Archive

Posts Tagged ‘HSE’

England: Company Negligent in Electrical Accident

Cambridgeshire, ENGLAND:  A Cambridgeshire firm has been fined £3,500 after an employee was left unable to work for four months when he suffered an electric shock.

Tecvac pleaded guilty at Cambridge Magistrates’ Court to having neglected sufficient working safety standards.

Derek Offord, 45, was conducting a machinery operation at the company’s plant in Buckingway Business Park when he was shocked by electric volts from cables.

Mr Offord suffered gashes to parts of his arm and hands as well as burns to his left arm and knee. He remained in hospital for almost two weeks and was out of work for a further four months while his injuries healed.

An inquiry was held by the Health and Safety Executive (HSE) into the incident, which took place on 28 July last year, and it was concluded that Tecvac failed to supply a necessary safe working environment and failed to maintain a safe electrical system.

Tecvac Limited, pleaded guilty to infringement of Regulation 4 (3) of the Electricity at Work Regulations and the company was charged £3,500 with costs of £5,380.

Story via IOSH.com

For an Electrical Safety Audit  and Electrical Safety Training contact:

Martin Technical Electrical Safety Services Arc Flash

Advertisement – Click on Ad to visit Martin Technical

Advertisements

Company Fined When Worker is Shocked

March 14, 2012 Leave a comment

United Kingdom –  A company has been fined after a worker suffered an electric shock at work.

Krzysztof Jabczanik was working at the site of a storage company when the accident happened in August 2010. He was undertaking maintenance work to repair an external flood light.

However, Mr Jabczanik suffered a serious electric shock injury from a junction box unit. He was rushed to hospital, and placed in an induced coma. He was left with serious burn injuries to his left hand, and also suffered from memory loss from the electric shock.

The Health and Safety Executive investigated the accident and found numerous errors in what should have been a routine job. The accident was caused because the cover to the junction box had been removed before the electricity supply had been isolated.

The HSE prosecuted Mr Jabczanik’s employers (Fras Contractors Ltd) and its managing director (Adam Fras). They found that Mr Fras – who is a registered electrical engineer and was supervising the work – did not do enough to protect his worker from harm.

He pleaded guilty last week to breaking Electricity at Work Regulations and was fined £1,000. Fras Contractors Ltd were fined £1,500 for unsafe use of a ladder in regards to the accident.

Substation Explosion Injures Two UK Men

January 5, 2012 Leave a comment

Two security guards are in a critical condition in hospital after they were seriously injured in an explosion at an ex-colliery.

The two men, aged 38 and 26, suffered serious facial burns in the blast at the former Welbeck Colliery site, near Meden Vale, in Nottinghamshire on Saturday.

They have not yet been identified but are being treated in the Queen’s Medical Centre, Nottingham, where they are both said to be in a critical but stable condition.

A spokesman for Nottinghamshire Police said: “It is understood that the men were working at the site as security personnel.”

He added: “Detectives are liaising with the site owners, UK Coal, with the fire service and the Health and Safety Executive (HSE) to determine the sequence of events leading up to the incident.”

The explosion was reported at around 7.30pm on Saturday and involved an electrical sub-station above the ground.

A spokeswoman for Nottinghamshire Fire and Rescue Service said the explosion was from an electrical component in the 40m x 30m single-storey building. She added: “The fire itself was very small. The main issue was the explosion itself and the two people injured. Investigations are ongoing.”

A spokesman for UK Coal said it is thought the two security guards were the only people on site at the time of the explosion and they called the emergency services in the aftermath of the blast.

A statement from UK Coal said: “There has been no mining at the colliery since it was closed in May 2010, following which all of the underground shafts and workings have been sealed and closed. The electricity substation is situated on the surface and supplies both the site and surrounding area when required.

“The two injured men were not UK Coal employees, but were contracted to be working as security guards on the site. UK Coal continues to help the police and HSE investigations.”

Story Via The Press Association

HSE Fines Construction Firm For Not Following Electrical Work Regulations

January 5, 2012 Leave a comment

United Kingdom – A man suffered a serious electrical shock after cutting into cable in an accident at a building site.

The unnamed man worked for Wain Homes (North West) Ltd at the time of the incident in November 2010. The firm was building a group of new houses and refurbishing an existing farm house as part of the same project.

The 42 year old labourer was asked to cut an electricity cable that was running through the cellar of the farm property. He had been told that there was no power running through the cable and that it was safe to cut.

However, when he cut the cable he suffered a 230 volt electric shock. The shock was strong enough to throw him across the room.

The HSE investigated the accident and found that the construction firm had not checked existing cables on the property to see if they were live or not. The company were prosecuted for breaking construction regulations and pleaded guilty at court recently.

They were fined £8,000 for breaking rules designed to protect the safety of workers.

Multiple Electrical Safety Violations Leads to Condemned House of Landord in Wales

December 17, 2010 1 comment

Neath, Wales, United Kingdom – A Neath landlord has had his house of multiple occupation condemned by council officials.

Environmental Health officers found the property in Croft Road, Neath was at a substantial risk from fire and significant electrical faults potentially leading to electrocution of residents.

Head Of Business Strategy and Public Protection Angela Thomas said, “Conditions at the property were amongst the worse ever seen by officers. We were so concerned at the conditions, immediate enforcement action was necessary and the house was closed down to prevent further risk or injury to those living at the house.”

Council Leader Ali Thomas said, “It is everybody’s right to live safely within their home. Along with partners, we are committed to protecting the occupants of private rented properties, many of whom are vulnerable, throughout the county borough and we also look to work closely with the main private rented housing providers.

“Landlords who flout safety laws and fail to manage or maintain their properties put tenants’ lives at risk.”

story via newswales.co.uk

Man in UK Receives Shock, Falls to Concrete Floor

December 17, 2010 Leave a comment

Suffolk, United Kingdom – A Suffolk man suffered serious personal injury, when he plummeted five metres to the ground after being electrocuted climbing a crane ladder.

David Minor a mechanical fitter of Bury St Edmunds, suffered a fractured vertebra, broke his heel and sustained burns to his hands, when he was electrocuted and fell eighteen feet onto a solid concrete floor. Mr. Minor was employed by Graham Parish Engineering of Sudbury Road, Cockfield, who had been subcontracted by Cambridge based building and timber merchants Ridgeons Ltd. An investigation by the Governments Health and Safety Executive (HSE) revealed that Mr. Minor had been climbing a ladder in order to make repairs to an overhead crane system, when he came into contact with a live conductor which provided the main power channel to the crane. The resulting electric shock caused him to fall from the crane onto the concrete floor below. Even though the main power channel carried three phase 415v electricity, there was no warning sign and it should have been isolated before any maintenance work began.

Ridgeons Ltd was fined £5,000 with £4,344.70 in costs after pleading guilty to breaching Health and Safety Regulations at Bury St Edmunds Magistrates’ Court.

Story via injuriesdirect.com