amr Abdullah, escaped the blaze by jumping from his upstairs bedroom window located at the rear of the villa. He was released from Shaikh Khalifa Hospital after treatment and has been relocated to Ras Al Khaimah with relatives.

< A href=”http://gulfnews.advertserve.com/servlet/click/zone?zid=998&pid=0&custom5=Gulf&custom6=UAE&lookup=true&position=1&#8243; target=”_top”>< IMG src=”http://gulfnews.advertserve.com/servlet/view/banner/image/zone?zid=998&pid=0&custom5=Gulf&custom6=UAE&position=1&#8243; height=”” width=”” hspace=”0″ vspace=”0″ border=”0″ alt=”Click Here!”>< /A>While the specifics of the electrical nature of the fire were not released yesterday, the fire official said in an interview that the mother and both the maids may have been watching television on the ground floor late into the evening and could have “fallen asleep and left the air conditioning on”.  The fire spread rapidly throughout the home, filling the villa with smoke.  The official said that the thick black smoke is most likely the chief reason behind the victims’ inability to escape the fire. While the three daughters upstairs are believed to have died from smoke inhalation, the victims downstairs may not have been able to find their way out through the smoke.

Some of the victims “couldn’t leave because of the smoke. It paralysed their movement”, the official said.  Fire officials said on Tuesday that the mother made a desperate call to emergency officials from her burning villa shortly before 9am. She never completed the call — the call for assistance ended abruptly. Calls returned to the distress caller were not answered. Firefighters were dispatched to the Humaidiya neighbourhood where they discovered smoke on the horizon and tracked the fire to the woman’s home.

Civil Defence officials said in a statement that finding the home was difficult because the fire service does not have a computer system that links phone calls to actual locations through GPS services. Plans, however, are under way to implement such a system to prevent fire fatalities in the emirate. In a push for prevention, the fire official warned people to ensure that people “turn off their air condition when they are not sleeping and to make sure that anything that is not needed for immediate use be switched off. People need to be more cautious”. The deceased members of the family were laid to rest late Tuesday.

It’s believed officials are overseeing procedures to repatriate the bodies of the two maids to their home countries in Indonesia and Ethiopia.

Stroy via Gulf News

TX: Church Fire casued by Electrical Arching

August 9, 2012 Leave a comment
Odessa, TX:  Investigators with Odessa Fire/Rescue have determined the cause of the St. James Baptist fire was caused by an electrical malfunction.  Fire Marshal Detra White said investigators found signs of electrical arching in the area considered the attic, which was a small space between the original tar and gravel roof and newer pitched roof.  “The fire, once it started in that attic, had old wood from the structure and tar from the roof and gravel from the roof that were excellent fuels,” White said. “We had just enough wind to provide oxygen and it was almost like the perfect storm.

Because the fire involved a church, investigators with the Bureau of Alcohol, Tobacco, Firearms and Explosives were required to investigate as stated by a federal mandate, White said.

Story via OA online