Home > Electrical Fire, Industrial > VA: Electrical Fire at Medical Center – 65 Patients Moved

VA: Electrical Fire at Medical Center – 65 Patients Moved

Salem, VA: Just after noon Sunday, Salem Fire and EMS crews were called to an electrical fire at LewisGale Medical Center.  Firefighters found smoke on the fourth floor of the east wing of the building.

The hospital staff saw the fire and put it out with an extinguisher before crews arrived.  No one was injured but 65 patients were moved as a precaution.  The fire started in an electrical panel box.

According to LewisGale Regional Health System spokeswoman Joy Sutton, the electrical fire began in an empty patient room on the 4th floor of the hospital.

“Due to the quick thinking and actions of our staff, the medical center’s evacuation plan was also immediately activated, and 24 patients on the east wing of the fourth floor were moved off the floor to other patient areas in less than 10 minutes,” said Victor E. Giovanetti, President, LewisGale Regional Health System, according to Sutton’s news release.

Sutton added that 41 additional patients were moved from east-wing rooms on the 3rd, 5th, and 6th floors as a precaution, so the Fire Marshal’s Office could investigate.

The patients are being moved back to their original rooms, with the exception of those who were in occupied room on the east wing of the 4th floor.

Story via wsls.com

Advertisements
  1. No comments yet.
  1. No trackbacks yet.

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out / Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out / Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out / Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out / Change )

Connecting to %s

%d bloggers like this: