Archive

Archive for the ‘International’ Category

Indonesia: Electrocution Leads to Worker Fatality

July 25, 2014 Leave a comment

Jakarta, Indonesia – A worker with construction company PT Baja Prima died on Wednesday after being electrocuted by a charged metal roof frame in Depok, West Java.

Ayit, a 40-year-old resident of Jelambar, Grogol, West Jakarta, was hit by high voltage currents when he and his fellow worker Aji were repairing the roof frame on a three-story house on Jl. Kapuas, Bhakti Jaya subdistrict in Simpangan Depok.

“The victim was struck by the electric current when the victim and I fixed the steel-made roof frame. The victim died on his way to an adjacent hospital on Jl. Raya Bogor,” Aji said on Wednesday.

Aji said he heard a sound like thunder and then saw that Ayit’s body was badly burned.

Yadi Mulyadi, another eyewitness, said besides seeing a bolt of lightning he also heard an explosion.

“I was shocked to see the victim’s body burn and then fall to the ground,” he said, as quoted by tribunnews.com.

Yadi added that the victim was electrocuted when the steel roof frame touched high-voltage electrical wires hanging over the construction site.

Sukmajaya Police station chief Comr. Agus Widodo said police were still investigating the fatal incident.

Story via: www.thejakartapost.com

India: Electrical Accident Deaths Continue to Rise

February 17, 2014 Leave a comment

Bangalore, India: Even as Mangalore Electricity Supply Company (Mescom) winds up its one-week awareness programme, it is confronted with an ever-increasing number of fatalities, due to electrocution. The latest being the death of a farmer who touched a faulty fuse on his pumpset near Vittal on Wednesday.

Between April and December, 52 persons, including one official, died in electrical accidents involving Mescom connections. By sheer extrapolation, the financial year 2013-14 will record the most accidents for the public utility company – which serves Dakshina Kannada, Udupi, Shimoga and Chikmagalur – in the recent years.

Reasons

Officials offer a bevy of reasons, the prime being sagging wires, bent poles – either due to trees or branches falling during the monsoons, or damage to poles during ploughing or construction work – improper grounding due to stagnating water, illegal construction close to electric lines and illegal irrigation pumpsets among others.

Employee deaths are attributed to “overconfidence” in not creating a ‘safe zone’ while repairing live wires, or “procedural lapses” arising due to pressures of attending numerous complaints during the monsoons.

“During the rains, the porcelain insulators may develop hairline cracks, and as water seeps in, the insulators conduct electricity. If the lineman, who has to climb up each pole and see the insulators, is not observant, he may end up touching a live insulator,” said an official. A rainy night may see a team of linemen attending four to five calls, adding to the possibility of procedural lapses, he said.

Though at least two linemen have died in service in the district, since April last year, they do not feature in official records of Mescom personnel dead in the district – the number remains zero. The reason being, said officials, that linemen on contract are not considered “employees of Mescom”.

“For the regular linemen they get facilities of rehabilitation from Mescom. For the contract workers, you have to haggle with the contractor for additional funds,” said Shivkumar, president of the Mescom non-permanent workers association.

Story Via: thehindu.com

India: Electrical Accident Fatalities Still Persistent

January 14, 2014 Leave a comment

Bangalore, India:
According to Bescom records, the number of fatal electrical accidents in the first half of Fiscal 2013 in the Bescom jurisdiction was 86 involving people, and 45 involving animals.
Statistics of the past five years show that the number of accidents has been persistently high. In 2009-10, the fatalities were 105, while in 2012-13, it was 127.

According to an analysis done by Bescom, there are seven categories under which these accidents have taken place. Among them, snapping of conductors, accidental contact with live wire, lack of supervision and violation of safety norms and defective appliances top the list.  The number of deaths due to electrical accidents involving the public is far higher than the number of deaths of the Bescom staff. In both 2012-13 fiscal and 2013-14 fiscal (until November), the number of fatal accidents involving the public has been higher compared with the number of non-fatal accidents. In 2012-13, 116 people died in electrical accidents and 51 met with non-fatal accidents.
In the current 2013-14 fiscal, 81 people have died, compared with 36 people who escaped in non-fatal incidents. As far as the staff is concerned, the company has lost four lives in 2013-14, and as many as 11 in 2012-13.
There have been deaths of animals, too. Of the 45 deaths of animals in electrical accidents, 17 were due to snapping of conductors, 13 due to accidental contact with live wire, among others.
In a circular on November 19, 2013, Bescom General Manager (Quality and Safety) Mohan Kalluraya notes: “Electrical accidents in the Bescom jurisdiction are increasing.
The Karnataka Electricity Regulatory Commission (KERC) is viewing this seriously… Even after issuing various circulars regarding identification and rectification of hazardous locations, yet accidents are on the rise.”
In a subsequent circular issued on December 7, 2013, by Bescom Director (Technical) H Nagesh, it is noted, “From the analysis of accidents reported, it is observed that the occurrence of departmental accidents is due to overconfidence of the field staff…”
Speaking to Deccan Herald, a KERC officer said that the majority of accidents occur because there is no sufficient gap between buildings and wires. Narrow roads and slums are more vulnerable.
Such accidents could be curtailed by 99 per cent by replacing open conductors with aerial bunched cables, he said. But these cables are quite expensive. “It is important to ensure that even if a wire snapped, it should not be hazardous. A better option is to resort to the underground system, though it is expensive. It costs approximately six times more than the overhead system, but it is definitely safer. Bescom may not have funds to replace it all at once, but it could be done in phases.”

Story Via: DeccanHerrald.com

Africa: Mother and Son Electrocuted

Osun, Africa: A mother and her son have been electrocuted in Osogbo, the Osun State capital, the police have said.

The Osun State Police Command said the electrocution happened after a rainstorm in Osogbo.

Story via premiumtimesng.com

Bangladesh: Worker Electrocuted

March 21, 2013 Leave a comment

Bangladesh:  A day labour died after being electrocuted in Boiragipara area of Rangpur city on Sunday night. The deceased is Biplob Mohanta, 19, son of Bishu Mohanta, of the same area. Witnesses said Biplob died on the spot as he came into contact with a live electric wire while working at a house in the area.  An unnatural death case was filed with Rangpur Kotwali Police Station in this connection, said Md Shahabuddin Khalifa, officer-in-charge of the police station.

Story via dailystar.net

India: 1 Electrocuted, 1 Seriously Burned

India: Deedar Singh (57), a resident of Jastna Khurd village near Lalru and a POWERCOM employee, lost his life by getting an electric shock while working on an electricity pole near Chaudheri village in Lalru on Saturday. Jasbir Singh, another lineman accompanying him, sustained serious injuries during the incident.

According to POWERCOM’s SDO Kehar Singh, the two linemen were sent to conduct the repair work at Chaudheri village on Saturday.

The electricity supply to the line had been discontinued for repair and their fuse uninstalled, but due to heavy storms and rain during the day, the fuse got connected and current passed through the line due to which Deedar Singh sustained the shock, said the SDO.

Jasbir Singh was referred to GMCH-32 where his condition is said to be stable and the body of the deceased has been sent to Civil Hospital, Dera Bassi for conducting the postmortem while further proceedings have been initiated, said the police.

Story via indianexpress.com

England: House Fire from Electrical Fault

Barming, England: Fire crews were called to a house blaze in Maidstone yesterday afternoon.

Two pumps arrived at St David’s Gate, in Barming, at about 3.30pm, to tackle the flames which had broken out in an ensuite bathroom.

Firefighters wore breathing apparatus and used a hose reel to put out fire, and a positive pressure ventilation fan was used to help minimise smoke damage to the property.

They left the scene at 4.15pm.

No one is thought to have been injured.

It’s believed the electrical fire was caused by an electrical fault and is being treated as an accident.

Story via kentonline.co.uk