Archive

Posts Tagged ‘boy’

Electrical Accident Kills 4 in Virginia

March 14, 2012 Leave a comment

Fort A.P. Hill, VA – Four volunteer Boy Scout leaders from Alaska were accidentally electrocuted yesterday afternoon as they set up camp on the first day of the  scouts’ national jamboree at Fort A.P. Hill, Va., the organization said.

The four victims, all adult men, were killed between 4:30 and 5 p.m. at their camp at the military base, Gregg Shields, a spokesman for the Boy Scouts said.

Two other scout leaders and a contract worker were injured and were taken to a nearby hospital for treatment, Mr. Shields said. Their conditions were not released by the authorities last night.

Neither Mr. Shields nor Brian Wolfe, a spokesman for Rappahannock Electric Cooperative, the electric company that provides powers for the base, offered any details of how the accident happened.

Bill Haines, the executive of the Western Alaska Council of the Boy Scouts, which covers about 80 percent of the state’s scouts, said  the men had been among eight leaders selected from a field of 20 to accompany about 80 scouts from Troop 711, in the Anchorage area.

“These are just the cream of the crop,” Mr. Haines said from his home in Eagle River, Alaska. “These people sacrifice time and energy because they care about kids. You couldn’t ask for a better group of people. It’s just a tragic loss.”

Two of the men had accompanied their sons on the trip, Mr. Haines said. One man who died had two sons at the jamboree, a quadrennial event. The other two men were lifetime scouters, he said, whose sons had been in the organization when they were younger.

Mr. Haines said that none of the names of the dead would be released until all the families were notified.

“The son of one man works here in town and I had to tell his son because his mother’s out of town,” Mr. Haines said. “That was very difficult. Any time you lose a father it’s very tough, and with scouting your family tends to be tighter to the father because you do a lot with him.”

The scouts arrived yesterday at Fort A.P. Hill, an active military base where temperatures reached about 100 degrees for the jamboree, a week of outdoor recreation including scuba diving, archery and all-terrain biking. Busloads of scouts and troop leaders scampered around from morning to evening yesterday, receiving their camp assignments, pitching tents and setting up eating areas.

The accident caused a power loss that left some areas of the camp without electricity for  30 minutes.

As counselors were brought in to speak with the campers, a spokeswoman for the Scouts, Renee Fairer, said, “Our thoughts and prayers are with the families.”

After news of the accident broke, families called the jamboree in a panic to make sure their children were unharmed, Ms. Fairer said. She said she was not aware of any parents’ withdrawing their sons from the jamboree.    President Bush was scheduled to address the scouts there tomorrow evening, Mr. Shields said.

Mr. Haines, who knew all four of the electrocuted men, said that as of last night, there were no plans to bring the Alaskan scouts home. The troop  was moved to another part of the base. The three sons of the dead men would return to Alaska, he said.

The troop left Anchorage last week and began a tour of the Washington area before going to Fort A.P. Hill, which lies about 90 minutes south of the capitol.

“It’s a good opportunity for the kids to get down to the lower 48,” Mr. Haines said.

To raise money to cover the $2,500 cost of the trip, the scouts sold popcorn, held car washes and did extra chores at their homes. The leaders each paid $1,250 out of their own pockets, Mr. Haines said.

One of the men killed had recently moved from Alaska to Ohio, and decided only last week, on a visit to attend the 50th anniversary celebration of the Western Alaska Council, to attend the jamboree when space opened up.

“He had been in scouting for 25 years,” Mr. Haines said. “This was his first jamboree.”

Gov. Mark Warner of Virginia issued a statement  saying the accident would be investigated thoroughly.

In Alaska, over the sound of his doorbell chiming as he fielded calls about the accident, Mr. Haines said the jamboree would not be the same for his troops for some years.

“Everybody knows them,” he said of the dead men. “It’s going to be a huge loss for this council. They were some of the best leaders that we had.”

Story via NYtimes.com

Advertisements

Boy Electrocuted After Playing with Light Socket

January 16, 2011 Leave a comment

Olango Island, A boy wanted to play doctor. He ended up electrocuted instead when he touched a live wire hanging on a tree in sitio Kaosmangan, barangay Baring, Olango Island last Saturday afternoon.

Police identified the nine-year-old victim as Stephen Ompad, a resident of the area.

A Grade 1 pupil of Baring Elementary School, Ompod died after playing with a socket bulb hanging at a tamarind tree.

The victim was with friends when they stopped by a tamarind tree. While his friends climbed the tree to get tamarind, Ompad was attracted to the wire on the tree.

He tried to grab the socket bulb, not realizing that it was a live wire.

Montebon said his playmates told him that Ompad pretended to be a doctor and pulled the socket to his heart to simulate the use of a stethoscope. But the socket instead electrocuted him.

He was rushed to the Sta. Rosa Community Hospital in the island but died before reaching it. /Reporter Jucell Marie P. Cuyos

Story via GlobalNationEnquirer.Net

Court Hearing Case of Liverpool Boy Electrocuted by 25,000 Volts

November 1, 2010 Leave a comment

LIVERPOOL, ENGLAND – An inquest heard how a teenager died instantly when he was hit by 25,000 volts as he clambered on disused rolling stock at a railway depot in Liverpool.

Liam Gill, 13, was electrocuted by the massive charge of electricity that hit him when he came close to overhead lines after he scrambled along the roof of a freight wagon.

The popular schoolboy, whose nickname was “Dudda”, was with two pals when the tragedy happened in August 2009, Liverpool Coroner’s court has heard.

A jury heard how the trio gained access to sidings at Allerton last year though a gap in perimeter security fencing.

One of the boys, now aged 15, who cannot be named for legal reasons, told his account of the tragedy that happened around 5pm on Sunday 9th August 2009.

Questioned by Coroner Andre Rebello, the dark-haired youth, wearing a grey t-shirt, spoke in a low voice.

He said: “We went through a gap in the railings. There was a cabin with grafitti sprayed all over it and chairs where you could sit down.

“We went inside the cabin and sat down for five minutes. We then climbed a ladder and got on top of the carriage. I went up first and the other two followed.

“We walked along the top of the train, walking towards the railings to get out.

“I was walking along first, and then Liam and then the other lad.

“We were walking along the centre of the curved roof. When we got to the end we could hear a ticking sound, when we got close to the wire.

“We sat down to drop off the carriage and Liam went to the other side.

“We heard a loud bang. Me and the other lad were both burnt so we ran-off.

“We couldn’t see Liam so we called for him a few times. We walked back because he wasn’t answering.

“We found him on the left hand side of the wagon. I tied my shirt around his head and ran to phone the ambulance.”

The court had heard that the youth suffered severe burns to his left arm.

Asked by the coroner whether he knew that he should not have been on the railway the teenager replied: “I know I wasn’t allowed on there.”

Mr Roger Kennedy, a solicitor representing EWS Railways, asked the youth if he had seen signs warning of the danger from overhead lines.

The replied: “No. I didn’t think the lines were live because it was a old wagon that is not used.”

The jury of two men and nine women were shown a series of photographs of the Allerton Freight Yard and a photograph of a warning sign was shown to the teenager.

Mr Kennedy said that the three boys had walked past five warning signs to get to the carriage, including two by the ladder they had climbed,

Mr Kennedy said: “Do you understand that sign means danger?” To which the youth replied “Yes”.

Pathologist Dr Jo-Louise McPartland said that Liam would have died instantly from electrocution.

She said: “With such a high voltage there would have been an abnormality in the heart. The heart would have stopped completely.

“The very high temperatures caused tissue damage. As soon as the power entered his body he would have died.”

Liam was a pupil at St Benedict’s RC High School, in Garston, and where he was a keen sporstsman.

His mother Linda Gill, had earlier told how she had performed the grim duty of identifying his charred remains at Alder Hey Hospital.

Cleaner Linda said: “I went to the hospital and I was anxious. I was taken into a room and a nurse came back. She took hold of me and said ‘I’m sorry your son is dead.’

“I started being hysterical and they picked me up off the floor. I was in complete shock.”

“Liam was a really lovely boy. He was a really nice. He was a well-liked lad and had lots of friends.

“Hopefully lessons will be learned and it will never happen again.”

The inquest continues and is expected to last until Wednesday.

Story via Click Liverpool.com