Posts Tagged ‘PA’

PA: Arc Flash Victim Recovering

February 18, 2013 Leave a comment

Bensalem, PA:  A man critically burned last month in an electrical explosion at a Bensalem carpet business is recovering at Temple University’s Burn Center.

Bensalem Battalion Chief Rob Sponheimer is not releasing the man’s name, but said he was burned over 60 percent of his body in the Jan. 17 fire at Adams Carpet, off Street Road near Hulmeville Road.

An employee of the carpet business was also burned, but not as severely, as he helped to put the flames out on the contractor with a fire extinguisher.

Sponheimer said the contractor was working inside a three-phase electrical panel when one of his tools came in contact with the back of the panel, causing an arc-flash.

The arc-flash ignited the contractor’s clothing and hair.

“These types of arc-flashes can reach temperatures above 5,000 degrees, have a great amount of energy associated with them and have a blinding flash and deafening noise,” Sponheimer said.

An arc-flash occurs when electrical insulation or isolation between conductors is broken or can no longer withstand the applied voltage, according to The National Fire Protection Association.

Sponheimer did not say if the carpet store employee was still hospitalized.

Story via

Visit Martin Technical for Arc Flash Hazard Analysis:

Martin Technical Electrical Safety Services Arc Flash

Advertisement – Click on Ad to visit Martin Technical

PA: Electrical Fire Shuts Gabriel Brothers Down

December 21, 2012 Leave a comment

York, PA: An electrical fire Wednesday afternoon closed businesses in a Springettsbury Township shopping plaza.

Fire crews were dispatched to Gabriel Brothers, 1226 Greensprings Drive, just after 4 p.m. for the fire, said Robert McCoy, chief of York Area United Fire and Rescue.

They arrived to find that an electrical box and transformer had overloaded, causing a small fire, he said.

All stores and businesses in the plaza were evacuated and power was shut off to the plaza as Met-Ed crews worked to isolate and fix the problem.

Damage was contained to electrical components, McCoy said.

Power had been restored to most businesses but Greensprings Family Medicine was still without power on Thursday morning, McCoy said.

Story via

Fire Department / Utilities Discuss Power Lines

January 12, 2011 Leave a comment

Fire Department & Utility Discuss Delays in Shutting Down Power Lines after 2009 Electrical Accident of Fireman


Scranton, PA – Representatives from the Scranton Fire Department and PPL Electric Utilities met last week to discuss solutions to the issue of PPL’s sometimes-belated response to fires and plan to meet again next week.

Scranton Deputy Fire Chief Allen Lucas said the meeting Wednesday at PPL’s facility on Larch Street aimed to “pinpoint deficiencies on both ends.”

What Deputy Chief Lucas called a “brainstorm session” produced “a lot of good ideas,” though the two plan to meet again next week along with representatives of the Lackawanna County Communications Center to iron out the details of proposed pilot programs, he said.

“We’re going to try to design some new procedures to put in place that, hopefully, might be the catalyst for the entire county to try and improve all of the deficiencies,” Deputy Chief Lucas said.

The issue came to a head after a Dec. 16 fire at Pittston Avenue and East Elm Street. Fire Chief Tom Davis raised concerns about PPL’s response to that fire, citing a nearly 40-minute delay in shutting off electrical lines after the arrival of the first fire crews.

PPL spokesman Richard Beasley said at the time that the utility company felt its 25-minute response from when its records show it was notified of the fire was “timely.”

While no one was hurt as a result of the delay, it would not have been the first time if someone had been.

On Jan. 6, 2008, city fire Capt. James Robeson was electrocuted when the ladder truck bucket he was in came into contact with a 12,400-volt overhead power line while fighting a fire on Ash Street.

Findings from a National Institute for Occupational Safety and Health released in 2009 found mixed communication between PPL and the Fire Department helped cause the devastating accident. The utility company reported the power lines were de-energized, but the Fire Department did not verify which lines had been de-energized, the report found.

“The biggest thing is just going to be in communication and timely communication on both ends,” Deputy Chief Lucas said of last week’s meeting. “It all comes down to communication.”

Mr. Beasley agreed with Deputy Chief Lucas’ assessment of the discussion.

“The overall emphasis is going to focus on how to communicate better, making sure that all parties know what’s expected of them and how to best meet those expectations,” said Mr. Beasley, who was at the meeting.

Story via

Martin Technical Electrical Safety Service

Advertisement - Click on Ad to visit Martin Technical

2 Men Shocked in IN Installing Light Fixtures

January 10, 2011 Leave a comment

Indiana Township, PA – Two people were hospitalized as a result of an industrial accident Thursday afternoon at Medrad Inc. in Indiana Township, according to Allegheny County emergency dispatchers.

A company spokeswoman said two men working for an electrical contractor were installing light fixtures about 1:30 p.m. when one of them came into contact with a live electrical source.

He was shocked and suffered burns on his hands, the spokeswoman said. The second electrician came to his aid, and that man was shocked, too.

The first man was hospitalized for treatment of his injuries, and the second man was taken to a hospital as a precaution, she said.

No further details on the incident were available.

Story via

Martin Technical Electrical Safety Service

Advertisement - Click on Ad to visit Martin Technical

Man Shocked in PA Working on Light Ballast

December 30, 2010 Leave a comment

INDIANA TWP., Pa. — Allegheny County 911 dispatchers said that a 20-year-old man was knocked unconscious after being electrocuted by a light ballast in Indiana Township.

The incident happened at Medrad Inc., around 2 p.m. on Thursday.

Dispatchers said that the man had to be rescued from the roof of a building.

The man was taken to a Pittsburgh hospital in critical condition.  

Indiana Township police are investigating the incident

Story via

Free Electrical Safety Resources

PA Man Electrocuted Climbing Pole to Steal Copper Wire

December 16, 2010 Leave a comment

PALMERTON, Pa. — A Bethlehem man was found dead after police said he was climbing a power pole and came in contact with a live wire.

It happened just before midnight Saturday on the property of Horsehead Industries in Palmerton.

Police said they received reports of a man injured while attempting to cut copper wire from a pole.

When they arrived on scene, they found the body of 30-year-old Jojo M. Sullivan of Bethlehem.

The Carbon County Coroner said Sullivan died from a fatal electric shock, and pronounced him dead at the scene.

Palmerton Police continue to investigate the incident.

Story via

PA Man Electrocuted Working at Self Storage Facility

December 6, 2010 Leave a comment

Frankford, PA – A man was electrocuted at a storage facility in Frankford Saturday afternoon, according to police. The 44-year-old man, whose identity was not released, was an employee at Devon Self Storage on Eadom Street near Bridge. He was working on a door hinge near a power line when he was electrocuted around 2 p.m. He was pronounced dead at the scene at 2:24 p.m., according to police

Read more:
Watch sports videos you won’t find anywhere else

Family Sues Verizon & Allegheny Energy After Electrocution

December 1, 2010 Leave a comment

PITTSBURGH, PA – The family of a Monessen man electrocuted nearly two years ago while he installed cable in a Fayette County community has filed a lawsuit claiming he worked in an unsafe environment.

Ralph Greely died Jan. 6, 2009, when a cable was placed too close to energized power lines, creating a deadly arc that struck Greely as he worked in a bucket truck near Simpson Road in Redstone Township.

Greely, 51, worked as an installer for U.S. Utility Contractor Co. of Ellicott City, Md., which was hired by Verizon for the Fayette County job.

In the wrongful death lawsuit, Greely’s family contends Verizon and Allegheny Energy were negligent in allowing the work at that job site to proceed without first cutting the power to those lines.

“Both Verizon and Allegheny knew or should have recognized that the work at this location was likely to create a risk of death or serious harm unless the lines were de-energized or special precautions were taken,” according to the lawsuit.

In the lawsuit, the Greely estate claims that Verizon failed to make sure that power was cut to the lines at the work site, did not provide safe locations where cables could be attached and failed to take other safety precautions.

Allegheny Energy did not cut power to the job site or inspect or assess the location for potential dangers, and failed to provide protective measures, according to the lawsuit.

Verizon spokesman Lee Gierczynski declined to comment on the lawsuit. Allegheny Energy representatives could not be reached for comment.

Greely’s estate is seeking an unspecified amount in compensatory and punitive damages.

Story via