Archive

Posts Tagged ‘power’

Overhead Electrical Lines Fall Causing Injury

March 14, 2012 Leave a comment

Passengers on a SEPTA trackless trolley suffered a brief scare when overhead electrical lines fell onto the vehicle Monday afternoon in Northeast Philadelphia, officials said.

Four blocks of overhead wires were knocked down, said SEPTA spokesman Andrew Busch.

About 3:10 p.m. the Route 66 trackless trolley was on Frankford Avenue at Harbison Avenue when a truck crossing the intersection knocked down the wires powering the SEPTA vehicle, said passenger Walter Hansley, 54.

The driver yelled “Don’t move! Don’t move! Don’t touch nothing metal!” Hansley recalled.

About a half-dozen passengers stayed on the trolley for about five minutes, He said. When the passengers complained about being trapped on the trolley, the driver let them out, but advised then “to jump off” so as not to touch anything, Hansley said.

Busch said that overhead wires also came down on other vehicles on Frankford Avenue. One minor injury was reported, he said.

Accidents such as this are monitored by SEPTA’s control center and the section of wire is quickly turned off, Busch said.

Story via Philly.com

Advertisements

Electrician Killed While Not Wearing Right PPE

January 22, 2011 Leave a comment

Northern Territory, Australia –  WorkSafe says a man who died in Darwin’s rural area was electrocuted when he touched a damaged wire.

The 66-year-old electrician was called to a house in Howard Springs last Thursday, to repair a power line damaged by a storm.

WorkSafe says tree branches had fallen on the line and the man was electrocuted when he tried to reconnect it with a power pole.

WorkSafe says the man wasn’t using the right protective equipment and didn’t have the tools to check if the line was damaged.

WorkSafe has issued a safety alert, urging all contractors to be extremely careful when working with damaged power lines.

Story via abc.net.au

Man Electrocuted Traveling on Top of Train

January 12, 2011 Leave a comment

Mumbai, India –  A 25-year-old man on the rooftop of a local was electrocuted in Vasai this morning, railway officials said.

The victim Aviram Chaudhari, who was travelling in a Borivali bound local, died at around 0830 hours, they said.

“The person was electrocuted as he was travelling on therooftop of Virar-Borivali train this morning. It is really sad that despite creating awareness about the risk of travelling on rooftop, people travel on it,” Western Railway Chief PROSharat Chandrayan said.

“The victim was badly burnt so we had to switch off powerto bring him down from the roof. We have informed his familymembers,” Chandrayan said.

Story via NewsOneIndia.com

NJ State Agency Orders Utilities to Assess Contact Voltage Threats

December 7, 2010 Leave a comment

NJ – In New York City a few years ago, a woman walking along the streets stepped onto a manhole cover and was electrocuted. In Baltimore, the 14-year-old daughter of a former NFL football player died after she touched an electrified fence at a softball game. Probably, neither had ever heard of the phenomenon known as contact voltage.

The state is ordering its four electric utilities to determine whether contact voltage, or faults in a power system that can prove hazardous to humans and pets, is a problem that needs to be dealt with in New Jersey.

The Board of Public Utilities (BPU) yesterday directed the companies to assess the extent of the problem and to recommend if there should be better reporting of cases involving electric shock with energized objects.

Some commissioners called the assessment long overdue, given the risks associated with the issue.

“It’s a sad state of affairs when we have to order utilities to look at safety issues in their own infrastructure,” said BPU Commissioner Nicholas Asselta, at a bimonthly meeting of the state agency in its Trenton offices. “I hope this is a wake-up call for the utilities.”

The agency has been examining the problem since it first began holding stakeholder hearings with the utilities and other interested parties this past August. At the time, the utilities said the state’s current rules are adequate to deal with any potential problems, which they argued were minimal at most.

More Than 400 Threats Detected

That view was countered by Power Survey Company, a Kearny-based company that provides detection services to help root out contact voltage problems. It conducted a survey of 33 urban municipalities, mostly in northern New Jersey, and detected 408 energized objects, according to a presentation it made to the agency in August.

Contact voltage is mostly a problem in urban areas where underground wires are buried and the infrastructure is aging, with a lot of foot traffic creating potential situations where contact with energized objects, such as manhole covers, streetlights and parking meters, is more common. In addition to aging, objects can become energized because of accidents and faulty workmanship.

New Jersey’s largest utility, Public Service Electric & Gas (PSE&G), said it will furnish the agency with further information regarding its limited experiences with contact voltage, according to Bonnie Sheppard, spokeswoman. The utility recently surveyed all of its streetlight poles and randomly sampled its manholes for contact voltage. It does spot inspections of its equipment every year.

An Underground Issue

“We have never had a reportable incident involving contact voltage causing injury to members of the public, employees or contractors,” Sheppard said. “Moreover, contact voltage concerns electric utility underground infrastructure and, unlike New York City, most of New Jersey’s electric utility distribution infrastructure, including PSE&G’s, is overhead.”

Ron Morano, a spokesman for Jersey Central Power & Light Co., the state’s second-largest utility, with more than 1 million customers, said the utility has not yet seen the written order, but added, “We understand it applies mainly to underground networks in urban areas. We have limited exposure to those situations.”

BPU President Lee Solomon noted the agency does not yet know the extent of problems with contact voltage, but Asselta said it has been a big problem in New York. Commissioner Jeanne Fox urged the agency’s staff to find out how the neighboring state has dealt with the problem.

According to Power Survey, contact voltage test programs and reporting requirements do exist in other states. After the death in New York City, the New York Public Service Commission mandated that all NY cities with populations in excess of 50,000 be scanned for contact voltage via mobile detection, because it was shown that mobile detection is more effective and less costly than any other means of detection.

Story via njspotlight.com

CA Boy Causes Electrical Arc at Ice Rink

December 6, 2010 Leave a comment

Temecula, CA – The outdoor ice-skating rink in Old Town Temecula is safe following Sunday’s incident in which electricity arced from a nearby power supply source, the rink’s manager said this morning.

No one was reported hurt in the incident, which forced the 50-by-70-foot rink’s closure for several hours.

Meagin Ramiro, who manages the rink for Colton-based Studio 33, said a young boy on a scooter accidentally came in contact with a rod sticking about 6 inches out of the ground. At the same time, the boy touched a city electrical box, causing electricity to arc, she said.

Ramiro, who was on site, said she immediately called 911. The boy was checked out and the rink evacuated as a precaution, she said.

Ramiro said the rod, which might have been driven through live wires, had nothing to do with the rink’s operation. The rink relies on a generator for its power, she said.

She added she offered refunds or return passes to the affected skaters. The rod has since been sawed off so it is level with the ground, she said.

“(The accident) was a complete fluke,” Ramiro said.

Story via pe.com

2 in India Die of High Voltage Electric Shock at Home

October 30, 2010 Leave a comment

KARWAR, INDIA – Two fishermen died and two injured of electric shock due to high voltage flow in their switchboard at their residences in Karwar.

The deceased were identified as Shankar Peru Durgekar(39) and Theku Harikantara (50) both were fishermen.

According to the sources, at about 4 am Theku was getting ready to go for fishing when he heard the TV set exploding and when he tried to put off the TV switch, he suffered electric shock and died. His wife Godavari and daughter Ranjita, who tried to rescue him, suffered serious injuries and have been admitted to Karwar civil hospital.

Another deceased Shankar Peru Durgekar was the neighbourer of Theku , who was also died when he tried to switch off the board after noticing the sound in a fan. A case of negligence has been filed against Hubli Electric Supply Company (HESCOM) which supplies power to Uttar Kannada district.

Story via SahilOnline.org