Posts Tagged ‘Scotland’

2 Electrical Contractors Suffer Burns in Electrical Accident in UK

December 6, 2011 Leave a comment

Glenrothes, Scotland – Two men are recovering in hospital after being injured in an explosion at a Fife engineering factory on Monday.  The men, both electricians, were working at Raytheon Systems in Glenrothes when the incident happened shortly after noon.

It is understood the 48-year-old and 22-year-old were both contractors working for local firm CF Electrical Services.

The 500 employees at the factory — which supplies to the defence, automotive and space industries — were evacuated after the accident and the two casualties were treated for serious burns to their faces and hands.

They were then rushed under police escort to Queen Margaret Hospital, Dunfermline, where they were monitored in the intensive care unit.

It was stressed that, while serious, their injuries are not thought to be life threatening and their condition was described as comfortable.

The two men, who have not been named, had been carrying out maintenance on one of the factory’s distribution boards and it is thought something fell and caused the explosion.

Fife Fire and Rescue Service sent two appliances to the building on Queensway Industrial Estate, and firefighters applied a cooling treatment to the men’s faces until an ambulance arrived.

As a precaution, firefighters then entered the factory, which makes components used in missiles and tanks used by NATO forces.

Paramedics then spent several minutes applying further emergency treatment before requesting a police escort to transfer the casualties to hospital.

It is believed that as well as burns, the men may have suffered some damage to their airways in the explosion.

Nick West, communications director with Raytheon UK, said: ”Two contractors were injured earlier today, whilst maintaining electrical equipment on our site. Clearly it would be inappropriate to make any comment until the incident has been fully investigated.”

A spokeswoman for the Health and Safety Executive said the organisation was aware of the incident.

”We are making initial enquiries and an inspector is on site this afternoon,” she said.

Story via TheCourrier.Co.UK

Scottish Man Killed When Polytunnels Contact Overhead Wire

BLAIRGOWRIE, SCOTLAND – A fruit picker told yesterday of his fight to save his brother who had been electrocuted by an 11,000 volt overhead power line.

Lucas Faltynowski, 24, spent 45 minutes giving older brother Gerard, 26, heart massage.

Gerard was electrocuted when polytunnels he was carrying hit lines six metres above the ground.

Lucas, of Arbroath, told a fatal electrical accident inquiry at Perth Sheriff Court he heard an “electrical noise” and rushed to help.

Other workers at Mains of Rattray Farm in nearby Blairgowrie spoke of a “blue flash”.

Dundee University pathologist Dr David Sadler said Gerard’s hands and toes were blistered and the shock ripped his socks and shoes.

Scottish and Southern Energy linesman Russell Airth, 56, said he warned the farm’s workers a fortnight before the accident to carry the polytunnels horizontally.

The farm’s owner Peter Thomson and his firm Thomas Thomson Ltd were fined more than £10,000 over Gerard’s death, which happened in July 2006.

Story Via Daily Record