Posts Tagged ‘airport’

Arc Flash Accident Leaves 4 Dubai Men Injured

March 15, 2012 Leave a comment

Dubai: Doctors treating the four victims in the accident that took place at Dubai International Airport’s concourse 3, said that two of them, who suffered 90 per cent burns, remain critical. One of the other workers is out of danger and the fourth is stable.

The workers were conducting a routine test of some electrical equipment when tragedy struck.

Abdul Samad Fajr Allah, 26, an electrical engineer from India, and Dev Bahadur, 33, a technician from Nepal, are battling for life.

Habib Rahman, a substation supervisor, is out of danger while Ramesh Natrajan is still not out of danger, but is stable.

Gulf News visited Rahman in hospital and found that the dressing had been removed from his face, but he is unable to speak.

A member of the specialist doctors team that is handling the case said though the two critical victims have overcome the crucial 72 hours, chances of their survival are marginal.

Only in four to five instances out of 100 such cases, victims survive and in my career spanning 12 years, I have not seen any of them survive beyond a few months. It will be miraculous if they do,” a member of the team told Gulf News on condition of anonymity.

However, he added that the condition of their hearts are stable and the organs are trying to support the body. “But the wounds are too deep, with most of the skin burnt and tissues and nerves are also mostly damaged. Even if both of them survive, restoring the damaged parts of the body would be a humungous task,” he added.

According to another source, none of the victims received an electric shock. The doctor confirmed this: “Their heart condition suggests that they were not hit by electric current. If that happens, the first thing to be affected is the heart, which is stable in this case. The severity of wounds suggests that they were hit by an extreme temperature flare.”  According to industry experts, the flare that hit the victims is most certainly the ‘Arc Flash’, which exceeds temperature of 300 degree Celsius.

Industry experts suggest that Fajr Allah, the electrical engineer, was too young and inexperienced to handle the critical testing process.

“The testing of Ring Main Unit (RMU), which exploded, is generally done by the project manager with the experience of at least 10-12 years behind him. Considering his age, this person looks to be fairly new and most probably he was not adept at handling the task but might have accepted it under pressure from his seniors,” Mohammad Mousa, an electrical engineer with work experience of more than 15 years, said.

According to sources at ETA Ascon, Fajr Allah was only a junior engineer at ETA’s power control and switchgear division.

When contacted, an official from ETA said that the case is under investigation by Dubai Civil Aviation Authority and that the company is trying to provide whatever help they can to the victims.

Story via

Free Electrical Safety Resources Martin Technical Arc Flash

Click Logo for Free Resources


Police Officer in Hawaii Shocked by Lighting Fixture

November 28, 2011 Leave a comment

Honolulu, HI – Nov. 14–The 31-year-old Honolulu Police officer injured by an electrical shock while working a security detail near the airport has been released from Queen’s Medical Center.

The officer was staffing a security post at Aolele street set up for the Asia-Pacific Economic Cooperation meetings when he touched a road lighting fixture on a railing and was shocked, police said.

Dan Meisenzahl, the state Department of Transportation spokesman, said maintenance crews today are investigating the ramp’s railing which contains the lighting fixture.

Paramedics were sent to the scene about 6:30 p.m., a spokesman for the city Department of Emergency Services said.

The officer was treated at Queen’s Sunday night and released. His name and extent of injuries was not released.

Story via

Electrician Injured at Page Field Airport

January 22, 2011 Leave a comment

Fort Meyers, FL – One person has been transported to Lee Memorial Hospital following an electrical accident at Page Field Airport in Fort Myers.

Patrick Conran, spokesman for general contractor Owen-Ames-Kimball, said there was an electrical accident and an injury to one of the company’s electricians, but Conran didn’t yet know what happened.

 He said he was on his way to Page Field to get more information on the incident.

Story via

Martin Technical Electrical Safety Service

Advertisement - Click on Ad to visit Martin Technical