Archive

Posts Tagged ‘line’

Overhead Electrical Lines Fall Causing Injury

March 14, 2012 Leave a comment

Passengers on a SEPTA trackless trolley suffered a brief scare when overhead electrical lines fell onto the vehicle Monday afternoon in Northeast Philadelphia, officials said.

Four blocks of overhead wires were knocked down, said SEPTA spokesman Andrew Busch.

About 3:10 p.m. the Route 66 trackless trolley was on Frankford Avenue at Harbison Avenue when a truck crossing the intersection knocked down the wires powering the SEPTA vehicle, said passenger Walter Hansley, 54.

The driver yelled “Don’t move! Don’t move! Don’t touch nothing metal!” Hansley recalled.

About a half-dozen passengers stayed on the trolley for about five minutes, He said. When the passengers complained about being trapped on the trolley, the driver let them out, but advised then “to jump off” so as not to touch anything, Hansley said.

Busch said that overhead wires also came down on other vehicles on Frankford Avenue. One minor injury was reported, he said.

Accidents such as this are monitored by SEPTA’s control center and the section of wire is quickly turned off, Busch said.

Story via Philly.com

Advertisements

2 Firefighters Shocked Responding to Fire in MA

December 13, 2011 Leave a comment
BOSTON, MA Four Boston firefighters were hospitalized after battling a fire Saturday night in Boston’s Fenway neighborhood.
 
The fire at 25 Peterborough St. broke out in an apartment on the first floor about 8:15 p.m., sending the residents of the 30 units in the building to the street. 100 residents were forced to find other places to live.
 
Two firefighters went to the hospital after being shocked by electric lines; two others suffered chest pains.

 Fire officials believe the fire was started by an electrical short circuit. Damage to the building was estimated at $200,000.

Story via TheBostonChannel.com

Martin Technical Electrical Safety Services Arc Flash

Advertisement - Click on Ad to visit Martin Technical

Co-op Line Worker Severely Burned by High Voltage Power Line in AL

December 1, 2011 Leave a comment

CULLMAN, AL — A Cullman Electric Cooperative line worker is receiving treatment for severe burns after coming into contact with a high-voltage power line on the job in the Johnsons Crossing community Wednesday.

The worker, whose name is being withheld at his family’s request, was transported to the burn unit at UAB hospital Wednesday afternoon following the electrical accident, which occurred around 2:15 p.m. No other workers were injured.

Co-op spokesman Brian Lacy said Wednesday the accident occurred during routine work on the cooperative’s distribution lines in the area.

“There were several crews working in the area at the time, and he was by himself in the bucket of a bucket truck when he came into physical contact with the line,” said Lacy.

“His partner on the ground, who had been trained in bucket truck-type rescue procedures, was able to use the bucket controls on the ground to lower him and help get him out of the bucket. He was transported to helicopter to the burn unit at UAB, and he was responsive and able to communicate with paramedics on the ground at the time that he was being loaded into the helicopter.”

The distribution line on which the man had been working carries 7,200 volts of electricity, said Lacy.

Because of the manner in which electrical injuries affect the body, Lacy said it is too early to offer a prognosis on the victim’s long-term prospects for recovery.

“In general, in situations in which electricity passes through the body, a person can have visible burn marks on their skin — but they can also have internal injuries that may take more time to manifest,” he said. “It could really be several weeks until we know. The fact that he is alive is good news, and we are hopeful that the doctors will be able to help him in his recovery, but it is still very early in that process right now.”

While accidents involving high-voltage electrical currents are severe, they are also rare. The last accident in which a Co-op lineman was injured after contact with an energized line occurred more than 10 years ago, in July of 2000.

“We put a major emphasis on safety, and on understanding the dangers involved with electricity,” said Lacy. “It’s so unforgiving — all it takes is one mistake, one time. Our workers are guys who, every single day, put themselves in a position of potential danger. Our guys receive training on site six months out of the year with the safety director of the Alabama Rural Electricity Association, who comes and reinforces the same concepts and procedures these guys have known their entire career. Certainly there’s no one on the face of the earth who has more respect for the power of electricity than an electrical lineman.”

Story via CullmanTimes.com

Low Investment Leading to Electrical Accidents

January 22, 2011 Leave a comment

CUU LONG DELTA, VIET NAM — Negligence and the use of electricity to trap rats or catch fish have claimed the tragic deaths of many people in rural areas. But electricity companies said the underlying problem was low investment and lack of maintenance of low and medium voltage electricity grids.

Angry with the infestation of rats on his rice field, farmer Nguyen Thanh Long in Dong Thap Province’s Hung Dong hamlet electrified a rice field with fuse wire to destroy the rodent infestation.

Unfortunately, Long himself was electrocuted when hunting for frogs on the night of January 1, 2010.

Another victim Nguyen Ut Muoi was also electrocuted recently in Dong Thap Province. The man was using electricity to kill rats as they had been eating his ducks.

Electrocution also killed Le Thanh Hat in Soc Trang Province’s Ngoc To Commune when he was trying to move an electricity wire connected from the power grid to his house to a higher place.

Statistics released by the communal People’s Committee showed at least four people had been electrocuted because of negligence in the past two years.

Committee chairman Nguyen Trung Thanh said thousands of households had illegally connected electricity lines to shrimp ponds for lighting and powering water pumps.

The chairman admitted the number of electrical accidents had not decreased despite the local authority continuing to educate people about electrical safety measures.

An official from Dong Thap provincial Electricity Company Vo Van Hong blamed the unsafe condition of the rural power grid as a major cause of electrical accidents in addition to the negligence of the locals.

Although official figures about the number of electrical accidents are not available, Hong said accidents had plunged since the company took over the control of provincial power grid from local government and co-operatives.

“The company has regularly upgraded and repaired the provincial grid,” he said.

Only one commune out of 144 has not yet been put under the company’s control.

Management over low and medium voltage electricity grids had for a long time been mostly under the responsibility of local authorities and co-operatives.

Hong said these power grids had been seriously downgraded because of a lack of investment and repairs. They also failed to be constructed using proper safety standards. The wiring lacked the capacity to cope with high voltages, and the quality and type used varied based on location, he added.

Despite low and medium voltage electricity grids being recognised as posing substantial safety concerns, little action had been taken.

Deputy director of Hau Giang province’s Industry and Trade Department Le Chi Cong said electricity co-operatives in the province had only gradually transferred management over to the provincial electricity company as the Law on Electricity required.

Yet Cong said it would take time before the transfer was finished.

Only 93 per cent of households in the province had been connected to the power grid. Cong said the number of households using unsafe electricity supplies still accounted for a high proportion of users, and were mostly in mountainous and remote areas.

In Can Tho City, meanwhile, about VND90 billion (US$4.2 million) has been invested in the provincial power grid over the past five years.

However, a large number of locals still continue to have a blase approach to electricity. Many have illegally connected to power grid to avoid paying electricity bills.

According to deputy director of Can Tho City’s Industry and Trade Department Duong Nghia Hiep, management by the provincial electricity company would only be completed by the end of this year.

According to Electricity of Viet Nam, it has taken over the management of low voltage electricity grids in 7,000 of the 9,106 communes nationwide. — VNS VietnamNewes

Electrician Killed While Not Wearing Right PPE

January 22, 2011 Leave a comment

Northern Territory, Australia –  WorkSafe says a man who died in Darwin’s rural area was electrocuted when he touched a damaged wire.

The 66-year-old electrician was called to a house in Howard Springs last Thursday, to repair a power line damaged by a storm.

WorkSafe says tree branches had fallen on the line and the man was electrocuted when he tried to reconnect it with a power pole.

WorkSafe says the man wasn’t using the right protective equipment and didn’t have the tools to check if the line was damaged.

WorkSafe has issued a safety alert, urging all contractors to be extremely careful when working with damaged power lines.

Story via abc.net.au