Home > Electrical Fire, Home > FL: Extension Cord Fire Causes $30K in Damages

FL: Extension Cord Fire Causes $30K in Damages

Palm Bay, FL: An overheated extension cord started an electrical fire that caused about $30,000 damage to a Palm Bay home early today.  The fire apparently began about 6:30 a.m. near a space heater behind an old couch in the home at 1326 Cherry Hills Road NE, according to Palm Bay Fire Rescue Assistant Fire Marshal Ronald Bailey.  Smoke alarms alerted the residents who evacuated without injury, Palm Bay officials said. Firefighters quickly stopped the blaze, containing the fire in the master bedroom though smoke damaged other parts of the home.  Bailey said the extension cord being used was too small and overheated, catching the sofa on fire.

The Red Cross was called to assist the family.  As temperatures briefly dip across Central Florida, officials remind residents to be careful with portable heaters. According to the National Fire Protection Association, heaters are one of the leading causes of fatal house fires.

To prevent fires, residents should:  Keep a three-foot area around a heater clear of combustibles and other items;  don’t use ovens as a home heating source turn portable heaters off when leaving a room or going to bed always use correct fuel, and follow directions on a heater;  test smoke alarms.

Story via floridatoday.com

Advertisements
  1. No comments yet.
  1. No trackbacks yet.

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out /  Change )

Google photo

You are commenting using your Google account. Log Out /  Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )

Connecting to %s

%d bloggers like this: