Archive

Posts Tagged ‘national grid’

MI: Arc Creates Underground Fire

October 8, 2012 Leave a comment

Troy, MI:  Noise from a large explosion startled residents on Fifth Avenue between Federal and Jacob streets late Thursday afternoon. City of Troy Fire Department officials later said the explosion was caused by an electrical fire underground.

“We were sitting out here talking when we heard a sound like something blew up,” said resident Ida Pryer. “I saw smoke coming out from the sewer but I thought it was coming from the car.”

Another Fifth Avenue resident, Debra, said she saw the manhole cover come up from the ground and land in front of a parked car. She said she immediately called 911 and the Troy Police Department.

Battalion Chief Ray Davis said he was informed by National Grid that the isolated incident began when an arc in a 34,500 volt power line underground caused an electrical fire which forced the manhole cover to be lifted off the ground. The arc shorted out and kept the problem from spreading to other areas.

“It’s unusual in the City of Troy but not so unusual based on the infrastructure of the older cities where some of the electrical lines are older and having issues,” Davis said, adding it is also unusual to see manhole covers flying around.

Davis said the scene would be turned over to National Grid.

Story via troyrecord.com

Advertisements

Home Electrical Safety Check App Launched in UK

November 28, 2011 Leave a comment

A new study finds that millions of people in the UK expose themselves and their families to potentially fatal accidents in the home through simple electrical blunders because of an alarming lack of knowledge about the real danger of electricity.

Today, on the birthday of the National Grid, the Electrical Safety Council (ESC) is launching a free smartphone app to help people ensure their families and homes are safe. 

The research from ESC reveals a dangerous level of ignorance about the perils of electricity in UK households. In the past year, almost one million people have repaired an appliance while it is still plugged in; despite the fact this can result in a fatal or serious injury.

Other electrical ‘confessions’ included knowingly using faulty plugs or sockets (12.2 million people), ignoring burning smells coming from an appliance or socket (1.5 million people) and trailing cables near hot surfaces or cookers (2 million people). 

People are severely misjudging the risks involved with electricity.  At least one person dies each week from its everyday use, while 350,000 people are seriously injured annually[.

Yet those surveyed were as concerned about having an electrical accident as they were of being in a plane crash, or getting struck by lightning[iii]. In reality, on average, only one person in the UK is killed by lightning each year[iv] and no one has died in a commercial plane accident in 11 years[v]. 

Easy to prevent

Most electrical accidents can be prevented by a Residual Current Device (RCD), a life-saving device which prevents you from getting a fatal electric shock if you touch something live, such as a bare wire.

It works by cutting power if there is a surge. However, the ESC study shows a serious lack of knowledge of this vital safety device: 70% of people surveyed do not know what an RCD is and almost half of all UK homes (49%) don’t have adequate RCD protection.

In contrast, smoke alarms are owned by 88% of the population but nearly half[vi] (49%) of accidental housefires in the UK are caused by electricity.

Celebrity home improvers, Colin McAllister and Justin Ryan, want people to take charge of their electrical safety. Colin said: “We have seen plenty of dodgy wiring in our time but often it is the simple things that people could check themselves – such as a wire left near a hot surface or an overloaded socket – that can lead to a serious accident.

“We are urging everyone – including those looking to move into a new home – to download the free ESC app as a basic protection for themselves and their families.”

Free and impartial help

The new ESC app, which launches today, allows anyone – whether they live in the home or are looking to move into it – to do a quick, visual check, to ensure its electrically safety. Designed to be as easy-to-use as possible, the app highlights potential dangers in each room and explains how to resolve simple, non-technical problems.

Where more serious issues are flagged, people are advised to use a registered electrician. The app is available for iPhone and Android phones – just go to the App Store or Android Market, search for ‘Home Electrical Safety Check’ then follow the instructions to download.

Director General of the ESC, Phil Buckle, said: “Electricity has become vital to our lives since the formation of the National Grid, 76 years ago.

“Yet even though we are using more electrical products than ever before, there is a worrying gap between the public’s perception of electrical danger and the reality, with people making simple yet potentially fatal errors that can be easily prevented.

“The ESC’s Home Electrical Safety Check app was designed to bridge that gap. We wanted to create something which people would find effortless but essential.

“It can be used any time in your home. It can also be used as a basic tool when viewing accommodation, whether you are planning to buy or rent.

“Landlords too, should find it useful, as it will allow them to review their properties to ensure tenant safety.”

Free Electrical Safety Resources

Click Logo for Free Resources