Archive

Posts Tagged ‘Health and Safety’

Electrical Control Panel Crushes Worker in Wales

November 28, 2011 Leave a comment

Ebbw Vale, Wales – Nov 25, 2011 – A family could seek personal injury compensation after a man died in a fatal accident at work.

Gareth Young passed away in August 2009 when an electrical control cabinet weighing around half a tonne fell on top of him while he worked for Moulded Paper at an industrial estate in Ebbw Vale.

The 60-year-old was crushed by the object as he attempted to remove sheet metal from it for re-use and apparently did not know it was unsecured as it lent against a wall at the premises.

An investigation by the Health and Safety Executive (HSE) found that IMCO Limited – trading as Moulded Paper – had not taken sufficient precautions to ensure the health and safety of its employees.

Trevor Hay, inspector of the HSE, observed: “A competent risk assessment would have revealed the instability of the electrical control cabinet that fell on Mr Young.”

Recently, Terence Gardiner died when his neck was crushed in a piece of machinery while working for HG Gladwell and Sons near Ipswich.

Story via Russell, Jones & Walker

Electrical Control Panels Should be Securely Fastened to the Wall.  Perform Electrical Safety Audits to increase the safety of your workplace.

Martin Technical Electrical Safety Service

Advertisement - Click on Ad to visit Martin Technical

LaFarge Fined After Electrical Explosion Accident

November 11, 2010 1 comment

ESSEX, UNITED KINGDOM – Basildon Crown Court yesterday heard that on 10 October 2008, Paul Ridings, 39, had been investigating a fault with an energy meter when he inadvertently disturbed a loose connection.  A strand of wire became exposed leading to an electrical explosion.

Mr Ridings’ clothes caught fire and he sustained burns to his face, neck, chest, arms and hands. He received emergency treatment and spent 19 days in the Specialist Burns Unit at Broomfield Hospital. Since the incident he has undergone numerous skin grafts and operations to remove scar tissue.

An investigation by the Health and Safety Executive found that Lafarge Cement UK Plc of Granite Way, Syston, Leicester failed to ensure electrical systems were maintained in such a way as to protect workers.

The company admitted breaching sections 2(1) and 3(1) of the Health and Safety at Work etc. Act 1974. It was fined £130,000 and ordered to pay costs of £29,742.

HSE inspector David King said: “Every year approximately 20 people die from electrical shocks or burns following incidents at work. Mr Ridings could easily have been killed in this incident.

“It’s clear that in this case the overall arrangements for maintaining electrical assets were inadequate and the health and safety of both staff and contractors were put at risk.

“HSE will proactively prosecute any company exposing workers to these unnecessary risks.”

Story via cnplus.co.uk