Posts Tagged ‘Jabczanik’

Company Fined When Worker is Shocked

March 14, 2012 Leave a comment

United Kingdom –  A company has been fined after a worker suffered an electric shock at work.

Krzysztof Jabczanik was working at the site of a storage company when the accident happened in August 2010. He was undertaking maintenance work to repair an external flood light.

However, Mr Jabczanik suffered a serious electric shock injury from a junction box unit. He was rushed to hospital, and placed in an induced coma. He was left with serious burn injuries to his left hand, and also suffered from memory loss from the electric shock.

The Health and Safety Executive investigated the accident and found numerous errors in what should have been a routine job. The accident was caused because the cover to the junction box had been removed before the electricity supply had been isolated.

The HSE prosecuted Mr Jabczanik’s employers (Fras Contractors Ltd) and its managing director (Adam Fras). They found that Mr Fras – who is a registered electrical engineer and was supervising the work – did not do enough to protect his worker from harm.

He pleaded guilty last week to breaking Electricity at Work Regulations and was fined £1,000. Fras Contractors Ltd were fined £1,500 for unsafe use of a ladder in regards to the accident.