Archive

Posts Tagged ‘Rail’

Man Electrocuted Traveling on Top of Train

January 12, 2011 Leave a comment

Mumbai, India –  A 25-year-old man on the rooftop of a local was electrocuted in Vasai this morning, railway officials said.

The victim Aviram Chaudhari, who was travelling in a Borivali bound local, died at around 0830 hours, they said.

“The person was electrocuted as he was travelling on therooftop of Virar-Borivali train this morning. It is really sad that despite creating awareness about the risk of travelling on rooftop, people travel on it,” Western Railway Chief PROSharat Chandrayan said.

“The victim was badly burnt so we had to switch off powerto bring him down from the roof. We have informed his familymembers,” Chandrayan said.

Story via NewsOneIndia.com

Homeless Man Electrocuted on Rail Tracks

January 8, 2011 Leave a comment

WASHINGTON HEIGHTS, NY – An apparently homeless man was electrocuted on the third rail at the 1 train tracks at the 181st Street station Thursday, officials said.

A conductor on a northbound 1 train spotted the man, who officials have not identified, standing in the path of the oncoming train at the St. Nicholas Ave. and 181st Street station shortly after 8 a.m., according to Transit Supervisor John Boldt.

The driver braked to a halt in time to avoid hitting the man, who ran toward the southbound tracks and was electrocuted on the third rail, Bolt said.

Workers cut down the power to the third rail immediately, and sent crews in to retrieve the body and bring it back to the platform, where medical personnel were waiting, Boldt said. The man was not identified.

The MTA did not immediately return calls for comment.

The description of events differs from what a transit worker at the subway station described earlier, in a version of events that did not end in the man’s death.

Service on the 1 train was restored shortly after 9:30 a.m., witnesses said.

Boldt said the conductor of the northbound 1 train and another conductor of a southbound train that was further away from the scene will follow protocol and be tested for drugs and alcohol, even though it does not appear they did anything wrong.

Both conductors have requested medical attention because they are so shaken up by the gruesome death, Boldt said.

Story via DNAInfo.com
Free Electrical Safety Resources

Click Logo for Free Resources

MA Man Electrocuted Near Railroad

December 4, 2010 Leave a comment

WILLIAMSTOWN, MA –  A 53-year-old Cheshire man died Thursday afternoon after being electrocuted on or near the railroad tracks a few hundred yards south of the Cole Avenue intersection with North Hoosac Road, authorities confirmed Friday.

Danny Beiso died about 1 p.m., according to Berkshire District Attorney David Capeless, who said he could report very few details due to an ongoing investigation. “It appears he was accidentally electrocuted, and we’re at this point investigating the circumstances of how this occurred,” Capeless said.

He said there did not appear to be any safety hazard along the railroad tracks where Beiso’s death occurred, however.

A friend who was with Beiso at the time said they had been out scouting for deer, Capeless said. Numerous sources say that Calvin Hebert was with Beiso at the time. Hebert could not be reached for comment Friday. Dr. Benjamin Glick, Berkshire County medical examiner, performed an autopsy Friday at Berkshire Medical Center and determined that the cause of death was electrocution. Glick said that Beiso was pronounced dead in the emergency room of North Adams Regional Hospital. According to the Williamstown Police Department’s log, Village Ambulance responded to a call at 1:09 p.m. for medical help at Cole Avenue from both the Pan Am Rail Police and Hebert. Beiso was no stranger to police agencies in at least two towns, local authorities said Friday, though they declined to mention why. According to Transcript files, Beiso was found guilty in 1985 on charges of assault and battery on a police officer, trespassing and disorderly conduct and ordered to serve 30 days of a six-month sentence. The balance of the sentence was suspended with probation for one year. As a condition of probation, he was ordered to obtain alcohol counseling.

In January of 1999, Beiso won $150,000 in the Big Game state lottery according to Transcript files. He was one number away from a $35 million jackpot and bought the ticket at Chaput News and Variety on Summer Street in Adams.

Story via BerkshireEagle.com

Court Hearing Case of Liverpool Boy Electrocuted by 25,000 Volts

November 1, 2010 Leave a comment

LIVERPOOL, ENGLAND – An inquest heard how a teenager died instantly when he was hit by 25,000 volts as he clambered on disused rolling stock at a railway depot in Liverpool.

Liam Gill, 13, was electrocuted by the massive charge of electricity that hit him when he came close to overhead lines after he scrambled along the roof of a freight wagon.

The popular schoolboy, whose nickname was “Dudda”, was with two pals when the tragedy happened in August 2009, Liverpool Coroner’s court has heard.

A jury heard how the trio gained access to sidings at Allerton last year though a gap in perimeter security fencing.

One of the boys, now aged 15, who cannot be named for legal reasons, told his account of the tragedy that happened around 5pm on Sunday 9th August 2009.

Questioned by Coroner Andre Rebello, the dark-haired youth, wearing a grey t-shirt, spoke in a low voice.

He said: “We went through a gap in the railings. There was a cabin with grafitti sprayed all over it and chairs where you could sit down.

“We went inside the cabin and sat down for five minutes. We then climbed a ladder and got on top of the carriage. I went up first and the other two followed.

“We walked along the top of the train, walking towards the railings to get out.

“I was walking along first, and then Liam and then the other lad.

“We were walking along the centre of the curved roof. When we got to the end we could hear a ticking sound, when we got close to the wire.

“We sat down to drop off the carriage and Liam went to the other side.

“We heard a loud bang. Me and the other lad were both burnt so we ran-off.

“We couldn’t see Liam so we called for him a few times. We walked back because he wasn’t answering.

“We found him on the left hand side of the wagon. I tied my shirt around his head and ran to phone the ambulance.”

The court had heard that the youth suffered severe burns to his left arm.

Asked by the coroner whether he knew that he should not have been on the railway the teenager replied: “I know I wasn’t allowed on there.”

Mr Roger Kennedy, a solicitor representing EWS Railways, asked the youth if he had seen signs warning of the danger from overhead lines.

The replied: “No. I didn’t think the lines were live because it was a old wagon that is not used.”

The jury of two men and nine women were shown a series of photographs of the Allerton Freight Yard and a photograph of a warning sign was shown to the teenager.

Mr Kennedy said that the three boys had walked past five warning signs to get to the carriage, including two by the ladder they had climbed,

Mr Kennedy said: “Do you understand that sign means danger?” To which the youth replied “Yes”.

Pathologist Dr Jo-Louise McPartland said that Liam would have died instantly from electrocution.

She said: “With such a high voltage there would have been an abnormality in the heart. The heart would have stopped completely.

“The very high temperatures caused tissue damage. As soon as the power entered his body he would have died.”

Liam was a pupil at St Benedict’s RC High School, in Garston, and where he was a keen sporstsman.

His mother Linda Gill, had earlier told how she had performed the grim duty of identifying his charred remains at Alder Hey Hospital.

Cleaner Linda said: “I went to the hospital and I was anxious. I was taken into a room and a nurse came back. She took hold of me and said ‘I’m sorry your son is dead.’

“I started being hysterical and they picked me up off the floor. I was in complete shock.”

“Liam was a really lovely boy. He was a really nice. He was a well-liked lad and had lots of friends.

“Hopefully lessons will be learned and it will never happen again.”

The inquest continues and is expected to last until Wednesday.

Story via Click Liverpool.com

NY Transit Worker Injured by Electrical Shock

October 18, 2010 Leave a comment

BROOKLYN, NEW YORK – A transit worker was burned early this morning in a Brooklyn rail yard when he came into contact with the third rail while making repairs.

The transit worker was inspecting a train shoe that had sheared off when he came into contact with the electrified rail at 2:00 a.m. in the East New York yard on Linwood Street near Hegeman Street, officials said.

The worker was rushed to Brookdale Hospital with burns to his arm. Transit officials are investigating why part of the train remained electrified while the employee was conducting maintenance.

Story via New York Post