Archive

Posts Tagged ‘North Carolina’

SC: Man Electrocuted

September 12, 2012 Leave a comment

UNION, S.C. — South Carolina authorities are investigating the electrocution of a North Carolina man who died in a utility accident this week.

Thomas Brian Gibson, 47, of Aberdeen was killed late Wednesday while working on an electrical box in the Buffalo community of Union County.

Deputy Coroner John Fallaw says Gibson unresponsive when emergency crews arrived.

Fallaw said he did not know if the worker was employed by the company that serves the area, Lockhart Power, or a utility subcontractor.

Story via The Rocky Mount Telegram

NC Reports 4 Fatal Electrical Work Accidents

January 14, 2011 Leave a comment

North Carolina – The number of fatal work accidents in North Carolina increased from 34 to 48 in 2010, according to a preliminary report from the state’s Department of Labor.

The leading causes of death were being struck by objects, which resulted in 16 fatalities, and falls, which led to 15 deaths. Four were electrocuted.

The year-end total of 48 is below the state’s five-year average of 53.2

The state’s injury and illness rate is currently at an all time low for private industry. It has declined from 5.3 per 100 fulltime workers in 2000 to 3.1 in 2009.

Fatalities in the manufacturing sector declined from eight to six in 2010. Construction deaths increased by one to 15.

Mecklenburg County experienced the most fatalities with seven. Eight other counties had two fatalities: Beaufort, Burke, Cleveland, Gaston, Guilford, Nash, Pitt and Rowan.

Story via NewsObserver.com

Martin Technical Electrical Safety Service

Advertisement - Click on Ad to visit Martin Technical

NC Church Sustains $75K in Damages from Electrical Fire

October 27, 2010 Leave a comment

GREENSBORO, NORTH CAROLINA – A large Wendover Avenue church sustained $75,000 in damage Wednesday morning after an electrical fire broke out in the attic.

Crews responded to Shining Light Baptist Church on 4530 W. Wendover Ave. around 8:40 a.m. Wednesday.

Guilford County fire marshal Alan Perdue said the fire seems to have started with an electrical junction box in the attic, and crews had to cut a hole in the roof in order to gain access to the attic.

There was smoke and water damage to the sanctuary, Perdue said. The neighboring Shining Light Academy was not affected by the fire.

Story via myfox8.com