Archive

Posts Tagged ‘New York’

NY: Electrician Found in Crawl Space: Electrocution

September 5, 2012 Leave a comment
SCARSDALE, N.Y.:  A Connecticut electrician was found dead in a narrow crawl space of a suburban New York home a day after being electrocuted. Police tell The Journal News in White Plains the body of 47-year-old Michael Macol, of Bethel, was found dead on Wednesday in the home in Scarsdale.Police say Macol and a general contractor were working in the home on Tuesday. Police say the general contractor finished his work and left. The Westchester family returned home and saw Macol’s van still in the driveway but they didn’t know why it was still there.

The newspaper says the family called police the next day and an officer using a flashlight spotted Macol’s body in a basement crawl space still holding an electrical wire.

Story via wfsb.com

 

Advertisements

Union Square Electrical Fire

New York, NY: An electrical fire at the Union Square subway station led to the temporary closing of one block of 14th Street at around 2 p.m.

EV Grieve rounded up photos of the small blaze, which is in a grate beside a subway entrance on the south side of 14th Street between Broadway and Fourth Avenue. The fire was caused by a “service box failure,” a spokesman for Con Edison told The Local. A spokesman told Gothamist, which gathered tweets about the fire, that the cause was “a failure of electrical cables.” No injuries were reported.

A spokesman for the Fire Department told The Local that firefighters had not responded to the fire — though photos say otherwise. In an apparently unrelated call, firefighters did respond to a report of smoke inside the station at around 12:30 p.m., which was caused by the breaks of a train.

The Con Edison employees who tended to the fire were managers filling in for unionized workers, who have been locked out. Recently union members have staged regular protests outside of Con Edison headquarters on Irving Place, though none were gathered today, perhaps due to the rain.

Story via NY Times

NY: Construction Accident Lawyer Comments on Hilton Explosion

New York, NY June 20, 2012:  Three people were injured in an electrical explosion at the midtown  Manhattan New York Hilton, reported the New  York Daily News (6/13/2012).

“Any work that’s done with or around electricity can be dangerous.   Surprising to many, only a small quantity of electrical energy is needed to  cause serious injury or death,” said New York construction accident lawyer David Perecman, chairman of the Labor Law committee for the New  York State Trial Lawyers Association and lecturer on construction accident  law.

Two of the people hurt in the blast were workers.  They were working on an  electrical panel in the basement of the hotel at the time of the construction  accident, The New York Daily News said.  One man suffered a head injury.  The other was treated for minor burns to his  hands, reported the tabloid.  A woman who was trapped in the elevator when the power cut off was treated  for hyperventilation.  There were no other injuries in the construction  accident, the New York tabloid said.

As construction accident lawyers at The Perecman Firm understand, New York State and the Occupational Safety &  Health Administration (OSHA) have many rules aimed at keeping New York  construction workers safe.

“If a worker gets hurt because he or she lacked adequate safety equipment or  was not provided with the proper tools, the worker in New York will recover  compensation for damages from the construction accident,” New York construction accident lawyer Perecman, founder of The  Perecman Firm, one of New York’s construction accident law firms, said.

The Perecman Firm serves Manhattan, Bronx, Brooklyn, Queens, Staten Island,  Long Island, Westchester, Upstate NY, Morris County, and Rockland County.

Story via Timesunion.com

For Electrical Safety Audit and Electrical Safety Training visit: 

Martin Technical Electrical Safety Services Arc Flash

Advertisement – Click on Ad to visit Martin Technical

NY: 2 Workers Injured in Hilton Electrical Blast

New York, NY:  An electrical explosion rocked the New York Hilton in midtown Manhattan  Wednesday, leaving three people with injuries and knocking power out for hours,  officials said.  Two workers tending to an electrical panel in the basement of the hotel at  Sixth Ave. and W. 54th St. were hurt in the 1:10 p.m. blast, the FDNY said.  One man was treated at the scene for a head injury and the other was taken  to NY Presbyterian-Weill Cornell Medical Center to be treated for minor burns to  his hands, FDNY officials said.

When the power cut off, a total of nine people were stuck in two elevator  cars for nearly 30 minutes, officials said. One woman who was trapped was  treated for hyperventilation at the scene after firefighters got them out, the  FDNY said.  Although it wasn’t necessary to evacuate the building, some guests were  annoyed by the midday mishap.  “It’s a little bit of an inconvenience, we’re celebrating a birthday,” said  Tony Thompson, 40, who was vacationing from Orlando, FL, with his wife Yolanda  who turned 49 on Wednesday.  “You expect to be in a situation where you can enjoy the amenities.” One man who was staying in the hotel while his TriBeca pad was being  renovated was seen lugging about a dozen suitcases down four flights of  stairs. “We’re just going to another hotel,” said the man, 34, who works in finance  and declined to give his name.

Guests were given water and pizza while they waited for things to return to  normal, the spokesman said. Con Edison crews working into the evening hours to  restore power, a hotel spokesman said, while a generator provided limited  lighting to the 46-story building. The hotel, with 1,981 rooms, was at full  capacity Wednesday, the spokesman said. By 6 p.m., elevators had been restored  up to the 34th floor, allowing guests to retreat to their rooms for the night.  Around 10:30 p.m., power was back on in all floors.

Story via NY Daily News

NY: 2 Electrical Contractors Injured, OSHA Investigating

Binghampton, NY:  One person has been treated and released from Lourdes Hospital following an electrical accident that left two electrical contractors injured on the job Wednesday afternoon.

Lourdes Hospital reported two electrical contractors were injured Wednesday.

One suffered burns and was flown by medical helicopter to Strong Memorial Hospital in Rochester.

It has been determined that both men were employees of MATCO Electric.

MATCO was unable to release the names of the employees, but would says the company was aware of the accident and is working with Lourdes Hospital and OSHA.

According the Binghamton City Fire Marshal, it’s believed that one of the injured men came in contact with 480 volts of electricity encased in steel. That contact caused a flash.

The Fire Marshal has declared the cause accidental.

OSHA, or the Occupational Safety and Health Administration is aware of the incident and has opened an inspection on the accident.

OSHA was unable to give any details on the inspection, but was able to confirm that its at the beginning stages of the inspection.

Source via WBGN.com

NY Worker Fatally Electrocuted While Replacing Gutters

November 6, 2010 Leave a comment

PLAINVIEW, NEW YORK — Police on Long Island say a 21-year-old male worker was electrocuted to death when his aluminum extension ladder struck overhead power lines.

Police say it happened just after 2 p.m. Friday while the man was replacing gutters on Morton Drive in Plainview.

Story via OnlineWSJ.com

OSHA Fines NY Paper Mill Including Electrical Hazards After Fatal Accident

October 25, 2010 Leave a comment

NIAGRA FALLS, NEW YORK – OSHA has issued Norampac Industries Inc. repeat and serious violations following the May 12 death of a worker at the company’s Niagara Falls paper mill. The worker was crushed when he became caught between a fixed metal barrier and a large paper roll that was moving on a conveyor.

Agency inspectors also identified other hazardous conditions not related to the fatality. These included lack of eye and face protection for workers performing voltage testing on live electrical circuits, and unmarked and painted-over electrical disconnects.

Norampac was also cited for not ensuring that confined space supervisors could verify that rescue services were available and able to be contacted in case of an emergency.

Two repeat citations for $70,000 and two serious citations for $5,000 were issued.

Story via Safety.BLR.com