Archive

Posts Tagged ‘negligence’

INDIA: Contractor Negligence Causes Electrocution

Mahim, INDIA: A 21-year-old man was electrocuted at a bus stand in Mahim (East) on Thursday. The police have registered a case of negligence against the contractors of a billboard at the bus stand that is believed to have caused the electrocution.

The victim identified as Abdul Karim Shakil Shaikh, a resident of Rathi Killa Compound, Mahim (East) . Police officers said it was a short circuit in a billboard displaying a tea advertisement above the bus stand that electrocuted Shaikh.

The police have registered a case of causing death due to negligence under Section 304(A) of the Indian Penal Code against the contractors of the billboard.The police said Shaikh was a hawker who sold imitation jewellery sets on streets. He is survived by his mother and four brothers. “A probe is on,” said an officer.

Story via expressindia.com

Advertisements

England: Company Negligent in Electrical Accident

Cambridgeshire, ENGLAND:  A Cambridgeshire firm has been fined £3,500 after an employee was left unable to work for four months when he suffered an electric shock.

Tecvac pleaded guilty at Cambridge Magistrates’ Court to having neglected sufficient working safety standards.

Derek Offord, 45, was conducting a machinery operation at the company’s plant in Buckingway Business Park when he was shocked by electric volts from cables.

Mr Offord suffered gashes to parts of his arm and hands as well as burns to his left arm and knee. He remained in hospital for almost two weeks and was out of work for a further four months while his injuries healed.

An inquiry was held by the Health and Safety Executive (HSE) into the incident, which took place on 28 July last year, and it was concluded that Tecvac failed to supply a necessary safe working environment and failed to maintain a safe electrical system.

Tecvac Limited, pleaded guilty to infringement of Regulation 4 (3) of the Electricity at Work Regulations and the company was charged £3,500 with costs of £5,380.

Story via IOSH.com

For an Electrical Safety Audit  and Electrical Safety Training contact:

Martin Technical Electrical Safety Services Arc Flash

Advertisement – Click on Ad to visit Martin Technical

2 Utility Workers Electrocuted in India in Separate Accidents

February 15, 2011 Leave a comment
KEONJHAR, INDIA : Two persons were electrocuted while working on electrical lines in Champua and Baria police station areas.

The two have been identified as Sadasiba Naik (45) and Binod Mohanta (40). The incident was took place around 7 pm on Thursday at separate locations, about 40 km from here. While Sadasiba Naik, a line man, died at Ukhunda village in Baria, while working on a 11-KV line, Binod Mohanta, a relative a line man at Chauthia in Champua was electrocuted while repairing a similar 11-KV line.

Sadasiba was working on the line, when the shock hurtled him off the pole, sending him rolling to the ground. Binod was, however, found hanging from the pole after being electrocuted.

The incidents have angered the villagers of Chauthia and nearby areas who on Friday staged a protest and gheraoed the executive engineer of Nesco and other officers of the department, demanding compensation for the families. They villagers did not allow the police to take down Binod’s body from the pole.

Sources said that after electricity supply from Rimuli substation was disrupted, these two men were sent to carry out some repair work, when a sudden surge of electricity killed them.

Police arrived on the spot on Thursday night, but the villagers refused to hand over the bodies. They demanded compensation of about `5 lakh for Binod’s family, who were residents of Chauthia. Binod was not an employee of the department. Hiring him to do the repair work should not have been allowed, claimed the villagers.

“They were repairing the line after the supply was shit down. The line, on which they were working, suddenly got charged when a wire from another feeder line fell on it,” Nesco superintendent engineer Nirmal Das said. “The actual cause can be ascertained only after an investigation,” he said, adding, “Action will be taken against the lineman who allowed the villagers to repair the line,” SE added.

Sources alleged that the deaths were caused due to the negligence of department.

Incidentally, about six persons, including two children, have died due to electrocution within a span of a few years. Meanwhile, people of the area say power cuts and failures have risen in the area. They are demanding separate electrical sections by installing a sub-station at Ukhunda to cater to the electrical need of that area. At present, the area is under Rimuli electrical section.

Free Electrical Safety Resources

Click Logo for Free Resources