Archive

Posts Tagged ‘firefighter’

New York: Subcontractor Suffers Burn From Arc Flash

February 26, 2014 Leave a comment

Rochester, NY: A man was injured from an electrical explosion at Advanced Glass Industries Inc. on Emerson Street just before 11:30 a.m. Thursday.

Rural Metro Ambulance Services reported that the man, 57, was taken with flash burn to Strong Memorial Hospital after the explosion, which occurred at 1335 Emerson St. He received burns to 25 percent of his body, mainly to his face, hands and arms, according to Capt. Joseph Luna of the Rochester Fire Department.

The man was a subcontractor who had been hired by the business to do electrical maintenance work, said Rochester Fire Department Battalion Chief Dan Mancuso. He said an arc flash, or an exposed current between two conductors, caused the injury.

Advanced Glass Industries is one of the world’s largest suppliers of precision machined optical glass blanks, molded optical glass blanks and slumped optical glass blanks, according to the company’s web site. The company was founded just after World War II as Fischer Optical, according to the website.

Story Via: www.democratandchronicle.com

Advertisements

CT: Electrical Fire at Elementary School

March 21, 2013 Leave a comment

Stratford, CT: At 6 p.m. Monday the 911 center received a 911 call and subsequent automatic fire alarm from Chapel Street Elementary School located at 3 Chapel St. in the town’s North End.

Operators of the ABC aftercare program who were working at the school were alerted by a parent that a light fixture hanging from the cathedral ceiling in the schools all-purpose room was on fire.

The school was evacuated and upon arrival firefighters found a moderate smoke condition in the affected area and a pile of melted plastic on the gym floor. Firefighters used water extinguishers to extinguish the remains of the light fixture. Firefighters used high volume smoke ejectors to remove the remaining smoke from structure.

There were no reported injuries of civilians or firefighters. The town’s fire marshal Deputy Chief Brian Lampart was summoned to the scene to investigate the cause of the late-day electrical fire.

The cause was determined to be caused by a malfunctioning fluorescent light fixture. As a future precaution Deputy Chief Lampart will be ordering the school district to replace the remaining light fixtures with a different model unit.

Four engines, one ladder, the assistant chief/shift commander and two deputy chiefs responded to the incident for a total of 25 personnel. The emergency call was dispatched at 6 p.m., the first arriving apparatus arrived at 6:03 p.m., the fire was under control at 6:15 p.m., and the last fire unit cleared the scene at 7:03 p.m. The school was expected to open on Tuesday at the normal time.

Story via stratfordpatch.com

WA: Firefighters save home from Electrical Fire

March 21, 2013 Leave a comment

Snoqualmie, WA:  A quick response by the Carnation Fire Department Thursday, March 14, saved a home in the 5900 block of 322nd Avenue Northeast.

The electrical fire, reported at 8:38 a.m., appeared to start in the fuse box on the dryer, when a resident of the home was doing laundry, said King County Fire Investigator Todd Legg.

Reportedly, the resident had just started the dryer when she heard sparking, Legg said, and she found flames coming from the electrical panel. From the dryer, the fire spread to the home’s meter box, but the damage was quickly contained.

“The response from the fire department was two minutes,” Legg said.

Eastside Fire and Rescue reported that all occupants of the home were safely evacuated and no injuries were reported. There was some smoke in the home.

Firefighters left the scene around 10 a.m., and the fire investigation has been concluded.

Story via valleyrecord.com

CT: Pizza Shop Burns from Faulty Electrical Wiring

March 12, 2013 Leave a comment

NEW HAVEN, CT:  An electrical fire caused some interior damage at More Than Pizza in New Haven.

More Than Pizza on Blake Street sustained some interior damage Tuesday afternoon.

The shop will be closed for a few days while they clean up and fix the wiring, which caused the fire.

Everyone got out safely.

Fire crews are clearing the scene.

Story via wtnh.com

England: House Fire from Electrical Fault

Barming, England: Fire crews were called to a house blaze in Maidstone yesterday afternoon.

Two pumps arrived at St David’s Gate, in Barming, at about 3.30pm, to tackle the flames which had broken out in an ensuite bathroom.

Firefighters wore breathing apparatus and used a hose reel to put out fire, and a positive pressure ventilation fan was used to help minimise smoke damage to the property.

They left the scene at 4.15pm.

No one is thought to have been injured.

It’s believed the electrical fire was caused by an electrical fault and is being treated as an accident.

Story via kentonline.co.uk

MA: Blizzard Damages Electrical System – Home Burns

February 18, 2013 Leave a comment
MARSHFIELD, MA: The home at the corner of Circuit and Ames avenues in Marshfield has hosted a neighborhood clambake on Labor Day weekend for more than 30 years. But that tradition is now in jeopardy because of the Blizzard of 2013.

“It’s really devastating,” neighbor Charlie Pesko said. “It was in pristine condition, a beautiful place.”

The summer home at 10 Ames Ave. near Rexhame Beach was gutted by a three-alarm electrical fire Wednesday afternoon. No one was injured.

Marshfield Fire Chief Kevin Robinson said the blaze was a result of damage to the home’s electrical service, a casualty of last week’s blizzard. Since the storm struck last Friday, firefighters in hard-hit communities have responded to a variety of emergencies, including rescues, fires, carbon monoxide scares and medical calls.

 

On Tuesday, homes on Oceanside Drive in Scituate and Avon Street in Marshfield caught fire when their power was restored. There were no injuries in either fire. In Marshfield alone, there have been five electrical fires since last Friday, Robinson said.Robinson said Wednesday’s fire started at the electric meter outside the rear side of the home, climbing quickly up the wooden frame into the attic. He said the attic and second floor were destroyed, and the home may need to be torn down.

Some Rexhame residents who had been without electricity since the weekend said their homes regained power at about the same time the fire started, about 2:45 p.m. Wednesday.  “A surge could have done it,” Robinson said. “If there was damage to the electrical service, and one is energized, that could have caused the fire as well. We’re still investigating that at this point.”

Firefighters from Marshfield, Duxbury, Pembroke, Hanover, Norwell and Scituate responded to the fire, which was extinguished shortly after 4 p.m. Part of the roof collapsed, and the first floor was damaged by water from fire hoses.  Jonathan and Connie Smith, the homeowners, watched from the lawn as firefighters tore through walls to make sure the fire was out. The couple, who live in Wellesley during the winter, raised their two sons in the home, which was built in the 1880s.

Jonathan Smith said the home has been owned by his family since 1945.  “Tragic,” he said.  “The saddest,” Connie added.  Connie watched as firefighters carried pieces of salvageable furniture from the charred home into the barn next door.  “It was the furniture that came with the house in the 1800s. That’s how old it is,” she said. “It’s some beautiful old wicker. It was here when the house was first built.”

Charlie Pesko, who lives on nearby Kent Avenue, shook Jonathan’s hand, kissed Connie on the cheek and told the couple he’s available if they need any help. Pesko said the Smiths are very popular among the locals.

“They get the whole neighborhood here on Labor Day for a good ol’ New England clambake and lobsters,” Pesko said. “They do the whole thing. They mastermind the whole thing.”

Story via patriotledger.com

UT: New Years Costco Electrical Fire Causes $2,000,000 in Damages

January 3, 2013 Leave a comment

American Fork, UT: An electrical  fire, possibly started by a malfunctioning heater, caused an estimated $2 million in damage to Costco on New Year’s Day.

The store is closed for cleanup. On Wednesday two full-time employees stood in front of the store letting Costco members, who were arriving continuously, know of the closure. “It was just a small electrical fire and we are doing some water clean up,” C.D. Fackrell, Costco Lehi manager, said. “We are really pushing to be open by Friday.”

Most of the damage was caused by water and smoke. The fire started at about 9:45 p.m. and since it was a holiday, no one was at the store to notice it. The fire began in the merchandise section of the store near the southernmost major corridor running east-west.

Firefighters were alerted at about 10:30 p.m. “We saw the water flow alarm and with water flowing we knew something was going on,” Lehi Fire Battalion Chief Rick Howard said. “We got there and the whole building was full of smoke.”

The Provo Fire Department was called to help disperse the smoke, which lessened the smoke damage. Provo firefighters brought in their large truck fan to blow smoke out of the building. Ceiling vents also were opened to get rid of the smoke.

But they couldn’t get it out quickly enough to save merchandise. “You can’t sell stinky clothes and stinky fruit,” Howard said.

By Wednesday afternoon, firefighters were looking at the damage to ascertain the cause of the fire. Employees were arriving for their Costco shifts but instead of serving members they were helping with cleanup.

“When we have situations like this Costco is really good at taking care of business,” Fackrell said. “We rally the troops, get it cleaned up and get ready for business.”

Story via heraldextra.com