Posts Tagged ‘Arkansas’

Contract Worker Electrocuted in AR

March 14, 2012 Leave a comment

PINE BLUFF, AR – An electrical accident left a man dead at the Pine Bluff Arsenal in Arkansas around  3 pm Monday afternoon, according to officials.

The arsenal’s public affairs office said in a statement that a contract employee was accidentally electrocuted, resulting in his death.

Authorities are still investigating the electrical accident.

Story via

2 Farmers in AR Killed by High Voltage Power Line In Electrical Accident

October 25, 2010 Leave a comment

POCAHONTAS, ARKANSAS – Two Region 8 farmers were killed Friday after they accidentally moved a grain auger into a high line. According to the Randolph County Sheriff’s Office, Michael Thatch, 45, and Victor Throesch, 47, were killed in the accident.

Officials with the Randolph County Sheriff’s Office say both men were moving the auger by hand when the incident happened. Thatch died at the scene. Throesch was taken to The MED in Memphis, where he later died.

The incident happened approximately three miles west of Maynard.

Story via

Muellwer Industries Fined $70K by OSHA Includes Electrical Maintenance Fines

WYNNE, ARKANSAS – The U.S. Department of Labor’s Occupational Safety and Health Administration has cited Mueller Copper Tube Products, a subsidiary of Mueller Industries Inc. in Wynne, Ark., with safety and health violations following an inspection at the company’s worksite on North Falls Boulevard.

The privately held corporation, headquartered in Memphis, Tenn., owns and operates 20 facilities located in eight states and two foreign countries. Proposed penalties total $70,675.

OSHA’s Little Rock office began its investigation on Jan. 27.

The plant was cited for four serious violations including failing to provide chains on platforms to protect workers from falling, to ensure workers were knowledgeable about the proper use of compressed air, and to repair or maintain electrical conduits.

Two repeat safety violations were issued for failing to provide machine guarding and to ensure shafts were adequately guarded. The serious and repeat safety violation penalties total $48,500.

The health inspection portion brought seven serious, one repeat and one other-than-serious violation with proposed penalties totaling $22,175.

Serious violations include failing to provide monitoring of noise levels, to ground and bond flammable and combustible liquids during transfer and to provide personal protective equipment.

The repeat violation was issued for failing to properly label containers.

Mueller Copper Tube Products employs about 2,000 workers in Arkansas, California, Florida, Michigan, Mississippi, Ohio, Pennsylvania, Tennessee, Canada and England — about 372 of whom are located at the Wynne facility.

In January, OSHA issued three Mueller Industries Inc. subsidiaries in Fulton, Miss., with 128 citations for exposing workers to safety and health hazards.

The citations resulted from an investigation in July 2009 after a maintenance worker employed by Mueller Copper Tube Co. was killed and two other workers were injured when naphtha, a flammable liquid of hydrocarbon mixtures, leaked from an electric pump and ignited.

The penalties total $683,000, and the company has contested the citations and penalties.

The company has 15 business days from receipt of these latest citations to comply, request an informal conference with OSHA’s area director in Little Rock, Ark., or contest the citations and proposed penalties before the independent Occupational Safety and Health Review Commission.

Categories: Industrial, Legal Tags: , , , ,

Arkansas Electrical Worker Stumbles into Energized Switchgear

April 21, 2010 Leave a comment

FAYETTEVILLE, AR. –Officials with Ozarks Electric say an employee is still recovering following electrical contact.

Safety officials from both Ozarks Electric and Arkansas Electric recently completed their investigation of the incident that occurred April 15 in a new subdivision near the Farmington Elementary school.

Evidence shows the contact occurred while the worker was applying cable-pulling lubricant to a conduit. He then lost his balance and stumbled into the energized switchgear. A spokeswoman for Ozarks Electric said it was a routine procedure turned tragic.

Emergency responders from the Fayetteville Fire Department arrived on the scene within minutes of the accident and the victim was transported to Washington Regional Medical Center.

Story Via