Archive

Posts Tagged ‘lamp’

Man Electrocuted While Using Lamp Outside

January 27, 2011 Leave a comment

Police today named a 38-year-old man who was electrocuted while using a poorly insulated lamp in eastern Bay of Plenty.

He was Paul Farrar from Auckland.

The father of three was found dead by his aunt along Waiotahi Valley Road in Opotiki, 60km south-east of Whakatane, about 8am on Tuesday, Opotiki police Sergeant Mike McKenzie said.

“She was visiting up at the marae next door and when she was driving out, she saw him. He was outside.”

Farrar was on holiday, moving a portable cabin to family land near the Maromahue marae.

He was thought to have been using a lamp outside in wet weather with poorly insulated electrical cords.

Story via TVNZ.co.nz

Man Electrocuted by Lamp Post in Eygpt

January 22, 2011 Leave a comment

Minya, Eygpt – Two people died and 43 others were injured countrywide on Tuesday due to poor weather conditions. The bad weather also caused the collapse of three homes and the destruction of hundreds of acres of farmland.

In Minya, a 21-year-old man died after being electrocuted by a lamppost.

45 Faulty Light Poles Found in Seattle

January 12, 2011 Leave a comment

SEATTLE, WA — Seattle City Light has uncovered more shock hazards from faulty light poles.

Crews inspecting metal light posts for shock hazards in Seattle found 45 problems, some with street light poles and others involving traffic signs.

Inspectors registered 100 volts coming off a faulty pole at one intersection in the International District. Another pole at Boren and Marion had voltage in the 105-volt range.

It was 90 volts that electrocuted a dog in Queen Anne. Sammy died Thanksgiving Day when he stepped on an energized sidewalk plate. Crews blame a lack of grounding and a pinched wire.

After several other complaints, the city hired two contractors to inspect all of the utility’s 30,000 metal poles and ground plates.

“We wanted to get it completed as quickly as we could, and we felt if we divided up the city between two different contractors, we probably could accomplish that in a quicker period of time,” said Suzanne Hartman.

The quick inspection process has cost the utility $300,000 so far.

“It’s not expensive when you consider the long term benefit for the customers and the city,” Hartman said.

But the city hasn’t yet added up the cost of overtime for city light crews making rounds with the inspectors and making repairs.

The inspectors, who look for anything above 30 volts, have found 45 shock hazards, more than half of which were emitting more than 50 volts.

“About half of the ones that we’ve discovered with the elevated voltage — we’ve been able to repair right on the spot. And the other half — we’ll have to come back and do something more extensive,” Hartman said.

Hartman says anything not yet repaired has been de-energized or turned off until it is fixed.

Story via KomoNews.com

Free Electrical Safety Resources

Click Logo for Free Resources

Faulty Lamp Electrocutes Man in UK

January 11, 2011 Leave a comment

Bristol, UK – A doting house husband and former Evening Post employee was electrocuted at his grandmother’s birthday party, an inquest has heard.

Mark Rogers popped down into the dark cellar at his grandmother Eileen’s home in Frenchay to fetch more champagne glasses.

The 32-year-old father-of-one was celebrating with his father and other family members and had just spoken to his partner, who was leaving work to join them.

But moments later he was killed by an electric shock from a faulty lamp in the small, damp cellar under the kitchen in Stanshaw Close.

Assistant deputy coroner David Dooley passed a verdict of accidental death at Avon Coroner’s Court in Flax Bourton yesterday.

Mr Rogers’ partner since school days, Charlotte Hopkins, and father Martin, were among seven family and friends who attended the short hearing.

In Martin Rogers’ statement to the court, read by coroner’s officer Andrew Hamilton, he said he had asked his son Mark to go into the cellar to get some more glasses.

Questioned directly by the coroner he added that the light was poor down there and the family had for years used a lamp which was plugged into a mains socket in the cellar.

In the statement Martin said Mark had initially been unable to find the glasses but went downstairs a second time to look in some boxes.

His father said he heard a strange noise, “a bang on the kitchen floor”, and rushed down to check his son was OK.

He found Mark slumped over a box. When he touched his son he got an electric shock and watched Mark fall back onto the floor, the 3ft lamp across his chest.

Martin, a trained nurse, quickly turned off the plug and began to try and resuscitate his son while his daughter Sam, 34, dialled 999.

Mark was pronounced dead at the scene when paramedics arrived at 6.15pm on September 7 last year.

“I think I knew in my mind that Mark was dead,” said Martin in his statement.

Ambulance and a fire crew ensured the electricity to the house was shut off before removing Mark’s body.

Qualified electrician Bradley Purnell, of Avonlee Electrical Contractors, said in a statement that a visual inspection of the house showed wiring in a poor state and evidence of lots of additions not carried out by qualified tradesmen.

He said the socket in the cellar was “wired incorrectly and undersized” but “was not dangerous” , yet the lamp was “unsatisfactory”.

Summing up, the coroner said the cable was “exposed and dangerous”.

“If (Mr Rogers) strained the connection in any way then this may have caused it to short and as it didn’t have any earth, in effect, he became the earth and received a shock,” he said.

Mr Rogers, of Earlsmead Court in Staple Hill worked as a salesman for the Evening Post and Western Daily Press from 2001 to 2008 and was described by his partner as a “natural parent”.

The couple had a daughter, Isobel, in September 2007 and when Mr Rogers was made redundant they decided he should be a house husband for a while.

“Mark loved the time he got to spend with Isobel,” said Ms Hopkins in her statement.

“I spoke to Mark at 5pm and he said they had had a great time and were heading back to Eileen’s house.”

 Story via ThisIsBristol.co.uk