Archive

Posts Tagged ‘Phillipines’

1 Worker Killed, 6 Injured in Electrical Accident in Phillipines

December 7, 2011 Leave a comment

Valenzuela City, Phillipines – One worker died and six others were hurt after a metallic round bar they were trying to attach to a wooden structure in a construction site hit a high-voltage transmission wire late Monday afternoon inValenzuela City.

Police named the fatality as Larry Ortega, 23, of Quezon province.

Those who were injured were identified as Jonathan Valenzuela, Jimmy Monares, Charlito Mepieza, Marlon Asidillo, Basilio Sedorio and Noli Patag.

The five are now confined atValenzuela Medical Center, said Police Officer 3 Dalton Rodriguez, case investigator.

Deadly contact

The accident happened at Cowloon Compound in Tatalon, Barangay (village) Ugong.

According to the police report, the contact between the high-voltage wire and the metallic bar sent electric shocks to six workers who were holding the bar.

Upon seeing this, Ortega rushed to help Valenzuela, the person nearest him, but he was electrocuted in the process.

Fellow construction workers managed to take the victims to the hospital, but Ortega was declared dead on arrival, Rodriguez said.

Electric currents

“Of the victims, only Ortega’s body did not release the electric currents trapped inside. That’s why he died. When you get electrocuted, your body has to release the currents,” he explained.

Work in the area resumed after what the police official called was an “unfortunate industrial accident.”

Senior Police Officer 3 Jess Sagisi, senior investigator, said that the other six who remain confined in the hospital were already in stable condition.

Story via Phillipine Daily Inquirer

Advertisements

3 Family Members Electrocuted in Phillipines

November 11, 2010 Leave a comment

MANILA, Philippines – A father and his two sons died after being electrocuted in Cagayan province Tuesday, but police said the incident was not related to the rains in the area.

In a phone interview Wednesday, provincial police chief Senior Superintendent Mao Aplasca said Antonio Saring and his two sons Elton and Apolinario died after being electrocuted from their clothesline made from wire in Barangay (village) Sapping, Calamaniugan town.

Investigation revealed that Antonio’s daughter Amalia was hanging clothes from their clothesline shortly before 6 a.m. when she was suddenly electrocuted. The wire was apparently connected to a steel pipe from their neighbor that was also close to the CAGELCO main line.

The CAGELCO line was apparently grounded, causing the electrocution.

Antonio was able to save his daughter from electrocution but ended up being electrocuted himself, Aplasca said.

His two sons tried to save him but were also electrocuted.

The three were brought to the hospital but were pronounced dead on arrival.

Aplasca said they are looking at the possible liability of CAGELCO as they should have made sure that all their electrical lines are functioning properly.

Story via newsinfo.inquirer.net

Phillipine Man Dies in Electrical Accident When Main Line Not Shut Off

October 21, 2010 Leave a comment

ILOILO CITY, PHILLIPINES – A tanod member of Brgy. Pili, Ajuy, Iloilo was electrocuted while fixing the electric line of their barangay on Tuesday.  Claudio Reduble, 30, succumbed to third degree burns.

Reduble was brought to a health clinic but the attending physician pronounced him dead.

Insp. Chester Burlongan, Ajuy police chief, said the victim forgot to switch off the main line before fixing the electric line.

Story via thenewstoday.info