Archive

Posts Tagged ‘pole’

2 Utility Workers Electrocuted in India in Separate Accidents

February 15, 2011 Leave a comment
KEONJHAR, INDIA : Two persons were electrocuted while working on electrical lines in Champua and Baria police station areas.

The two have been identified as Sadasiba Naik (45) and Binod Mohanta (40). The incident was took place around 7 pm on Thursday at separate locations, about 40 km from here. While Sadasiba Naik, a line man, died at Ukhunda village in Baria, while working on a 11-KV line, Binod Mohanta, a relative a line man at Chauthia in Champua was electrocuted while repairing a similar 11-KV line.

Sadasiba was working on the line, when the shock hurtled him off the pole, sending him rolling to the ground. Binod was, however, found hanging from the pole after being electrocuted.

The incidents have angered the villagers of Chauthia and nearby areas who on Friday staged a protest and gheraoed the executive engineer of Nesco and other officers of the department, demanding compensation for the families. They villagers did not allow the police to take down Binod’s body from the pole.

Sources said that after electricity supply from Rimuli substation was disrupted, these two men were sent to carry out some repair work, when a sudden surge of electricity killed them.

Police arrived on the spot on Thursday night, but the villagers refused to hand over the bodies. They demanded compensation of about `5 lakh for Binod’s family, who were residents of Chauthia. Binod was not an employee of the department. Hiring him to do the repair work should not have been allowed, claimed the villagers.

“They were repairing the line after the supply was shit down. The line, on which they were working, suddenly got charged when a wire from another feeder line fell on it,” Nesco superintendent engineer Nirmal Das said. “The actual cause can be ascertained only after an investigation,” he said, adding, “Action will be taken against the lineman who allowed the villagers to repair the line,” SE added.

Sources alleged that the deaths were caused due to the negligence of department.

Incidentally, about six persons, including two children, have died due to electrocution within a span of a few years. Meanwhile, people of the area say power cuts and failures have risen in the area. They are demanding separate electrical sections by installing a sub-station at Ukhunda to cater to the electrical need of that area. At present, the area is under Rimuli electrical section.

Free Electrical Safety Resources

Click Logo for Free Resources

Advertisements

Electrician Killed While Not Wearing Right PPE

January 22, 2011 Leave a comment

Northern Territory, Australia – ¬†WorkSafe says a man who died in Darwin’s rural area was electrocuted when he touched a damaged wire.

The 66-year-old electrician was called to a house in Howard Springs last Thursday, to repair a power line damaged by a storm.

WorkSafe says tree branches had fallen on the line and the man was electrocuted when he tried to reconnect it with a power pole.

WorkSafe says the man wasn’t using the right protective equipment and didn’t have the tools to check if the line was damaged.

WorkSafe has issued a safety alert, urging all contractors to be extremely careful when working with damaged power lines.

Story via abc.net.au

45 Faulty Light Poles Found in Seattle

January 12, 2011 Leave a comment

SEATTLE, WA¬†— Seattle City Light has uncovered more shock hazards from faulty light poles.

Crews inspecting metal light posts for shock hazards in Seattle found 45 problems, some with street light poles and others involving traffic signs.

Inspectors registered 100 volts coming off a faulty pole at one intersection in the International District. Another pole at Boren and Marion had voltage in the 105-volt range.

It was 90 volts that electrocuted a dog in Queen Anne. Sammy died Thanksgiving Day when he stepped on an energized sidewalk plate. Crews blame a lack of grounding and a pinched wire.

After several other complaints, the city hired two contractors to inspect all of the utility’s 30,000 metal poles and ground plates.

“We wanted to get it completed as quickly as we could, and we felt if we divided up the city between two different contractors, we probably could accomplish that in a quicker period of time,” said Suzanne Hartman.

The quick inspection process has cost the utility $300,000 so far.

“It’s not expensive when you consider the long term benefit for the customers and the city,” Hartman said.

But the city hasn’t yet added up the cost of overtime for city light crews making rounds with the inspectors and making repairs.

The inspectors, who look for anything above 30 volts, have found 45 shock hazards, more than half of which were emitting more than 50 volts.

“About half of the ones that we’ve discovered with the elevated voltage — we’ve been able to repair right on the spot. And the other half — we’ll have to come back and do something more extensive,” Hartman said.

Hartman says anything not yet repaired has been de-energized or turned off until it is fixed.

Story via KomoNews.com

Free Electrical Safety Resources

Click Logo for Free Resources