Archive

Posts Tagged ‘England’

England: House Fire from Electrical Fault

Barming, England: Fire crews were called to a house blaze in Maidstone yesterday afternoon.

Two pumps arrived at St David’s Gate, in Barming, at about 3.30pm, to tackle the flames which had broken out in an ensuite bathroom.

Firefighters wore breathing apparatus and used a hose reel to put out fire, and a positive pressure ventilation fan was used to help minimise smoke damage to the property.

They left the scene at 4.15pm.

No one is thought to have been injured.

It’s believed the electrical fire was caused by an electrical fault and is being treated as an accident.

Story via kentonline.co.uk

England: Company Negligent in Electrical Accident

Cambridgeshire, ENGLAND:  A Cambridgeshire firm has been fined £3,500 after an employee was left unable to work for four months when he suffered an electric shock.

Tecvac pleaded guilty at Cambridge Magistrates’ Court to having neglected sufficient working safety standards.

Derek Offord, 45, was conducting a machinery operation at the company’s plant in Buckingway Business Park when he was shocked by electric volts from cables.

Mr Offord suffered gashes to parts of his arm and hands as well as burns to his left arm and knee. He remained in hospital for almost two weeks and was out of work for a further four months while his injuries healed.

An inquiry was held by the Health and Safety Executive (HSE) into the incident, which took place on 28 July last year, and it was concluded that Tecvac failed to supply a necessary safe working environment and failed to maintain a safe electrical system.

Tecvac Limited, pleaded guilty to infringement of Regulation 4 (3) of the Electricity at Work Regulations and the company was charged £3,500 with costs of £5,380.

Story via IOSH.com

For an Electrical Safety Audit  and Electrical Safety Training contact:

Martin Technical Electrical Safety Services Arc Flash

Advertisement – Click on Ad to visit Martin Technical

Kent Engineering Company Fined for Electrical Accident

October 13, 2010 Leave a comment

KENT, ENGLAND – An engineering company has been fined £20,000 over “horrific” burns caused to a construction worker when he struck an underground electrical cable on a building site.

Dwyer Engineering Services Ltd, of Swiss Cottage, North West London, will also have to pay the £14,532 costs of case.

The family business admitted contravening health and safety regulations at the site in Burial Ground Road, Tovil, Maidstone, on June 12 last year.

Maidstone Crown Court heard the company was the principal contractor for laying mains sewers for a new home for the elderly.

Bradley Marsh, 29, had only been working as a labourer on the site for four days when an electric cable was found.

He dug around it with a shovel but when he used a jack hammer to remove concrete he hit another cable next to it and was blown back.

Mr Marsh’s clothing caught fire and he suffered 62 per cent burns to his body. He was treated in hospital for 18 days.

Judge Philip Statman said he had seen photographs of the horrifying injuries the victim received. He described the profound effect it had on his quality of life.

A diagram of cables, said Judge Statman, should have been obtained from EDF Energy as a matter of urgency and safety clothing would have protected Mr Marsh from injury.

Safety measures were immediately revised and put into operation after the accident.

Story via Kentonline.co.uk