Posts Tagged ‘equipment’

Arc Flash Accident Leaves 4 Dubai Men Injured

March 15, 2012 Leave a comment

Dubai: Doctors treating the four victims in the accident that took place at Dubai International Airport’s concourse 3, said that two of them, who suffered 90 per cent burns, remain critical. One of the other workers is out of danger and the fourth is stable.

The workers were conducting a routine test of some electrical equipment when tragedy struck.

Abdul Samad Fajr Allah, 26, an electrical engineer from India, and Dev Bahadur, 33, a technician from Nepal, are battling for life.

Habib Rahman, a substation supervisor, is out of danger while Ramesh Natrajan is still not out of danger, but is stable.

Gulf News visited Rahman in hospital and found that the dressing had been removed from his face, but he is unable to speak.

A member of the specialist doctors team that is handling the case said though the two critical victims have overcome the crucial 72 hours, chances of their survival are marginal.

Only in four to five instances out of 100 such cases, victims survive and in my career spanning 12 years, I have not seen any of them survive beyond a few months. It will be miraculous if they do,” a member of the team told Gulf News on condition of anonymity.

However, he added that the condition of their hearts are stable and the organs are trying to support the body. “But the wounds are too deep, with most of the skin burnt and tissues and nerves are also mostly damaged. Even if both of them survive, restoring the damaged parts of the body would be a humungous task,” he added.

According to another source, none of the victims received an electric shock. The doctor confirmed this: “Their heart condition suggests that they were not hit by electric current. If that happens, the first thing to be affected is the heart, which is stable in this case. The severity of wounds suggests that they were hit by an extreme temperature flare.”  According to industry experts, the flare that hit the victims is most certainly the ‘Arc Flash’, which exceeds temperature of 300 degree Celsius.

Industry experts suggest that Fajr Allah, the electrical engineer, was too young and inexperienced to handle the critical testing process.

“The testing of Ring Main Unit (RMU), which exploded, is generally done by the project manager with the experience of at least 10-12 years behind him. Considering his age, this person looks to be fairly new and most probably he was not adept at handling the task but might have accepted it under pressure from his seniors,” Mohammad Mousa, an electrical engineer with work experience of more than 15 years, said.

According to sources at ETA Ascon, Fajr Allah was only a junior engineer at ETA’s power control and switchgear division.

When contacted, an official from ETA said that the case is under investigation by Dubai Civil Aviation Authority and that the company is trying to provide whatever help they can to the victims.

Story via

Free Electrical Safety Resources Martin Technical Arc Flash

Click Logo for Free Resources

Worker at Wal-Mart Electrocuted

January 8, 2011 Leave a comment


The father of a New Brunswick teenager killed while working at a Wal-Mart in Grand Falls on Jan. 6 said he wants to know exactly what happened to his son.

Police suspect that Patrick Desjardins, 17, was electrocuted while using a buffing machine to clean the floor of the store’s garage last Wednesday. Police say it appears there was an electrical defect in the cord of machine.

The teen was discovered by another staff member and rushed to the Grand Falls General Hospital, where he was pronounced dead.

Patrick’s father, Fabien Desjardins, said he refuses to call his son’s death a workplace accident and wants more information on what happened.

“We’re not calling this an accident,” Desjardins said in an interview with CBC. “If you’re driving down the road and you hit a moose, that’s an accident. If a drunk driver hits you and kills your whole family, that’s not an accident; that’s negligence.

“What happened to Patrick, as far as we’re concerned, I’m calling it negligence.”

WorkSafe NB is investigating what might have caused the teen’s death.

It’s also looking into the manner in which Wal-Mart taught its employees about risks in the workplace and how they should be handled.

Reforms sought

Desjardins said he hopes WorkSafe NB’s findings will mean changes in company policies to protect workers.

For now, he said, his son’s death should send a message to young people on the job.

“If there is any teenagers out there that is working and sees something that is not safe, report it to the manager,” Desjardins said. “And if nothing is done, you can call WorkSafe New Brunswick or tell your parents.

“Do not keep working if you think it is not safe. Stop and say, ‘I will not work with a piece of equipment, or whatever it is, until it is repaired. Trust me if you lose your job, you can fight this and get your job back because the life of a child is worth more than life itself.”

WorkSafe NB said the investigation into Patrick’s death could take three to four months.

Desjardins criticized the agency for not calling the family with the results of his son’s autopsy.

Desjardins said that when he inquired about the results, a WorkSafe NB official told him that they thought somebody else had already called.

“I said, ‘Even if there were 10 people that called us to tell us that our son had passed of electrocution before it was put on the media, it would have been better than zero calling us’.”

Desjardins was an only child who was working at the Wal-Mart to save money to pay for college because he wanted to become a forest ranger.

His father said the loss has been devastating.

“I did not only lose a son; I lost a best friend,” Desjardins said.

Update:  WorkSafeNB is now investigating, but early indications are that a faulty cord on the machine may have caused the accident.

GRAND FALLS, New Brunswick, Canada – An autopsy has confirmed a 17-year-old youth died after being electrocuted while buffing a floor during his shift at Wal-Mart. Patrick Desjardins was found in the automotive department at the store in Grand Falls on Wednesday. He was pronounced dead upon arrival at the local hospital.

A funeral for Desjardins will be held Monday in Grand Falls

Story via

Electrical Accidents and Electrical Safety are not just for Electricians.  Anyone working on or near electrical equipment at 50v or higher should have electrical safety training.

2 Electricuted in Thailand Trying to Salvage Electrical Equipment from Flood

October 30, 2010 Leave a comment

AYUTTHAYA, THAILAND – Two Ayutthayans were cross-electrocuted while trying to salvage electrical kit in a riverside kitchen 60cm-deep in water. A neighbour was also electrocuted attempting to rescue the first two victims.

Ayutthaya, 29 October 2010: All Thailand’s ethnic groups are involved in the current flooding disaster, Thai and foreign, frequently united by tragedy. In the latest incident, a Dutch resident of Ayutthaya and son were electrocuted, Oct28, attempting to salvage electrical equipment from their flooded home.

Ayutthaya, world heritage site and ancient capital of Siam, has been hit severely by flooding as the Chao Phraya River continues to swell, fed by Northern runoffs and significant dam releases upstream.

“Houses have actually started to float down the river in the location of U-thong Road,” a somewhat distraught local council official told PDN. He also told PDN the tragic tale of the Dutchman whose luck ran out.

Apparently, Mr. Haros Bussoe [39], a former Dutch navigator, married to a Thai woman, increasingly concerned that the Chao Phraya would break its banks, rushed back to his riverside house to find the kitchen 60cm-deep in water. Intent on salvaging electrical equipment increasingly threatened by the rising water, Mr. Bussoe plunged into the knee-deep flood. He got an electric shock from one of the appliances and as his adopted son, Siriwit Thongsari [15], grabbed his arm, attempting a rescue him, he, too, was electrocuted.

“Mr. Bussoe died from being electrocuted in water, whilst the son was severely injured from the same cause,” Police spokesman Ayutthya Police Deputy Superintendent, Pol.Lt.Col Phicha Rujinam, told reporters.

“And then,” he continued, “Mr. Bussoe’s wife, finding her husband and son lying comatose, called for help from the neighbours. Unfortunately, neighbour Wisit Meesaeng [30] also suffered electrocution when he attempted to extract Messrs Bussoe and Thongsari from the water-filled kitchen.”

Fortunately, another neighbour had the presence of mind to cut the electricity at the main junction box and no more electrocutions occurred. The injured trio were then rescued from the waterlogged kitchen and rushed to Ayutthaya hospital for emergency treatment. Sadly, Mr. Bussoe was d.o.i – dead on arrival, but the other two are recovering.

Story via

Igloo Products Faces $113K in Fines from OSHA Including Electrical Safety Violations

October 21, 2010 Leave a comment

KATY, TEXAS – A company in Katy is facing more than $113,000 in federal penalties for allegation of unsafe working conditions, authorities said.

The investigation by the Occupational Safety and Health Administration began May 27 when employees at Igloo Products Corp. complained they were exposed to safety hazards while servicing machines at the company.

OSHA officials said the company didn’t provide eye protection or adequate safety shower stations for employees. They also failed to close electrical panel covers, provide clean and dry walkways and stairway, among other violations.

The company also failed to maintain power tools and adequately label electrical equipment.

The company has 15 days to comply with the requirements, contest the ruling or request a conference with OSHA officials in Houston.

Story via