Archive

Posts Tagged ‘Malaysia’

Man Loses Both Hands in Electric Shock Accident

January 22, 2011 Leave a comment

SHAH ALAM, MALAYSIA РA man faces a bleak future when both his hands were amputated following a freak accident where he suffered electric shocks while plucking oil palm fruit at an estate in Tanjung Karang, two months ago.

Doctors, who are treating Muhamad Hairuman Miskon, 22, have decided to amputate both his hands below the elbow to avoid infection from spreading to other parts of his body.

Hairuman’s ordeal started on Nov 26, last year, when he was plucking oil palm fruit with a friend.

He was using a steel rod with a hook on one end to pluck the palm oil fruit, unaware that the leaves of the tree were wet from a downpour the night before and were touching a nearby high-voltage electric cable.

As soon as the rod touched the wet leaves, he suffered shocks and was thrown off about 5m.

Hairuman suffered more than 50 per cent burns to his body, with both his hands totally charred.

Since the accident, the victim had been admitted to several hospitals in Tanjung Karang and Sungai Buloh before he was transferred to Tengku Ampuan Rahimah Hospital on Monday.

His elder sister, Maryuni Miskon, 32, said doctors told the family that both of his hands had to be amputated because they were completely burnt.

“I agree with the surgery if it will help to save his life. At the same time, I’m also wondering how Hairuman will make a living without his two hands,” said Maryuni.

She added that Hairuman used to do wiring jobs before the incident.

She also said she had spent thousands of ringgit on Hairuman’s medical expenses since the accident.

Members of the Committee of Community Services and Rakan Muda of the Malaysian Youth Council visited Hairuman yesterday.

Its chairman, Rizan Hassan, urged members of the public and non-governmental organisations to offer financial assistance to help ease the victim’s financial burden.

Story via AsiaOne.com

Free Electrical Safety Resources

Click Logo for Free Resources

Advertisements

Woman Electrocuted by Grabbing Live Wire

January 12, 2011 Leave a comment

KOTA BARU, Malaysia – A flood victim was electrocuted when she slipped and grasped a live wire at Kampung Simpangan Hulu in Tumpat here yesterday.

Norshazila Rosli, 27, had moved to her mother-in-law’s house a few days ago after her house at Kampung Pauh Sebatang was hit by floods.

Her husband Mahadi Yahya, 30, said they had just returned home at about 1pm after visiting relatives at Pengkalan Kubur.

“She was climbing the stairs of the house when she slipped and grabbed a live wire connecting the house and the garage. At the time, the compound of the house was flooded by 0.5cm of water,” he said.
Story via AsiaOne.com

Suspected Copper Wire Thief Found Dead at Substation

November 18, 2010 Leave a comment

Bernama, Malaysia – The body of a 30-year-old man believed to be a drug addict was found lying at a TNB sub-station in Jalan Pelabuhan here yesterday.

Found beside the man were a spanner and an iron cutter and police believe he was about to steal copper cables when he was electrocuted.

An officer from the state criminal investigation department ASP Noor Asyikin Shamsuri said the body dressed in a blue shirt and jeans was discovered by a TNB worker at 4.30pm.

Investigations showed the man who lived with his elder brother, left the house three days ago, and had been arrested several times earlier.

Story via Bernama.com

Worker in Malaysia Fatally Electrocuted

October 26, 2010 Leave a comment

LABUAN, MALAYSIA‚ÄĒ A cleaning worker was found electrocuted at the Tourism Ministry’s sea sports tourism complex here today. A Museums Department security guard making his patrols in the area stumbled upon the body at 6.45am. Labuan deputy police chief DSP Zakaria Yusof identified victim as Mursi Jainuddin, 24.

Story via TheMalaysianInsider.com