Posts Tagged ‘short circuit’

INDIA: 32 die in Electrical Fire on Train

HYDERABAD, INDIA:   Thirty-two people were killed yesterday when fire ripped through a coach of an overnight express train carrying sleeping passengers from New Delhi to the southern city of Chennai.  An electrical short circuit was thought to be the most likely cause of the tragedy on the long-distance service, which happened in the early hours of the morning near the town of Nellore in Andhra Pradesh state.

Dozens of rescuers and survivors, together with a crowd of onlookers, watched as the blackened and twisted bodies of victims, some burnt beyond recognition, were carried out of the train and laid in rows alongside the railway line.  Relatives of the victims wailed and screamed, while dazed survivors sat quietly.  “I woke up when people were rushing into our compartment,” said a passenger called Shantanu. “I was in S-10, which was attached to the S-11 coach that caught fire. There was smoke all around. We tried to open the emergency window. People jumped out of it.” The central government’s press office said that 32 people had lost their lives and 25 were injured. It added that families of the deceased would be offered 500,000 rupees (Dh33,000) compensation.

Nellore’s chief district official, B Sreedhar, said that preliminary investigations suggested a short circuit near a toilet had started the electrical fire.  The railway minister, Mukul Roy, said an investigation was underway. “Nothing can be excluded and nothing can be said without an investigation,” he added, shortly before rescuers completed their search for bodies, which had lasted almost 12 hours.  The train was travelling at 110 kilometres per hour when it went through Nellore station, where staff noticed the fire and informed railway authorities. The burning carriage was quickly detached from the rest of the train which prevented the fire spreading.

The prime minister, Manmohan Singh, sent his condolences and has asked the national railways ministry to coordinate the relief effort, his office said.  India’s accident-prone rail network remains the country’s main form of long-distance travel, despite fierce competition from airlines. While new airport infrastructure is appearing, Indian railways – a much-romanticised legacy of British colonial rule – often appear stuck in a time-warp.  There were two fatal accidents in May this year alone. A collision killed 25 people near the southern city of Bangalore andf our people died when a train derailed in the northern state of Uttar Pradesh.

In March, Dinesh Trivedi, the railway minister, unveiled a draft budget for 2012-13 that included a major safety upgrade financed by across-the-board fare hikes. He was forced to withdraw it and resign after a rebellion by his own party, the Trinamool Congress, which objected to increasing ticket prices for the poorest travellers. Figures from the National Crime Records Bureau, which gathers the causes of fatalities across India, reveal that in 2009, 25,705 people died on the railways. The vast majority involved people falling from the open doors of carriages or being hit on the tracks.  India’s worst rail accident was in 1981 when a train plunged into a river in the eastern state of Bihar, killing an estimated 800 people.

Story via The National

India Power Plant Worker Killed in Electrical Fire

CHENNAI/METTUR  INDIA: The Tamil Nadu government has ordered an enquiry into the electrical fire accident at the 840MW Mettur thermal power plant which killed one person. The fire was sparked off from a conveyor belt carrying coal to the furnace. Sources in the Tamil Nadu Electricity Board told TOI that a probe would unearth the causes of the fire at the plant which forced managers to shut down the plant and deprive the state of a much-needed 800MW of supply.

Raising the issue in the state assembly, chief minister J Jayalalithaa said the fire, which broke out past midnight on Thursday, had completely damaged the conveyor belt and the space between the two towers in the coal handling area. All the four units at the power station were halted. Station chief engineer C Madhu told reporters soon after the fire was brought under control that the accident could have been caused by electrical short-circuit.

Story via Times of India

2 Firefighters Shocked Responding to Fire in MA

December 13, 2011 Leave a comment
BOSTON, MA Four Boston firefighters were hospitalized after battling a fire Saturday night in Boston’s Fenway neighborhood.
The fire at 25 Peterborough St. broke out in an apartment on the first floor about 8:15 p.m., sending the residents of the 30 units in the building to the street. 100 residents were forced to find other places to live.
Two firefighters went to the hospital after being shocked by electric lines; two others suffered chest pains.

 Fire officials believe the fire was started by an electrical short circuit. Damage to the building was estimated at $200,000.

Story via

Martin Technical Electrical Safety Services Arc Flash

Advertisement - Click on Ad to visit Martin Technical

Electric Short Causes Fire at Church in TX

December 2, 2010 Leave a comment

BROWNSVILLE, TX – The fire that forced a church to hold service outside is believed to have been an accident, according to the Brownsville fire chief.

Fire investigators say an electrical short started under the stage of Brownsville Fellowship Christian Church on Central Boulevard yesterday morning.

Investigators say a Christmas tree inside was not the source of the fire, but that the electrical short started the blaze and spread to the tree.

The church was forced to hold service outside Sunday morning. The building has major smoke damage.

Story via

Electrical Fires Causes $500K in Damages to Boston High Rise Building

October 19, 2010 Leave a comment

BOSTON, MASSACHUSSETS – An electrical fire erupted today in a Financial District high-rise building, causing $500,000 in damage, fire officials said.

The fire started at 4:55 a.m. on the 16th floor of 125 High St., said Boston Fire Department spokesman Steve MacDonald.

The fire triggered the building’s sprinkler system, which caused extensive water damage, MacDonald said.

“Several floors got water damage,” MacDonald said.

An electrical short circuit caused the fire, MacDonald said. Firefighters cleared the scene at 6:30 a.m., he said.

New York-based Tishman Speyer is the property’s rental agent

Story via Boston Herald