Archive

Posts Tagged ‘electrical wire’

TX: 3-Alarm Electrical Fire at Supply Pro warehouse

Houston, TX: A firefighter was treated for apparent heat exhaustion from a three-alarm warehouse blaze in east Houston.

The electrical fire broke out about 2:30 p.m. Thursday at Supply Pro, a company that makes oil spill cleanup products in a building along Hahlo and Old Clinton Drive. All the employees were safe and accounted for, HFD officials said.

More than 100 firefighters fought the blaze. Thick clouds of black smoke could be seen for several miles in any direction.

HFD officials instituted a five-mile radius shelter in place order around the warehouse for several hours, eventually reducing it to the immediate vicinity.

“We are monitoring the air and water at this time,” said HFD Capt. Ruy Lozano.

The Texas Commission on Environmental Quality also sent a team to the scene.

HFD arson officers are conducting an investigation of the blaze. A firefighter at the scene said it may have been started by an electrical wire falling on a bale of cotton.

Fire department officials said the warehouse contained a large quantity of polypropylene, often used in making plastic products.

Story via Firehouse.com

Advertisements

3 Workers Dead, 3 Injured in Pakistan When Tent Pole Hits Electrical Wire

November 18, 2010 Leave a comment

LAHORE, PAKISTAN – Three labourers were electrocuted while three others suffered severe shocks when an iron pole being erected for a wedding ceremony touched the live electric wires near Tajpura in Shadbagh police limits on Saturday.

Police investigators disclosed that the victims including Naveed, resident of Sialkot, Mohsin, resident of Chiniot, Munawar, resident of Begum Kot, Shujaud Din, resident of Toba Tek Singh, Mohammad Hafeez, resident of Gulshan-e-Ravi and an unidentified man were hired from Bhati Chowk by a local tent service.
While talking to TheNation, Sub-Inspector (SI) Khalid Mehmood, who visited the site, said the deceased Naveed, Mohsin and one other, yet to be identified were hired by one Malik Naeem, owner of Usman Tent Service located in Sanda, but all of the deceased were untrained in this profession.

He said the owner fully knew about their inexperienced background before he hired them after promising to pay Rs 300 per person on daily basis.

Earlier, six persons were hired by Malik Naeem from Bhati Chowk and were sent with a marriage party to make arrangements at Tajpura on Saturday morning.

“In fact, Abdul Rehman, resident of Taj-Park and a goldsmith by profession, gave contract to one Malik Naeem for the arrangements of wedding of her daughter. But Malik Naeem further awarded contract to one Mujahid who hired the said labourers, who were ignorant from the catering,” sources close to the investigators said.
They were erecting tent at Tajpura ground when a pole mistakenly touched the live electric wires, as a result of which all of them received severe shocks. A few people also witnessed the dreadful scene when these labourers were shuddering owing to electric shocks at about 11:15 am but none of them dared to rescue them, a witness said requesting not to be named. He, however, believed three people had already breathed their last when the rescue teams reached the site.
Later, Edhi ambulances and Rescue 1122 officials reached the site and shifted the injured people to a nearby hospital where their condition was told out of danger till filing of this report.

The SI Khalid Mehmood claimed to have arrested the owner of Usman Tent Service Malik Naeem and a case (920/10) had been registered against him.

The bodies of three people were removed to the City morgue for autopsy and the heirs of the deceased had also been informed about the untoward incident. Further investigation is underway.

Story via The Nation

Boy in India Loses Arms & Legs in Effort to Save Friend Being Electrocuted

November 1, 2010 Leave a comment
GURGAON, INDIA : Aayush Priyadarshi (10), a native of Samastipur in Bihar, had suffered serious injuries on both his arms and legs in his effort to save his friend from getting electrocuted.

On September 21, Aayush was flying kites with one of his friends when their kite got entangled in the 11,000-volt electric wires outside his flat.

When Aayush declined his friends request to disentangle the kite and also warned him against doing so, the upset kid tried to retrieve his kite with the help of an iron road the moment Aayush went down to drink water.

However, the iron road got him electrocuted and he was stuck to the rod. Hearing his cries for help, Aayush rushed to rescue him. While he was successful in saving his friend, he could not save himself from getting severely electric burns on his arms and legs.

Aayushs father, Anjani Kumar, rushed him to Patna where he underwent a few surgeries. But when doctors told him that his hands had got infected and needed to be amputated, Anjani brought Aayush to Medanta in Gurgaon. At the hospital, he underwent multiple surgeries under a team of doctors led by Dr Rakesh K Khazanchi, director, division of plastic, aesthetic & reconstructive surgery.

Story via Timesof India