Archive

Posts Tagged ‘Railroad’

MA Man Electrocuted Near Railroad

December 4, 2010 Leave a comment

WILLIAMSTOWN, MA –  A 53-year-old Cheshire man died Thursday afternoon after being electrocuted on or near the railroad tracks a few hundred yards south of the Cole Avenue intersection with North Hoosac Road, authorities confirmed Friday.

Danny Beiso died about 1 p.m., according to Berkshire District Attorney David Capeless, who said he could report very few details due to an ongoing investigation. “It appears he was accidentally electrocuted, and we’re at this point investigating the circumstances of how this occurred,” Capeless said.

He said there did not appear to be any safety hazard along the railroad tracks where Beiso’s death occurred, however.

A friend who was with Beiso at the time said they had been out scouting for deer, Capeless said. Numerous sources say that Calvin Hebert was with Beiso at the time. Hebert could not be reached for comment Friday. Dr. Benjamin Glick, Berkshire County medical examiner, performed an autopsy Friday at Berkshire Medical Center and determined that the cause of death was electrocution. Glick said that Beiso was pronounced dead in the emergency room of North Adams Regional Hospital. According to the Williamstown Police Department’s log, Village Ambulance responded to a call at 1:09 p.m. for medical help at Cole Avenue from both the Pan Am Rail Police and Hebert. Beiso was no stranger to police agencies in at least two towns, local authorities said Friday, though they declined to mention why. According to Transcript files, Beiso was found guilty in 1985 on charges of assault and battery on a police officer, trespassing and disorderly conduct and ordered to serve 30 days of a six-month sentence. The balance of the sentence was suspended with probation for one year. As a condition of probation, he was ordered to obtain alcohol counseling.

In January of 1999, Beiso won $150,000 in the Big Game state lottery according to Transcript files. He was one number away from a $35 million jackpot and bought the ticket at Chaput News and Variety on Summer Street in Adams.

Story via BerkshireEagle.com

Advertisements

Court Hearing Case of Liverpool Boy Electrocuted by 25,000 Volts

November 1, 2010 Leave a comment

LIVERPOOL, ENGLAND – An inquest heard how a teenager died instantly when he was hit by 25,000 volts as he clambered on disused rolling stock at a railway depot in Liverpool.

Liam Gill, 13, was electrocuted by the massive charge of electricity that hit him when he came close to overhead lines after he scrambled along the roof of a freight wagon.

The popular schoolboy, whose nickname was “Dudda”, was with two pals when the tragedy happened in August 2009, Liverpool Coroner’s court has heard.

A jury heard how the trio gained access to sidings at Allerton last year though a gap in perimeter security fencing.

One of the boys, now aged 15, who cannot be named for legal reasons, told his account of the tragedy that happened around 5pm on Sunday 9th August 2009.

Questioned by Coroner Andre Rebello, the dark-haired youth, wearing a grey t-shirt, spoke in a low voice.

He said: “We went through a gap in the railings. There was a cabin with grafitti sprayed all over it and chairs where you could sit down.

“We went inside the cabin and sat down for five minutes. We then climbed a ladder and got on top of the carriage. I went up first and the other two followed.

“We walked along the top of the train, walking towards the railings to get out.

“I was walking along first, and then Liam and then the other lad.

“We were walking along the centre of the curved roof. When we got to the end we could hear a ticking sound, when we got close to the wire.

“We sat down to drop off the carriage and Liam went to the other side.

“We heard a loud bang. Me and the other lad were both burnt so we ran-off.

“We couldn’t see Liam so we called for him a few times. We walked back because he wasn’t answering.

“We found him on the left hand side of the wagon. I tied my shirt around his head and ran to phone the ambulance.”

The court had heard that the youth suffered severe burns to his left arm.

Asked by the coroner whether he knew that he should not have been on the railway the teenager replied: “I know I wasn’t allowed on there.”

Mr Roger Kennedy, a solicitor representing EWS Railways, asked the youth if he had seen signs warning of the danger from overhead lines.

The replied: “No. I didn’t think the lines were live because it was a old wagon that is not used.”

The jury of two men and nine women were shown a series of photographs of the Allerton Freight Yard and a photograph of a warning sign was shown to the teenager.

Mr Kennedy said that the three boys had walked past five warning signs to get to the carriage, including two by the ladder they had climbed,

Mr Kennedy said: “Do you understand that sign means danger?” To which the youth replied “Yes”.

Pathologist Dr Jo-Louise McPartland said that Liam would have died instantly from electrocution.

She said: “With such a high voltage there would have been an abnormality in the heart. The heart would have stopped completely.

“The very high temperatures caused tissue damage. As soon as the power entered his body he would have died.”

Liam was a pupil at St Benedict’s RC High School, in Garston, and where he was a keen sporstsman.

His mother Linda Gill, had earlier told how she had performed the grim duty of identifying his charred remains at Alder Hey Hospital.

Cleaner Linda said: “I went to the hospital and I was anxious. I was taken into a room and a nurse came back. She took hold of me and said ‘I’m sorry your son is dead.’

“I started being hysterical and they picked me up off the floor. I was in complete shock.”

“Liam was a really lovely boy. He was a really nice. He was a well-liked lad and had lots of friends.

“Hopefully lessons will be learned and it will never happen again.”

The inquest continues and is expected to last until Wednesday.

Story via Click Liverpool.com

NY Metro Worker Receives $1.1M for Electrical Accident

April 21, 2010 Leave a comment

BRONX, NY – Jim Deacon knew his work testing the electrical system for Metro-North was dangerous, but when he suffered severe burns in a high-voltage explosion, he didn’t expect the railroad to blame him for it.

The Oct. 28, 2006, accident, in which 700 volts of current exploded, severely burning Deacon’s left hand and forearm, has been settled with the commuter railroad admitting fault and awarding him $1.1 million.

The case was settled last week in U.S. District Court in New Haven.

“This whole hand was black with skin hanging off of it,” Deacon, 51, said Monday, showing a hand that looks only mildly scarred after three surgeries.

Deacon was working on a malfunctioning switch box next to the electrified third rail in the Mott Haven section of the Bronx, N.Y., when he took off his rubber gloves to thread a small wire. What he didn’t know was that a cable from the third rail to a motor inside the box had detached and the motor housing was electrified. When the wire touched the housing, the arc created the explosion.

Deacon’s lawyer, Charles Goetsch of New Haven, said when they brought the case to Metro-North, they found the detached cable had been removed and management allegedly denied a video taken the day after the accident existed.

However, Deacon was slipped a bootlegged copy, which showed a supervisor telling a worker who wasn’t wearing gloves to remove a tool from the switch box, in violation of safety rules.

Deacon, who started working for the railroad in 1980, said it’s standard practice not to turn off the power when making such repairs. Complaining would result in being disciplined “or you’d just be made a pariah. … They’ll just start giving you a hard time somehow, they’ll make you miserable.”

An analysis of the accident by railroad safety consultant James Sottile of Southbridge, Mass., concluded, “It was standard practice in the Metro North Test Department not to de-energize the 700 volt power to the (switch) box when performing that troubleshooting repair.”

Goetsch pointed out Metro-North has procedures that require power be turned off before working on high-voltage equipment and that regular inspections be performed, but it didn’t appear the switch box had been checked in years. “You eliminate the risk entirely if you follow those procedures,” he said.

Marjorie Anders, spokeswoman for Metro-North, confirmed the railroad admitted liability in the case, calling Deacon “a longtime employee who has now been fairly compensated for his injury.”

Anders said that under the Federal Employers’ Liability Act, blame must be assigned to one or both parties and there is no workers’ compensation process on the railroad, making legal action automatic.

Story Via New Haven Register