Expert Questions

QUESTIONS ABOUT ELECTRICAL SAFETY & ACCIDENTS

If you have questions about electrical safety or electrical accidents, please post your comment here.  We will try to have one of our subject matter experts answer your question.

  1. N. Thames
    September 27, 2010 at 6:08 pm

    I am giving a presentation about electrical cord safety and would like to know the number of injuries, fatal and non-fatal, and fires that occur due to unsafe electrical cords. I can’t find any statistics, so any help would be greatly appreciated.

    Thanks,
    N. Thames

  2. jimschuster
    October 19, 2010 at 11:17 am

    Here is the best resource I know of on this topic:
    http://www.cpsc.gov/cpscpub/pubs/16.html

    The U.S. Consumer Product Safety Commission (CPSO) estimates that each year, about 4,000 injuries associated with electric extension cords are treated in hospital emergency rooms. About half the injuries involve fractures, lacerations, contusions, or sprains from people tripping over extension cords. Thirteen percent of the injuries involve children under-five years of age; electrical burns to the mouth accounted for half the injuries to young children.

    CPSC also estimates that about 3,300 residential fires originate in extension cords each year, killing 50 people and injuring about 270 others. The most frequent causes of such fires are short circuits, overloading, damage, and/or misuse of extension cords.

    other information to consider from OSHA.

    http://www.osha.gov/SLTC/etools/construction/electrical_incidents/fatexequipment.html

    Electrical Cord Safety information can be found at: http://www.osha.gov/pls/oshaweb/owadisp.show_document?p_table=standards&p_id=10717

  3. Jeff
    April 8, 2014 at 11:46 am

    I have had an experience with a transformer arcing and striking a person walking by. No jewelry. He was struck in the hand and burned. The transformer is small, 480 Volts 60 amps step down to 120 volts circuits. The transformer was checked out, no faults, no ground problem, nothing. Everything working properly. The area is clean, no dust, no water. I have not ever heard of this situation before. Do you have any thoughts?

  1. No trackbacks yet.

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out / Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out / Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out / Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out / Change )

Connecting to %s

%d bloggers like this: