Posts Tagged ‘Grow House’

MI: Marijuana Grow House Electrical Fire

November 19, 2012 Leave a comment

ALLEN PARK, MI: An electrical issue in the attic of a house caused what the Fire Department called an “interesting” electrical fire in the 5800 block of Balfour Avenue near Van Born at about 3:30 p.m. Sunday.  Fire Chief Douglas LaFond said the blaze appears to have started in the attic where a second electrical breaker box was wired in above the original.  “There is no way that it was done by a professional electrician,” he said. “The wiring was amazing. There was so much extra electrical lines run that went right to grow rooms.”  While clearing the house the firefighters discovered two locked rooms that turned out to contain marijuana plants. Both occupants of the house had Michigan medical marijuana cards. The house is a rental.  “We notified the police right away,” LaFond said. “They checked everything out, and cleared both of them. Apparently everything was within the law.”

LaFond said he had been in contact with the landlord, who did not know the house was being used as a growing facility.  “I talked with him this morning,” the chief said. “I had to notify him of the fire and the damage.” LaFond said because the fire was in the attic, firefighters had to cut into the roof in several areas to get to it.  The department cleared the scene at about 6:30 p.m. No one was injured.  The department also had an “interesting” call to the Allen Park Public Library on Thursday to help a man who went into cardiac arrest.  Paramedics were called to the library at about 1:30 on a report of a “man down,” according to LaFond. When they arrived they found a 44-year-old man in distress.  “My guys were able to revive him on the way to the hospital to regain a pulse,” he said.  The man was transported to Oakwood Hospital and Medical Center in Dearborn. His condition is unknown.

Story via