Archive

Posts Tagged ‘Pakistan’

6 Die in Electrical Accident When Crane Contacts Wires at Factory

December 1, 2011 Leave a comment

LAHORE, Pakistan:  Six labourers died and three were injured after receiving electric shock while working at a factory that manufactures spare parts for cars.

The incident occurred in the Nishtar Colony police precinct late night on Friday.

The deceased were identified as Razzaq, Ijaz, Zulfiqar, Usman, Asif and Sabir.  The injured labourers have been identified as Tariq, Shoaib and Allah Rakha.

On Friday night, a consignment of goods arrived at the factory. The nine labourers were helping off-load the delivery. They were holding on to iron chains when the lower sheave and hook of the crane came in contact with exposed electric wires, according to an eyewitness, Rashid. “The crane hook came in contact with electric wires while the machinery was being shifted to the first floor. It happened suddenly,” he said. Other labourers present at that time called rescue officials who rushed the labourers to General Hospital where six of them succumbed to burn injuries. Doctors say that Tariq, Shoaib and Allah Rakha are in critical condition. The families of the victims refused to take the bodies home for burial. They are demanding that the factory owner pay them compensation.

Police said that the driver of the crane managed to escape. An official said they had arrested Hafeez, an employee of the company that had provided the. The police hope that Hafeez will help them in apprehending the crane driver.

Story via The Express Tribune

Youth Electrocuted by Cutting Machine

February 15, 2011 Leave a comment

Chack Chawant, Pakistan –  A youth was electrocuted at Chak Chawant on Monday.

Muhammad Zubair was cutting fodder from an electric machine when suddenly his hands touched a livewire. As a result, he received electric shocks and died on the spot.

Story via TheNews.com.pk

3 Workers Dead, 3 Injured in Pakistan When Tent Pole Hits Electrical Wire

November 18, 2010 Leave a comment

LAHORE, PAKISTAN – Three labourers were electrocuted while three others suffered severe shocks when an iron pole being erected for a wedding ceremony touched the live electric wires near Tajpura in Shadbagh police limits on Saturday.

Police investigators disclosed that the victims including Naveed, resident of Sialkot, Mohsin, resident of Chiniot, Munawar, resident of Begum Kot, Shujaud Din, resident of Toba Tek Singh, Mohammad Hafeez, resident of Gulshan-e-Ravi and an unidentified man were hired from Bhati Chowk by a local tent service.
While talking to TheNation, Sub-Inspector (SI) Khalid Mehmood, who visited the site, said the deceased Naveed, Mohsin and one other, yet to be identified were hired by one Malik Naeem, owner of Usman Tent Service located in Sanda, but all of the deceased were untrained in this profession.

He said the owner fully knew about their inexperienced background before he hired them after promising to pay Rs 300 per person on daily basis.

Earlier, six persons were hired by Malik Naeem from Bhati Chowk and were sent with a marriage party to make arrangements at Tajpura on Saturday morning.

“In fact, Abdul Rehman, resident of Taj-Park and a goldsmith by profession, gave contract to one Malik Naeem for the arrangements of wedding of her daughter. But Malik Naeem further awarded contract to one Mujahid who hired the said labourers, who were ignorant from the catering,” sources close to the investigators said.
They were erecting tent at Tajpura ground when a pole mistakenly touched the live electric wires, as a result of which all of them received severe shocks. A few people also witnessed the dreadful scene when these labourers were shuddering owing to electric shocks at about 11:15 am but none of them dared to rescue them, a witness said requesting not to be named. He, however, believed three people had already breathed their last when the rescue teams reached the site.
Later, Edhi ambulances and Rescue 1122 officials reached the site and shifted the injured people to a nearby hospital where their condition was told out of danger till filing of this report.

The SI Khalid Mehmood claimed to have arrested the owner of Usman Tent Service Malik Naeem and a case (920/10) had been registered against him.

The bodies of three people were removed to the City morgue for autopsy and the heirs of the deceased had also been informed about the untoward incident. Further investigation is underway.

Story via The Nation

Pakistani Man Killed in Electrical Accident

November 1, 2010 Leave a comment

ISLAMABAD, PAKISTAN – A 27-year-old labourer was electrocuted when he received electric shock in the limits of Aabpara Police Station on Monday.

According to police, Kifayat Ullah s/o Habib Khan, who had been residing near PIA stop Aabpara, was working in Rafique Autos in G-6 where construction was underway. He received electric shock by water motor and was shifted to Polyclinic where doctors announced him dead.

Muhammad Nawaz, relative of Kifayat ullah, received the dead body and told the police that he did not want to register a First Information Report (FIR). After legal process, the body was taken to Bhakhar, native city of the dead.

Electric Shock Kills Pakistani Man Working on Home Appliances

October 18, 2010 Leave a comment

KARACHI, PAKISTAN –  A child was crushed to death in Zafar Town on Sunday. The Shah Latif police said a man was electrocuted near the Azeem Medical store. The Baloch Colony police said Shahzaib, 32, was working on home appliances at his house when he received electric shocks and died immediately.

Story via DailyTimes.com.pk