Archive

Posts Tagged ‘fl’

FL: Employers Responsible for Electrocutions

March 12, 2013 Leave a comment

Fort Meyers Beach, FL: About five months after the deaths of two maintenance workers on Fort Myers Beach, their employers have received safety citations that could cost them thousands of dollars.

Juan Bocanegra, 37, of Fort Myers, and Dustin Manning, 30, of Bradenton, were electrocuted in September when the basket of a cherry picker they were standing in struck a power line. The men were hired to remove molding damaged by woodpeckers at Bella Lago condos, off Bay Beach Road on Fort Myers Beach.

On Feb. 25, the Occupational Safety and Health Administration (OSHA) found the two companies that employed the victims to be in violation of several safety policies, according to citations sent out by the organization.

OSHA recommended J Baller Construction, a Fort Myers-based company that employed Bocanegra, pay $11,900 for four violations. According OSHA’s citation, J Baller did not provide its employees accident prevention training, it did not train the aerial lift operator in the hazards of working near energized power lines, and it allowed employees to work in proximity to power lines. OSHA also found Bocanegra was not wearing a safety belt at the time of the accident.

OSHA recommended a $5,600 fine for Cutting Edge Molding, a Sarasota-based company, because Manning was not wearing a safety belt and the company did not instruct its employees in the importance of using fall protection equipment.

Both companies have contested the proposed violations and will have a hearing before the OSHA review commission, according to spokesman Michael D’Aquino.

OSHA citations give recipients the right to contest violations within 15 working days of notification.

Story via news-press.com

Advertisements

FL: Extension Cord Fire Causes $30K in Damages

January 2, 2013 Leave a comment

Palm Bay, FL: An overheated extension cord started an electrical fire that caused about $30,000 damage to a Palm Bay home early today.  The fire apparently began about 6:30 a.m. near a space heater behind an old couch in the home at 1326 Cherry Hills Road NE, according to Palm Bay Fire Rescue Assistant Fire Marshal Ronald Bailey.  Smoke alarms alerted the residents who evacuated without injury, Palm Bay officials said. Firefighters quickly stopped the blaze, containing the fire in the master bedroom though smoke damaged other parts of the home.  Bailey said the extension cord being used was too small and overheated, catching the sofa on fire.

The Red Cross was called to assist the family.  As temperatures briefly dip across Central Florida, officials remind residents to be careful with portable heaters. According to the National Fire Protection Association, heaters are one of the leading causes of fatal house fires.

To prevent fires, residents should:  Keep a three-foot area around a heater clear of combustibles and other items;  don’t use ovens as a home heating source turn portable heaters off when leaving a room or going to bed always use correct fuel, and follow directions on a heater;  test smoke alarms.

Story via floridatoday.com

Power Line Shocks Electrical Worker in FL

January 5, 2012 Leave a comment

Fiarhope, FL- Fairhope officials say Greg McCoy, and employee with the city of Fairhope Electrical Department, was injured.

They say it was the result of a shock caused by electrical contact. McCoy was performing work on a power line located on South Section Street at Morphy Avenue when the accident occurred.

He was taken to USA Medical Center in Mobile by Life-Flight helicopter.

Scott Sligh, Superintendent of the Electric Department, stated that Mr. McCoy was wearing all required safety equipment at the time. He also said the exact circumstances that led to the accident are under investigation.

Sligh said that Mr. McCoy was in an elevated aerial lift working on the power line when the electrical contact occurred and credits other electric department employees with saving McCoy.

Benjamin Patterson and Douglas Brown, employed with the electric department, were present at the work site and brought Mr. McCoy down safely, sought medical treatment, and are credited with saving his life.

A power outage occurred as a result of the accident, affecting wide-spread areas of Fairhope, but electrical service has been restored.

Story via Fox10TV.com

Arc Flash in FL Injures Electrician

December 16, 2011 Leave a comment

NAPLES, FL — An electrician is being treated at the hospital after suffering extensive burns during an electrical explosion at a Naples resort.  The explosion was most likely the result of an arc flash.

The Naples Daily News reports 24 hotel guests and 20 employees were evacuated from the Naples Bay Resort Thursday morning.

Fire rescue says the electrician was working in the second floor meter room when an electrical fault occurred, producing a fireball that severely burned his face and right side of his body. He was treated at the scene by firefighters before being taken to the hospital.

Story via OrlandoSentinnel.com

 

Free Electrical Safety Resources Martin Technical Arc Flash

Click Logo for Free Resources

 

Electrician Injured at Page Field Airport

January 22, 2011 Leave a comment

Fort Meyers, FL – One person has been transported to Lee Memorial Hospital following an electrical accident at Page Field Airport in Fort Myers.

Patrick Conran, spokesman for general contractor Owen-Ames-Kimball, said there was an electrical accident and an injury to one of the company’s electricians, but Conran didn’t yet know what happened.

 He said he was on his way to Page Field to get more information on the incident.

Story via News-Press.com

Martin Technical Electrical Safety Service

Advertisement - Click on Ad to visit Martin Technical

Woman Shocked by Overhead Electrical Wires

January 8, 2011 Leave a comment

Venice, Florida – Sarasota Sheriff’s deputies and Fire/Rescue responded to Sea Grape Road in Venice to investigate a report of an electrical wire contact injury.

Upon arrival, they found 22-year-old Rachel Hinkle and began CPR.

The power to the associated neighborhood grid was shut down to facilitate treatment.

A preliminary investigation indicates Hinkle was erecting a structure that touched the overhead electrical wires and caused the contact injury.

Investigators from the Sheriff’s Office responded. Florida Power and Light will also investigate this incident.

Hinkle was taken to Venice Regional Medical Center in serious condition.

The power was restored to most of the neighborhood. Per FPL, an estimated 16-18 homes will be without power until the line is repaired.

Anyone with information about this incident may contact the Sheriff’s Office Criminal Investigations Section at 861-4900.

Story via WTSP.com