Archive

Posts Tagged ‘ladder’

Man Electrocuted Cutting Down Trees

January 13, 2011 Leave a comment

Northern Territory, Australia –  Police say it seems the electrocution of a man in Darwin’s rural area yesterday was a tragic accident.

The 66 year-old man was cutting down trees in Thornbill Crescent in Howard Springs.

Duty Superintendent Bob Rennie says some branches fell across nearby power lines.

“He attempted to clear the trees by climbing a ladder but tragically it appears the ladder sank into the wet ground and earthed, killing this poor gentleman,” Supt Rennie said.

Story via ABCNET.AU

Free Electrical Safety Resources

Click Logo for Free Resources

Advertisements

Fire Department / Utilities Discuss Power Lines

January 12, 2011 Leave a comment

Fire Department & Utility Discuss Delays in Shutting Down Power Lines after 2009 Electrical Accident of Fireman

 

Scranton, PA – Representatives from the Scranton Fire Department and PPL Electric Utilities met last week to discuss solutions to the issue of PPL’s sometimes-belated response to fires and plan to meet again next week.

Scranton Deputy Fire Chief Allen Lucas said the meeting Wednesday at PPL’s facility on Larch Street aimed to “pinpoint deficiencies on both ends.”

What Deputy Chief Lucas called a “brainstorm session” produced “a lot of good ideas,” though the two plan to meet again next week along with representatives of the Lackawanna County Communications Center to iron out the details of proposed pilot programs, he said.

“We’re going to try to design some new procedures to put in place that, hopefully, might be the catalyst for the entire county to try and improve all of the deficiencies,” Deputy Chief Lucas said.

The issue came to a head after a Dec. 16 fire at Pittston Avenue and East Elm Street. Fire Chief Tom Davis raised concerns about PPL’s response to that fire, citing a nearly 40-minute delay in shutting off electrical lines after the arrival of the first fire crews.

PPL spokesman Richard Beasley said at the time that the utility company felt its 25-minute response from when its records show it was notified of the fire was “timely.”

While no one was hurt as a result of the delay, it would not have been the first time if someone had been.

On Jan. 6, 2008, city fire Capt. James Robeson was electrocuted when the ladder truck bucket he was in came into contact with a 12,400-volt overhead power line while fighting a fire on Ash Street.

Findings from a National Institute for Occupational Safety and Health released in 2009 found mixed communication between PPL and the Fire Department helped cause the devastating accident. The utility company reported the power lines were de-energized, but the Fire Department did not verify which lines had been de-energized, the report found.

“The biggest thing is just going to be in communication and timely communication on both ends,” Deputy Chief Lucas said of last week’s meeting. “It all comes down to communication.”

Mr. Beasley agreed with Deputy Chief Lucas’ assessment of the discussion.

“The overall emphasis is going to focus on how to communicate better, making sure that all parties know what’s expected of them and how to best meet those expectations,” said Mr. Beasley, who was at the meeting.

Story via TheTimes-Tribune.com

Martin Technical Electrical Safety Service

Advertisement - Click on Ad to visit Martin Technical

Electrician Killed on Job Repairing Street Light

January 6, 2011 Leave a comment

Northampton, UK – A HEALTH and safety investigation has been launched following the death of an electrician who was killed while carrying out a routine job yesterday.

It was thought Christopher Partridge, aged 55, from Northampton, was electrocuted as he fixed a street light inside the entrance of Blisworth Park, a mobile home site in Blisworth Arm.

He fell from a ladder yesterday lunchtime and hit his head on the ground, where he was pronounced dead by police.

Police cordoned off the area while representatives from Environmental Health and the Health and Safety Executive began an investigation.

The man had been an electrician for 15 years on-and-off at the site, which houses around 80 homes.

Detective Sergeant Tony Barsby, in charge at the scene, said: “The deceased was an electrician and had been working with another man who was holding the bottom of the ladder at the time.

“He had gone up the ladder to repair a light, when for reasons unknown, the light sparked and electrocuted him. He fell down and hit his head on the kerb.

“We are treating it as non-suspicious. It was a tragic accident.”

South Northants Council confirmed that an investigation into the death is now being carried out.

A spokesman said: “We are carrying out an investigation into this tragic incident and our heartfelt thoughts go out to the family and friends of the deceased.

“The investigation involves taking witness statements, assessing what happened and making sure the site is immediately safe.

“Our priority is to make sure this does not happen again, determine if there was a breach of any health and safety laws, and implement our enforcement policy if necessary.

“As this is an ongoing investigation, it would be inappropriate to comment further at this time.”

A shocked resident said the death was likely to upset neighbours who had grown close with the park’s staff.

Janet Smith, aged 48, said: “It’s awful news.

“We are a close community here, and it is a lovely quiet area.

“This is a real shock and it will be very saddening to all the neighbours here.”

Story via NorthHamptonChron.co.uk

KS Man Found Electrocuted Near Power Pole

December 30, 2010 Leave a comment

Kansas City, KS – A Miami County man appears to have been electrocuted early today while working at a power pole, authorities said.

The body of Danny Joe Miller, 42, was found at the bottom of a power pole in front of his residence at about 7 a.m. in the 3400 block of W. 399th Street, according to the Miami County Sheriff’s Office.

An aluminum extension ladder was found leaning against the power pole. Miller was found lying at the base of the ladder. An autopsy will determine the cause of death.

Authorities don’t know how long Miller had been dead when he was found. His wife last saw him at about 4:30 this morning when he got home from work.

Investigators said Miller was trying to do something at the power pole, but what exactly they don’t know. Kansas City Power & Light was called to the scene and is doing its investigation.

The case is still open.

Story via TheKansasCityStar.com

Electrical Safety should always be practiced when using ladders.  Only qualified persons are permitted to work on electrical equipment.

Man in UK Receives Shock, Falls to Concrete Floor

December 17, 2010 Leave a comment

Suffolk, United Kingdom – A Suffolk man suffered serious personal injury, when he plummeted five metres to the ground after being electrocuted climbing a crane ladder.

David Minor a mechanical fitter of Bury St Edmunds, suffered a fractured vertebra, broke his heel and sustained burns to his hands, when he was electrocuted and fell eighteen feet onto a solid concrete floor. Mr. Minor was employed by Graham Parish Engineering of Sudbury Road, Cockfield, who had been subcontracted by Cambridge based building and timber merchants Ridgeons Ltd. An investigation by the Governments Health and Safety Executive (HSE) revealed that Mr. Minor had been climbing a ladder in order to make repairs to an overhead crane system, when he came into contact with a live conductor which provided the main power channel to the crane. The resulting electric shock caused him to fall from the crane onto the concrete floor below. Even though the main power channel carried three phase 415v electricity, there was no warning sign and it should have been isolated before any maintenance work began.

Ridgeons Ltd was fined £5,000 with £4,344.70 in costs after pleading guilty to breaching Health and Safety Regulations at Bury St Edmunds Magistrates’ Court.

Story via injuriesdirect.com

NY Worker Fatally Electrocuted While Replacing Gutters

November 6, 2010 Leave a comment

PLAINVIEW, NEW YORK — Police on Long Island say a 21-year-old male worker was electrocuted to death when his aluminum extension ladder struck overhead power lines.

Police say it happened just after 2 p.m. Friday while the man was replacing gutters on Morton Drive in Plainview.

Story via OnlineWSJ.com

IA Man Killed When Ladder Touches Power Line

October 18, 2010 Leave a comment

ARENZVILLE, IOWA — A 35-year-old Iowa man was electrocuted Wednesday while working near Arenzville in Morgan County.

Denver Smith of Des Moines came in contact with a live wire while standing on a ladder about 9:30 a.m., according to Morgan County Coroner Jeff Lair.

He was installing equipment at the time.

Smith was pronounced dead about 10:30 a.m. at Passavant Area Hospital in Jacksonville, Lair said. An autopsy is scheduled today at Memorial Medical Center.

Smith worked for the Des Moines-based Baker Group at Burris Seed Farms, which is outside Arenzville.

Story via SJ-R.com