Archive

Posts Tagged ‘explosion’

Substation Explosion Injures Two UK Men

January 5, 2012 Leave a comment

Two security guards are in a critical condition in hospital after they were seriously injured in an explosion at an ex-colliery.

The two men, aged 38 and 26, suffered serious facial burns in the blast at the former Welbeck Colliery site, near Meden Vale, in Nottinghamshire on Saturday.

They have not yet been identified but are being treated in the Queen’s Medical Centre, Nottingham, where they are both said to be in a critical but stable condition.

A spokesman for Nottinghamshire Police said: “It is understood that the men were working at the site as security personnel.”

He added: “Detectives are liaising with the site owners, UK Coal, with the fire service and the Health and Safety Executive (HSE) to determine the sequence of events leading up to the incident.”

The explosion was reported at around 7.30pm on Saturday and involved an electrical sub-station above the ground.

A spokeswoman for Nottinghamshire Fire and Rescue Service said the explosion was from an electrical component in the 40m x 30m single-storey building. She added: “The fire itself was very small. The main issue was the explosion itself and the two people injured. Investigations are ongoing.”

A spokesman for UK Coal said it is thought the two security guards were the only people on site at the time of the explosion and they called the emergency services in the aftermath of the blast.

A statement from UK Coal said: “There has been no mining at the colliery since it was closed in May 2010, following which all of the underground shafts and workings have been sealed and closed. The electricity substation is situated on the surface and supplies both the site and surrounding area when required.

“The two injured men were not UK Coal employees, but were contracted to be working as security guards on the site. UK Coal continues to help the police and HSE investigations.”

Story Via The Press Association

Advertisements

Electrical Failure on Queen Mary 2 Causes Explosion & Blackout

December 3, 2010 Leave a comment

SOUTHAMPTON, UK – An electrical failure which caused an explosion and a blackout on the Cunard liner Queen Mary 2 was described today by marine accident investigators.

One of the capacitors – an energy-storing container – in a compartment within a switchboard room failed as the 151,000-tonne Southampton-based vessel was approaching Barcelona, a report by the Marine Accident Investigation Branch (MAIB) said.

There was a loud explosion and extensive damage to the surrounding electric panels and the vessel blacked out.

A steel cover plate was blown out into the main switchboard room but ”fortunately there were no personnel in the vicinity” the MAIB said.

Story via DailyEcho.co.uk

LaFarge Fined After Electrical Explosion Accident

November 11, 2010 1 comment

ESSEX, UNITED KINGDOM – Basildon Crown Court yesterday heard that on 10 October 2008, Paul Ridings, 39, had been investigating a fault with an energy meter when he inadvertently disturbed a loose connection.  A strand of wire became exposed leading to an electrical explosion.

Mr Ridings’ clothes caught fire and he sustained burns to his face, neck, chest, arms and hands. He received emergency treatment and spent 19 days in the Specialist Burns Unit at Broomfield Hospital. Since the incident he has undergone numerous skin grafts and operations to remove scar tissue.

An investigation by the Health and Safety Executive found that Lafarge Cement UK Plc of Granite Way, Syston, Leicester failed to ensure electrical systems were maintained in such a way as to protect workers.

The company admitted breaching sections 2(1) and 3(1) of the Health and Safety at Work etc. Act 1974. It was fined £130,000 and ordered to pay costs of £29,742.

HSE inspector David King said: “Every year approximately 20 people die from electrical shocks or burns following incidents at work. Mr Ridings could easily have been killed in this incident.

“It’s clear that in this case the overall arrangements for maintaining electrical assets were inadequate and the health and safety of both staff and contractors were put at risk.

“HSE will proactively prosecute any company exposing workers to these unnecessary risks.”

Story via cnplus.co.uk

San Bruno Families Suing PG&E for Electrical Failure that Lead to Gas Line Explosion

October 20, 2010 Leave a comment

SAN BRUNO, CALIFORNIA – Families affected by a deadly gas explosion in San Bruno, Calif., filed lawsuits against utility company PG&E, saying the company knew a pipeline was faulty.

A natural gas pipeline burst Sept. 9, sparking a massive fireball that ripped through a San Bruno neighborhood. The explosion killed seven people and destroyed 37 homes.

The U.S. National Transportation Safety Board in a preliminary report found an electrical failure at a Pacific Gas and Electric Co. facility caused a pressure surge in the pipeline just before the San Bruno explosion. The report added that it took more than five hours for the company to shut off the gas after the explosion.

The lawsuits say PG&E knew the pipeline was “defective,” the San Jose (Calif.) Mercury News reports. PG&E in its internal document said a section of the pipeline, Line 132, a few miles from the site of the explosion was at risk of failure, the newspaper adds.

The five lawsuits are calling for unspecified damages and call on the company to remove the idled pipeline from their neighborhood, a request backed by San Bruno Mayor Jim Ruane.

“We want our neighborhood rebuilt, and we want our people back,” the mayor was quoted as saying.

Story via UPI.com

Quality Inn in WV Closed Due to Electrical Fire & Explosion

October 19, 2010 Leave a comment

HARPERS FERRY, WEST VIRGINIA — A stubborn fire in an electrical junction box in a utility room at the Quality Inn outside Harpers Ferry will keep parts of the facility closed for at least a day until repairs can be made, Scott Biller, assistant chief of the Friendship Fire Department, said Tuesday.

There were no injuries as a result of the fire. As many as 20 employees and hotel guests were evacuated from the hotel/restaurant on U.S. 340 south of Harpers Ferry.

Firefighters tried unsuccessfully twice to put out the flames with dry powder. They gave up because the current continued to arc violently, Biller said. He pulled his crew away from the fire scene moments before an explosion rocked the utility room.

Firefighters waited until a crew from Allegheny Power arrived to cut the main power supply before the flames could be doused, Biller said.

Additional units were called in as a precaution, he said.

No damage estimate was given.

Story via The Herald-Mail

Morristown NJ Library Severely Damaged in Electrical Explosion

MORRISTOWN, NEW JERSEY – An underground electrical accident and explosion at the Morristown & Township Library was so severe that the blast buckled concrete, shattered windows and blew out doors. 

“If any human being had been in the path of the force of this explosion, it’s fair to say they would have been killed,” said town Administrator Michael Rogers after touring the library basement today.

Jersey Central Power & Light has acknowledged a malfunction called a “cable fault” occurred beneath a manhole on Miller Road, near the library’s 1917 wing that sustained heavy damage. But spokesman Ron Morano said this damage “was not consistent with what one sees in a cable fault.”

He declined to elaborate. But he said the utility plans to tap outside experts for help with its investigation, which so far has been slowed because crews have not been allowed inside the library.

Mayor Tim Dougherty, meanwhile, may ask the state Board of Public Utilities to take a look at JCP&L, said Michael Rogers, the administrator. Morristown has a long history of exploding manholes and underground fires.

“We are losing patience” with JCP&L, the administrator said. “We need answers. Tough questions will be coming their way. They have some explaining to do.”

Story Via NJ.com