Archive

Posts Tagged ‘school’

Girl Electrocuted by Electrical Wire in School Garden

November 19, 2010 Leave a comment

 Lucknow, India –  The manager of a private school in Uttar Pradesh’s Unnao district was booked Friday in connection with the death of a minor girl, who got electrocuted while plucking flowers from the flower bed in the school garden, which had been connected to a live wire by the school administration.Twelve-year-old Radha Singh was electrocuted Thursday evening after she came in contact with the wire in the Saraswati Vidya Mandir in Indira Nagar area of Unnao.

‘The girl, who was returning from her tuition classes, was killed on the spot,” police inspector Lakshman Rai told reporters Friday in Unnao, some 35 km from Lucknow.

‘We today (Friday) registered a case against the school manager Shankar Sahu in connection with the girl’s death,” he added.

Sahu is absconding.

‘Teams have been constituted to nab him,” said Rai.

Radha was a Class 7 student of another branch of the Saraswati Vidya Mandir in the Pooranpur area.

Story via Sify.com

Advertisements

Electrical Fire in ND School Causes Extensive Damage

November 18, 2010 Leave a comment

LIDGERWOOD, NORTH DAKOTA — Authorities probing the cause of a fire at the school in the southeastern North Dakota town of Lidgerwood have determined it was not intentionally set.

Deputy Fire Marshal Jerry Crane told The Forum that he was at the school Wednesday and plans to continue his investigation after the Veterans Day holiday.

School Superintendent Tony Grubb told KVLY-TV that officials suspect the fire was electrical in nature.

The fire late Tuesday afternoon at the K-12 school caused extensive damage. The school was hosting a regional volleyball tournament and fans, students and players were evacuated. No injuries were reported.

The tournament was moved to Lisbon. Officials are still deciding where students will attend classes during repairs.

Story via JamestownSun.com

UK Student Receives Electrical Shock at School

October 23, 2010 Leave a comment

RICHMOND, UNITED KINGDOM – A teenager is recovering after getting an electric shock in his school’s changing rooms.

Harvey Birtles, 13, returned to lessons with a bandaged hand yesterday after being hurt by a school light switch on Tuesday.

The Richmond Park Academy pupil said he could not believe what had happened and his mother spoke of her concerns for pupils’ safety at the school.

Harvey said: “Before PE I quickly went to the toilet and washed my hands. I dried them and then went to turn off the light switch.

“The whole thing blew up.”

The teenager described the feeling as a “direct beam of fire which really burned”.

Harvey, who was taken to Kingston Hospital for treatment, said he temporarily lost the ability to bend his right hand.

A fault with the wiring at the newly-opened academywas thought to be the cause.

Despite repeated calls to headteacher Lesley Kirby, the Richmond and Twickenham Times has received no response.

However, Mike Barnett, spokesman for Acadmies Enterprise Trust – which has responsibility for the school in Park Road – said it was “deeply regrettable” a child had been hurt.

He said: “Clearly there was a fault with the electric wiring.

“The defective wiring was immediately made safe, but we are extremely concerned that a child should have received any form of injury – their safety and welfare are our number one priorities.

“We are relieved and pleased to hear he is back at school and will be keeping a very watchful eye on him.”

Harvey’s shocked mum Sally said it was lucky her son did not have any underlying health conditions as the incident could have been fatal.

Mrs Birtles, of Railway Side, Barnes, added: “It was such a shock – I couldn’t believe it. This should not have happened. It is just not good enough for a school, there should be safety no matter what.

“For him to just touch a light switch and get electrocuted is just unbelievable. It’s unforgivable.”

Mrs Birtles said she would question the school regarding health and safety and would be speaking to a lawyer.

Story via Richmond and Twikenham Times