Archive

Posts Tagged ‘Missouri’

4 dead after Boat Electrocutions

Missouri and Tennessee:  Four children are dead after a pair of separate electrocution accidents on lakes in Missouri and Tennessee.

Nathan Lynam, 11, died Thursday night at Children’s Hospital in Knoxville, Tenn., Grainger County Sheriff Scott Layel told The Associated Press.

On Wednesday afternoon, Lynam and Noah Winstead, 10, were swimming between two houseboats at Cherokee Lake outside Knoxville when they were electrocuted. Winstead died at the scene; Lynam was resuscitated Wednesday but died Thursday.

Five adults who jumped in the water to help were shocked as well.

Investigators ruled out electrical problems at the dock and have focused their attention on frayed wiring aboard the houseboat the boys were next to when they were shocked, Grainger County Sheriff Scott Layel told the Knoxville News Sentinel.

The houseboat belongs to Nate Lynam’s grandfather, Michael Voccola, 58, of Morristown, said Matt Cameron, spokesman for the Tennessee Wildlife Resources Agency. The boys were swimming near a metal ladder on the boat when the electrical current apparently hit them.

In the Missouri accident, also Wednesday, Alexandra Anderson, 13, and her brother Brayden, 8, were killed while swimming near a private dock at Lake of the Ozarks around noon, according to published reports.

Adults standing on a dock heard screaming and jumped in the water. Police say those who jumped in felt electricity and cut off power to the dock. The adults performed CPR on the children but could not revive them, according to a LakeNewsOnline.com report.

The preliminary investigation indicates improper wiring, and the dock had no ground fault circuit interrupter, which allowed electricity to travel into the water, according to the report. Sources could be a boat lift and/or a pump for a water slide. The Missouri State Highway Patrol Water Patrol Division is investigating.

Story via tradeonlytoday.com

Advertisements

MT: OSHA Cites PAR Electric

BILLINGS, Mont. – The U.S. Department of Labor’s Occupational Safety and Health Administration has cited Kansas City, Mo.-based PAR Electrical Contractors Inc. for three alleged safety violations following the Dec. 22, 2011, death of an employee who was electrocuted while working on a power line near the town of Two Dot, Mont., approximately 100 miles outside of Billings.
“We are committed to doing everything in our power to prevent tragic workplace incidents such as this from happening,” said Trina Mailloux, acting director of OSHA’s Billings Area Office. “Employers must ensure that workers are protected when working near power lines.”

OSHA has issued citations for two serious violations involving exposing workers to electrocution hazards when they are working in close proximity to energized parts without approved insulating safeguards and failing to discontinue the power line work when high winds made the situation particularly hazardous. A serious violation occurs when there is substantial probability that death or serious physical harm could result from a hazard about which the employer knew or should have known.  Additionally, a citation has been issued for one repeat violation involving failing to keep new conductors under positive control in order to prevent accidental contact with energized circuits.

In February 2007, OSHA cited PAR Electrical Contractors for essentially the same violation identified at a Missouri job site. A repeat violation exists when an employer previously has been cited for the same or a similar violation of a standard, regulation, rule or order at any other facility in federal enforcement states within the last five years.
The citations carry a total of $52,500 in proposed fines. The company has 15 business days from receipt of the citations and proposed penalties to comply, request an informal conference with OSHA or contest the findings before the independent Occupational Safety and Health Review Commission.

Story via OSHA.

For Information on Electrical Safety Inspections visit:

Martin Technical Electrical Safety Services Arc Flash

Advertisement – Click on Ad to visit Martin Technical

 

MO Sprint Car Driver Hockett Killed in Home Electrical Accident

WARSAW, MISSOURI – Sprint car driver Jesse Hockett died from an electrical accident at his garage on Wednesday night. According to his Web site.   Hockett was preparing his race trailer for racing this Memorial Day weekend when the accident happened.   How the electrical accident occured is not known.

Missouri Tightens Rule on Utilities Reporting of Electrical Accidents

JEFFERSON CITY, MISSOURI — The Missouri Public Service Commission has approved changes to current Commission rules regarding new reporting requirements for electric utilities (such as The Empire District Electric Company, AmerenUE, Kansas City Power & Light Company and KCP&L Greater Missouri Operations Company) and rural electric cooperatives.

Under the rule changes, electric utilities and rural electric cooperatives will be required to notify the Public Service Commission of accidents and events involving human contact with electric current of significant voltage, even when the utility or rural electric cooperative believes the problem originated on the customer’s side of the electric meter.

The changes are designed to enable the Commission to be better informed about electrical accidents and events that result in significant property loss, injury or death. “The rule ensures that the Commission will know about these incidences promptly, instead of reading about them months later in the newspaper. Once we know, we may be able to help identify the problem and protect the consumer,” said Commissioner Kevin Gunn.

The Commission will be able to thoroughly and fairly investigate certain accidents and events that may have an impact in future electric rate case at the time and in the context in which those events occur. The rules also include electric facilities accident and event reporting requirements for rural electric cooperatives. The Commission initiated this rulemaking proceeding because of an incident resulting in a death at Spring Lake near DeSoto, Mo. The incident was not required to be reported to the PSC under the old rule.

Story Via Carthage Press

Categories: Legal Tags: , , ,

Missouri Man receives 480 Volt Shock from Meter Box

SIKESTON, MO –  Emergency personnel responded to a report of a 65-year-old BMU worker being electrocuted. “He was just going to pull a meter and he got his hand in the meter box too far,” said Kenny Stokes, distribution superintendent for Sikeston Board of Municipal Utilities (BMU), a city-owned utility providing the city of Sikeston with electric, water, sanitary sewer and Internet services.  The worker reportedly was alert when emergency personnel arrived and did not suffer any burns from the 480-volt shock, Stokes said, as it “jarred him out” of contact with the meter box. He was taken by ambulance to Missouri Delta Medical Center and released from the hospital by about 3:30 p.m. that same day according to Stokes.  

KC Firemen Rescue Painter who Recieved Shock While on Roof

KANSAS CITY, MO –  Kansas City firefighters rescued a painter who was trapped atop a multi-story building after suffering an electric shock.

Categories: Home, Shock Tags: , , ,