Archive

Posts Tagged ‘electrical box’

IL Maintenance Worker Shocked

BETHALTO, IL — An electrical accident during construction at Civic Memorial High School sent a school maintenance worker to the hospital Friday and students to the empty Bethalto West building nearby.

Bethalto Fire Chief Rich Mersinger said an accident involving an electrical box at the school resulted in a Bethalto School District employee suffering burns to his face, necessitating him being taken to Alton Memorial Hospital for treatment of his injuries.

“They were doing electrical work in the mechanical room when one of the wires on the electrical panel grounded out and started sparking,” Mersinger said. “The burns weren’t severe, but he was transported to Alton Memorial for more evaluation.”

The incident caused a power outage at the school shortly before 10 a.m., and students were evacuated from the building, first to the bleacher area of the football field, and then to the nearby building formerly used as Bethalto West Elementary School.

“We had the students by the track, but once we saw the rain, we moved them to the old elementary,” Principal Debra Pitts said. “No students were injured.”

“The outage was not due to an Ameren issue,” said Victoria Busch, a media responder for the utility.

Mersinger said an electrician on the scene isolated the circuit that had caused the problem from the rest of the building and reconnected the power.

Mersinger said he gave the OK for classes to resume about 10:30 a.m., and the high school finished the day on its normal schedule.

Story via thetelegraph.com

Advertisements

CA Shocked Killed Trying to Steal Electrical Wire

December 30, 2010 2 comments

PERRIS, CA – A Perris man was electrocuted [blogger’s note:  the media has misused the word “electrocution” here as this refers to someone who has died from electric shock.  The appropriate word to be used her is “shocked”] during an attempt to steal electrical box wires from a vacant warehouse in the area, authorities said Friday.

Jose Vargas, 30, was found with severe electrical burns on his body when deputies from the Perris station arrived Tuesday night at the 24100 block of Orange Avenue to assist fire officials with a call requiring medical assistance, Sgt. Scott Forbes said.

Forbes said a preliminary investigation shows that Vargas was in the process of stealing the wire from an electrical box when he was electrocuted.

The suspect was airlifted to a local hospital and is being treated for his injuries, Forbes said.

The Perris Burglary Suppression Team is investigating the incident.

Read more: http://www.swrnn.com/southwest-riverside/2010-12-30/news/suspect-electrocuted-during-robbery-attempt-in-perris#ixzz19derUocn

CA Boy Causes Electrical Arc at Ice Rink

December 6, 2010 Leave a comment

Temecula, CA – The outdoor ice-skating rink in Old Town Temecula is safe following Sunday’s incident in which electricity arced from a nearby power supply source, the rink’s manager said this morning.

No one was reported hurt in the incident, which forced the 50-by-70-foot rink’s closure for several hours.

Meagin Ramiro, who manages the rink for Colton-based Studio 33, said a young boy on a scooter accidentally came in contact with a rod sticking about 6 inches out of the ground. At the same time, the boy touched a city electrical box, causing electricity to arc, she said.

Ramiro, who was on site, said she immediately called 911. The boy was checked out and the rink evacuated as a precaution, she said.

Ramiro said the rod, which might have been driven through live wires, had nothing to do with the rink’s operation. The rink relies on a generator for its power, she said.

She added she offered refunds or return passes to the affected skaters. The rod has since been sawed off so it is level with the ground, she said.

“(The accident) was a complete fluke,” Ramiro said.

Story via pe.com