Archive

Posts Tagged ‘fatality’

CA: California Construction Worker Dies After Accidental Electrocution

July 24, 2014 Leave a comment

Mission Viejo, CA – A construction worker was electrocuted and a second worker hospitalized after coming into contact with exposed electrical wires during a job at Mission Viejo High School.

The incident was reported around 3:15 p.m. near the football practice field located on Chrisanta Drive, said Chris Concepion with the Orange County Fire Authority.

The men, both in their 20s, were erecting a scaffold when they came into contact with the electrical wire, Concepion said.The incident was reported around 3:15 p.m. near the football practice field located on Chrisanta Drive, said Chris Concepion with the Orange County Fire Authority.

One of the men was electrocuted and died at the scene. When the second man realized what was happening he tried to perform CPR on his co-worker, Steve Concialdi with OCFA said.

But when the worker stood up he also struck the power lines, Concialdi said.

The good Samaritan received a serious electrical shock and was transported to the hospital in critical condition, Concialdi said.

His condition was later upgraded to serious.

CAL OSHA was at the scene investigating.

No further information about the victims was released.

Louisiana: Worker Killed in Louisiana Electrical Accident

February 17, 2014 Leave a comment

Benton, LA: The Occupational Health and Safety Administration is now investigating the electrical accident that injured two men and killed one on the grounds of a Bossier Parish park.

The man fatally injured in an electrical accident Thursday morning in Benton has been identified as 34-year-old Brandon Beaver of Shreveport.

According to the Bossier Parish Sheriff’s Office, Beaver was one of 3 men injured while working on a ground-level transformer Thursday morning at Cypress Black Bayou Park.

Lt. Bill Davis says the men were taken to local hospitals shortly after rescuers were called around 11:30 a.m. Thursday for a report of a possible electrocution at the park.

As additional details begin to emerge, it appears that there had been some electrical issues at the park. 2 contractors were working on it when park director Robert Berry happened to walk by and realize they were in distress.

According to park office personnel, the contractors had been gripped by the current flowing from a live power line through their bodies. Berry reportedly shoulder-checked them from the line, injuring himself in the process.

911 was called, and a park staffer attempted CPR on the victims. Their names have not been released.

1 of the contractors was taken to University Health, his injuries are considered non life-threatening. Beaver and another were taken to Willis Knighton North. Initially KSLA News 12 was told by the Bossier Sheriff’s Office that Beaver was rushed to University Health but that detail has since been retracted.

Bossier Sheriff’s investigators say they have deemed the incident a tragic accident.

OSHA arrived at the park around 1 o’clock Friday afternoon. Juan Rodriguez with OSHA’s public affairs office says investigators with OSHA will interview witnesses and employees, and look for any OSHA violations at the area where the accident happened.

Story Via: www.ksla.com

 

India: Electrical Accident Deaths Continue to Rise

February 17, 2014 Leave a comment

Bangalore, India: Even as Mangalore Electricity Supply Company (Mescom) winds up its one-week awareness programme, it is confronted with an ever-increasing number of fatalities, due to electrocution. The latest being the death of a farmer who touched a faulty fuse on his pumpset near Vittal on Wednesday.

Between April and December, 52 persons, including one official, died in electrical accidents involving Mescom connections. By sheer extrapolation, the financial year 2013-14 will record the most accidents for the public utility company – which serves Dakshina Kannada, Udupi, Shimoga and Chikmagalur – in the recent years.

Reasons

Officials offer a bevy of reasons, the prime being sagging wires, bent poles – either due to trees or branches falling during the monsoons, or damage to poles during ploughing or construction work – improper grounding due to stagnating water, illegal construction close to electric lines and illegal irrigation pumpsets among others.

Employee deaths are attributed to “overconfidence” in not creating a ‘safe zone’ while repairing live wires, or “procedural lapses” arising due to pressures of attending numerous complaints during the monsoons.

“During the rains, the porcelain insulators may develop hairline cracks, and as water seeps in, the insulators conduct electricity. If the lineman, who has to climb up each pole and see the insulators, is not observant, he may end up touching a live insulator,” said an official. A rainy night may see a team of linemen attending four to five calls, adding to the possibility of procedural lapses, he said.

Though at least two linemen have died in service in the district, since April last year, they do not feature in official records of Mescom personnel dead in the district – the number remains zero. The reason being, said officials, that linemen on contract are not considered “employees of Mescom”.

“For the regular linemen they get facilities of rehabilitation from Mescom. For the contract workers, you have to haggle with the contractor for additional funds,” said Shivkumar, president of the Mescom non-permanent workers association.

Story Via: thehindu.com

New York: $147K Settelment for Electrocution Death

January 24, 2014 1 comment

Brooklyn, NY: A  telecommunications company has reached a settlement with OSHA resolving  litigation surrounding the electrocution death of an employee in 2011 in  Brooklyn. Under the agreement, the company will pay a fine of $147,000 and make  changes to its electrical safety training.

OSHA  Regional Administrator Robert Kulick commented, “While no settlement can bring  this worker back to his family, co-workers, and friends, this agreement can help  prevent similar and needless tragedies in the future.”

The  fatality occurred when a field technician came into contact with an energized  power line as he worked from an aerial lift bucket. OSHA determined that field  technicians were not adequately trained, did not wear proper protective gloves,  and did not ground the suspension strand they were installing.

The  settlement was filed with the Occupational Safety and Health Review Commission,  which reviews contested cases.

Story Via: safety.blr.com

Visit Martin Technical for Arc Flash Analysis.

Martin Technical Electrical Safety Services Arc Flash

Advertisement – Click on Ad to visit Martin Technical

Africa: Mother and Son Electrocuted

Osun, Africa: A mother and her son have been electrocuted in Osogbo, the Osun State capital, the police have said.

The Osun State Police Command said the electrocution happened after a rainstorm in Osogbo.

Story via premiumtimesng.com

WV: Worker Electrocuted at Lunch

March 29, 2013 Leave a comment

MINGO COUNTY, WV:  The name of a logger who was electrocuted has been released.

The Mingo County Sheriff’s Office tells WSAZ.com that Elbert Allen Hinkle, 27, of Beech Creek, was electrocuted around noon Tuesday in the Newtown area.

Investigators tell WSAZ.com that Hinkle was on his lunch break and was electrocuted in an un-work related incident.

Hinkle was an employee with C&A Timber Company.

Story via wsaz.com

AZ: Copper Thief Electrocuted

March 29, 2013 Leave a comment

Phoenix, AZ: A man was electrocuted and killed in Glendale in an apparent commercial copper theft gone wrong.

Glendale Police report a 57-year old man was found with third degree burns on 100 percent of his body at an abandoned commercial yard.

Police suspect the man was trying to steal copper out of a transformer and met his demise. His fatal efforts also knocked out power to 1,400 residential and business customers for about an hour, according to authorities.

Copper thefts are a big problem for commercial property owners, businesses and even schools and churches targeted by thieves.

Story via bizjournals.com